Front panel pinout for Compaq Evo P4 motherboard 308987-001

Old July 18th 06, 12:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Default Front panel pinout for Compaq Evo P4 motherboard 308987-001

Anybody have the pinout for the front panel leads for the Compaq Evo P4 microATX
motherboard, part #308897-001 ? Can't find anything on the HPaq web site, and
the board is not well marked. This is a board with two DIMM sockets running
diagonally. Thanks much... Ben Myers
Old July 19th 06, 01:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

To answer my own question, after searching for "Evo 310" manuals on the HP web
site, I downloaded the "product manual" for the Evo 310, c00283275.pdf. The
front panel is shown in a picture. I used Adobe Acrobat to view the document,
of course, and blew it up to 400% of actual size. Then I captured the screen
showning the blown up image of the front panel connectors, with a legend that
shows the use of the important wire pairs.

Gee, I'm glad HP makes this sort of thing ever so easy... Ben Myers

Old July 24th 06, 09:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

Ben Myers wrote:
To answer my own question, after searching for "Evo 310" manuals on the HP web
site, I downloaded the "product manual" for the Evo 310, c00283275.pdf. The
front panel is shown in a picture. I used Adobe Acrobat to view the document,
of course, and blew it up to 400% of actual size. Then I captured the screen
showning the blown up image of the front panel connectors, with a legend that
shows the use of the important wire pairs.

Gee, I'm glad HP makes this sort of thing ever so easy... Ben Myers

I've always been fond of the flat blade screwdriver method of finding
the power and reset pins.

Old July 24th 06, 11:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

The flat blade always works one way or another. The risk is always that the
wrong pair of pins gets shorted and the motherboard gets completely hosed.
That's why I tend to favor annotated images of boards, diagrams, tables and
charts in manufacturer documents. You see, I have this inbred phobia about
burning out motherboards, especially when they belong to someone else on my
repair bench. And yes, I get computers for service all the time to clean up
the mess the owner made by disconnecting all the wires. I also see all kinds
of stray motherboards here... Ben Myers