AMD has the answer for Intel

Old October 1st 03, 02:02 PM
chrisv

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 13:36:31 +0100, "Ben Pope"
wrote:

I agree... but using MHz it's confusing. A DDR bus clocked at 200MHz is
fine. Calling it a 400MHz bus is confusing... it is neither data rate
(which would be in bits per second) nor the clock.

It's about time that the marketing types got a clue. How many times have
people come here and asked

Well, it's going to be a confusing, for the lay person, forever. Do
you think the average person has any idea of what synchronous memory
transfers are, or what double-data-rate memory is? The average person
knows they want to surf the net and play EverQuest. If someone really
wants to understand what's going on inside a PC, they're going to have
to do a lot of research. These are complex machines.

Old October 1st 03, 06:00 PM
Ben Pope

wrote:

I agree... but using MHz it's confusing. A DDR bus clocked at 200MHz is
fine. Calling it a 400MHz bus is confusing... it is neither data rate
(which would be in bits per second) nor the clock.

It's about time that the marketing types got a clue. How many times have
people come here and asked

Well, it's going to be a confusing, for the lay person, forever. Do
you think the average person has any idea of what synchronous memory
transfers are, or what double-data-rate memory is? The average person
knows they want to surf the net and play EverQuest. If someone really
wants to understand what's going on inside a PC, they're going to have
to do a lot of research. These are complex machines.

I don't see as that as an excuse to lie or misrepresent the truth.

I think the average person can cope with double data rate means twice as
fast.

Ben

Old October 1st 03, 07:19 PM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 07:54:11 -0500, chrisv wrote:

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:10:23 GMT, "Wes Newell"
wrote:

Now the marketing idiots decided to define the
bus by the data rate, but using the clock speed unit of measure (MHz)
instead of the data rate unit of measure (Bps, bps). Why? Simple because
it looks better, and the majority of the people don't know it's just BS.

Clueless.

What's that, your nickname?

Old October 1st 03, 08:45 PM
Tony Hill

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 10:23:53 GMT, "Wes Newell"
wrote:
Both the P4 and Athlon now have a 200MHz FSB. Anything higher than that is
overclocked. There's no 400MHz FSB and no 800MHz fsb. Effective? Compared
to what? The P4 isn't an effective fsb of 800MHz if you compare it to the
Athlon FSB now is it? It's only effective 400MHz. Just another reason the
effective arguement is BS unless it's fully explained what it's compared
to. Yeah, I know, you know, but believe me, 90% of the people don't. And
that's why it's marketing BS.

I think what you're missing here is not so much that 90% (probably
more) of the people out there don't know, but rather that 90% of the
people out there don't care.

has been ok for
the PC world since we've had 64-bit buses on every system for nearly 10
years now.

10 years? It only started with the Athlon and P4. Prior to that all x86
cpu's had only one data bit per clock cycle.

Uhh, how does that change the fact that they were 64-bit buses?

So the Pentium was a 64-bit processor, as are all current PC chips

So if the P4 is a 64bit cpu, why won't it run a 64bit OS?

Because it's not a damn 64-bit CPU! That's what I've been trying to
get across the whole time! It's a 32-bit CPU that has a 64-bit data
bus.

I think you're confusing it's integrated memory controller with the
hypertransport link. Which is your "data bus"? At best this is only
slightly confusing in a single processor system, where you have memory
requests coming over one bus and all other I/O going over a single
hypertransport link. On multiprocessor systems, this gets MUCH worse,
as your memory could be local (going over your own memory bus) or remote
(going over a hypertransport link).

You're right. It's the data bus that's 72bits wide on the A64, and 144bits
on the Opteron/FX. Don't know what i was thinking.

Face it, defining the bit-ness of a chip by the width of the data bus
makes absolutely NO sense at all in this day and age! The Athlon64 and
Opteron are 64-bit chips because:

1. They have 64-bit integer registers 2. They use 64-bit address
pointers and address registers, program counter, etc.

So why does the Opteron/FX cpu's blow away the A64's at the same clock
speed if the data bus doesn't mean anything? That's the only difference
between them.

First off, the Opteron/Athlon64 FX don't "blow away" the Athlon64 at
the same clock speed. They are usually faster, but typically by only
10% or thereabouts. And if that were all that matters, why does the
P4, with it's 64-bit bus manage to match or beat the Opteron/Athlon64
FX in many tests, particularly if you're talking about the P4EE chip.

I'm not saying that the data bus doesn't mean anything, just that it
has no relevance as to whether the chip is a 32-bit chip or a 64-bit
chip.

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old October 1st 03, 08:45 PM
Tony Hill

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 18:00:11 +0100, "Ben Pope"
wrote:
chrisv wrote:
Well, it's going to be a confusing, for the lay person, forever. Do
you think the average person has any idea of what synchronous memory
transfers are, or what double-data-rate memory is? The average person
knows they want to surf the net and play EverQuest. If someone really
wants to understand what's going on inside a PC, they're going to have
to do a lot of research. These are complex machines.

I don't see as that as an excuse to lie or misrepresent the truth.

I think the average person can cope with double data rate means twice as
fast.

You've never worked in retail sales, have you?

Sure, plenty of people COULD cope with double data rate meaning twice
as fast, but most simply don't care. Right or wrong, that's the way
it is, and if you go around trying to force people to care about this
sort of thing, they're just going to walk out of the store and go buy
something else.

-------------
Old October 1st 03, 11:24 PM
Ben Pope

Tony Hill wrote:
You've never worked in retail sales, have you?

Actually I have... And as long as you don't expect everybody to be stupid
and explain it in simple terms, many actually want to know what it's all
about. This is not true of everybody or all products, but with PCs a lot of
people want to know what they are buying and make an effort to learn... it's
a big purchase.

Sure, plenty of people COULD cope with double data rate meaning twice
as fast, but most simply don't care. Right or wrong, that's the way
it is, and if you go around trying to force people to care about this
sort of thing, they're just going to walk out of the store and go buy
something else.

There are those that want to understand and those that don't want to.
Everybody is capable though. For those that don;t want to know, they're not
gonna care whether it's 800MHz, 400MHz or 200MHz. SDR, DDR or QDR. They
just want to know what they can do with it.

Ben

Old October 2nd 03, 07:46 AM
Wblane

Um, duh, aside from the frequency of the bus what else do you think determines
the speed at which a processor can fetch/write data/instructions? The 8086,
which featured a 16-bit databus was nearly twice as fast as an 8088 in
real-world applications. Guess why?

Sounds to me more like a question of people finally getting smacked
over the head with a clue. Who the hell cares what the width of the
data bus is?

Old October 2nd 03, 07:48 AM
Wblane

Maybe you had better look at a datasheet of the ORIGINAL Pentium before you
open your mouth. The Pentium 60 had a 64-bit databus.

Old October 2nd 03, 08:37 AM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 06:48:35 +0000, Wblane wrote:

has been ok for
the PC world since we've had 64-bit buses on every system for nearly 10
years now.

10 years? It only started with the Athlon and P4. Prior to that all x86
cpu's had only one data bit per clock cycle.

Maybe you had better look at a datasheet of the ORIGINAL Pentium before you
open your mouth. The Pentium 60 had a 64-bit databus.

And I though it was obvious that I was commenting on multiply data rates
per clock cycle here. You're in left field.

Old October 2nd 03, 02:15 PM
chrisv

wrote:

I agree... but using MHz it's confusing. A DDR bus clocked at 200MHz is
fine. Calling it a 400MHz bus is confusing... it is neither data rate
(which would be in bits per second) nor the clock.

It's about time that the marketing types got a clue. How many times have
people come here and asked

Well, it's going to be a confusing, for the lay person, forever. Do
you think the average person has any idea of what synchronous memory
transfers are, or what double-data-rate memory is? The average person
knows they want to surf the net and play EverQuest. If someone really
wants to understand what's going on inside a PC, they're going to have
to do a lot of research. These are complex machines.

I don't see as that as an excuse to lie or misrepresent the truth.

I have not seen you present evidence that anyone is lying or
"misrepresenting the truth". About the closest example to that that I
can think of is AMD's CPU naming. In any case, my point is that there
inevitably be loss of detail when a ton of information (how PC's work)
is compressed into an amount of information that the average consumer
can absorb. I have zero problem with the way, for example, Intel is
rating their front-side bus.

I think the average person can cope with double data rate means twice as
fast.

Twice as fast as what? RDRAM? What if I have two channels and you
have one? How wide are your channels? How many MB? What's the clock
rate? How about latency?

And this is only one small corner of the PC. Lossy compression is
REQUIRED.