Compaq Evo laptop LCD Screen issues

Old November 13th 05, 11:13 PM
DCA

Default Compaq Evo laptop LCD Screen issues

Hi all
I have an Evo N800V and it is very sick.

Every alternate vertical line is dead and it has a blue tint to what's left
and it is unusable at full native resolution
The LCD is a 15" 1400x1050 part number 286871-001

Having done a lot of research and substituting of parts, I have diagnosed it
is the LCD signal cable (not the inverter one)
The ribbon must have a break in it somewhere.

Anyway, does anyone have a source for these. Compaq (HP) state it only ships
as part of the LCD (which makes it uneconomical to fix)

I think I can get hold of a multi-LCD ribbon pack but having given HP the
part number, they say they can get it but cannot tell me what it is suitable
for, or what models it is compatible with - it's just an anonymous part
number it seems!

Any advice gratefully accepted!

David

Old January 23rd 06, 02:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

DCA Wrote:
[...]

Hi,

I'm having the same problem, and since you are a bit ahead of me, maybe
you've forund a resonable solution? I also think it a bit steep to spend
450$ on a new LCD.

regards,

Noel

--
Noel
Old January 24th 06, 03:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

It is the ribbon
There is no break in the ribbon
The pressure connection is bad

Old January 24th 06, 09:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Thank you for your answer.

-how do I fix that, is it a simple matter of securing something? And
how do I do that.

as you may guess, I'm not a computer technician, but I have
disassembled the laptop to verify the exact nature of the problem.

Sp di I repalce something (less than the whole machine) or can I fix
the connection you are talking about?

Again, thanks for your help.

Old January 24th 06, 02:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

The ribbon cable does this from opening and closing the
case.
It should not do this but it does
You need to inspect the connection at reach side
first and check the connection
If they are a flat stick connection
Try running your finger with firm pressure

Old January 24th 06, 04:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Right, I got that far. but, when I realease the pressure the screeen
goes back to "not-so-good".

Is there some way of getting a permanent fix, other than mentioned
before?

--
Noel
Old January 25th 06, 03:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Ok you know it is bad
You are talking about the flat end
I checked ou similar products and they are expensive for just the cable
Do not know at this point
Sometimes the pressure will fix it and sometimes not

And it may not be the cable it could be where the cable attaches
Most likely the ribbon cable but you never know

There may be a fix
I will ask my brother who is more experineced than me

Old January 25th 06, 09:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Thank you again.

The problem of caourse originates in the fact that Compaq / hp, only
distributes a new LCD including cables, and thus it is not possible to
get just the cable replaced. Sucks.

looking forward to know if your brother has anyting to add...

regards,

--
Noel
Old January 26th 06, 03:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

The Lcd screen and the cable come as one unit
That is the way that compaq purchases the item
Most screens of this type are manufactured this way

Compaq does not manufacture that unit
Neither do most companies Dell Gateway Etc
They buy them as such from a 10 cent per hour work force

If you had a proble with just the LCD there is
and they made just the LCD
What makes you think you can tack that connector back on
This type of connector is not made to go off on on and back again after a
few tries

You would be compalianing that sold you a LCD and not the ribbon with it

You would most likely be correct

This is the way it is done with the overseas production

Nothing is made here
They even cut cost on the 10 cent work force
It would be nice if they had decent connectors on each side

America likes to buy things cheap

We have no manufacturing base here
GM FORD and Chrysler are hurting

Everyone must have 3 cars in the driveway
Both husband and wife must work to make ends meet
We need the cell the cable the Sirius etc

Being the liberals that many Americans are
We must blame someone else
It can not be our fault
It must be someone else
This is the typical American attitude

I also fall in this group

We allow the killing of the unborn
Screem that it is cruel to give lethal injection to
a murderer
Like punishment was meant to be a nice thing

We do not understand why 911 could happen again
and meanwhile allow anyone to come over and through our borders

Look on Ebay I am sure you will find your part

Good luck

Old January 26th 06, 03:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

By the way
My brother uses a hair dryer to heat the tacky end first
if her has removed it
If it is still intact he uses a blade a low power soldering gun (gently)
The blade is used to absorb heat to make the tacky glue
a little more piable and to apply pressure

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 1 April 1st 05 04:05 PM
FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 06:50 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 March 13th 05 02:52 PM
Compaq Laptop Parts for Sale Valueplay Compaq Computers 1 February 20th 05 01:30 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 31st 04 02:23 PM