PCI Express x16 cards?

Old October 15th 05, 07:29 PM
Kelwin Delaunay

Default PCI Express x16 cards?

Why do so many of the cards for sale say supporting for example 256mb and
then have only 64mb onboard? Some even say 128mb with as little as 16mb
onboard. What gives with these things? Do they use base system memory? How
can that be good?

Thanks,
Kelwiin

Old October 16th 05, 12:02 AM
John McGaw

Kelwin Delaunay wrote:
Why do so many of the cards for sale say supporting for example 256mb and
then have only 64mb onboard? Some even say 128mb with as little as 16mb
onboard. What gives with these things? Do they use base system memory? How
can that be good?

Thanks,
Kelwiin

Can you provide specific manufacturers and model numbers for a few of
these "many" cards? If they are cheap cards then they are almost
certainly using system memory but without knowing which ones you are
writing about nobody can tell for sure. And as to how that can be good,
if you are looking for a really cheap card and don't do any gaming then
"good" might equal "costs very little" since the average computer user
doesn't really need much in the way of performance to view web pages, do
word processing, and play solitaire.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old October 17th 05, 03:51 AM
Kelwin Delaunay

Thank you for your courtesy. I am in fact referring to cards PCI Express x16
cards that claim to "support" more mb of video memory than are on the card.
It is very difficult reading the specs to understand what is going on with
these cards. My machine has mb builtin graphics which suck as it swallows a
great hunk of system RAM and appear to load the processor as well. The mb
has a PCI Express x16 slot so I was looking for a video card that would take
advantage of it and all I was seeing were these cards that filled the slot
and still seemed to depend on sytstem RAM. I searched many technical sites
as well as PC magazine looking for information on PCI Express x16 video
cards without success to find an explanation and to determine if there were
in fact cards with this interface that came with significant video memory
and used it. I have yet to find an answer.

Kelwin

"KCB" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message
In article , says...
Why do so many of the cards for sale say supporting for example 256mb
and
then have only 64mb onboard? Some even say 128mb with as little as 16mb
onboard. What gives with these things? Do they use base system memory?
How
can that be good?

Thanks,
Kelwiin

about. Then restate your questions so that they are understandable.
You make no sense.

Bill

I think he's talking about the budget cards that use system memory
directly. The boxes say "supports up to 256mb", or "supports up to 128mb",
when they really only have 16 or 32 built in.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2413

Old October 17th 05, 04:36 AM
Kelwin Delaunay

this link lists several of the cards to which I was referring there are a
whole lot more which come up in this search and simlarly on other sales
sites:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...s+x16&page= 4

When I asked what was up with these things, what I was asking, I guess not
too well, was: is there something about this interface that I do not
understand that makes these things a good choice given that one can get a
PCI video card with 128mb or more of on board memory for the same price as
these things and given as well that most low end mb's that you might stick
one in have builtin graphics and at least a couple of PCI slots. I gather,
too, that the average computer user you speak of would not have filled all
of these slots.

Thanks,
Kelwin

"John McGaw" wrote in message
.. .

Old October 17th 05, 05:26 AM
J. Clarke

Kelwin Delaunay wrote:

this link lists several of the cards to which I was referring there are a
whole lot more which come up in this search and simlarly on other sales
sites:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...= and&Range=1
%201&description=PCI+Express+x16&page=4

When I asked what was up with these things, what I was asking, I guess not
too well, was: is there something about this interface that I do not
understand that makes these things a good choice given that one can get a
PCI video card with 128mb or more of on board memory for the same price as
these things and given as well that most low end mb's that you might stick
one in have builtin graphics and at least a couple of PCI slots. I gather,
too, that the average computer user you speak of would not have filled all
of these slots.

Where can you get a PCI video board with a Geforce 6000 series or Radeon X
series chipset and 128 MB RAM?

Thanks,
Kelwin

"John McGaw" wrote in message
[...]