AMD Athlon 3GHz running at 1.211GHz

Old August 22nd 05, 06:25 PM
Steve

Default AMD Athlon 3GHz running at 1.211GHz

My Mother just bought a new PC with the AMD Athlon 3GHz processor
promised. According to the script on booting up it is running at
1.21GHz. Is there something set wrong?

Steve

Old August 22nd 05, 06:44 PM
chris

AMD does NOT make an Athlon processor which runs @ 3Ghz! What you are
talking about is an Athlon 3000+ which runs at 2Ghz.

If the bootup screen is reporting 1.21Ghz, is either because it isn't a
3000+ or, the BIOS setting are wrong or, there is a bug in the BIOS which is
reporting the wrong speed.

--
"All problems have a simple solution! The more complex the solution, the
more ludicrous the analogy!"
oups.com...

Old August 22nd 05, 06:54 PM
Derek Baker

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
My Mother just bought a new PC with the AMD Athlon 3GHz processor
promised. According to the script on booting up it is running at
1.21GHz. Is there something set wrong?

Steve

As another poster said, there is no 3Ghz Athlon. What does it say in Device
Manger, under Processors?

--
Derek

Old August 22nd 05, 07:53 PM
Steve

Thanks Chris

I'm sure that right - the advert was misleading. What should the
correct setting in BIOS be?

Steve

Old August 22nd 05, 08:29 PM
chris

Actually, I was a bit hasty in saying that it's an Athlon running at 2Ghz.
The 3000+ comes in many different flavours. Unless you know the exact model
of AMD processor you have, it's a guessing game for the BIOS settings.

The best thing to do would be to set the BIOS for auto detect the processor
( provided there are no dipswitches on the MB for FSB ).

Try downloading wcpuid from the following link and post back all the info.
it gives you.
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002.../download.html

--
"All problems have a simple solution! The more complex the solution, the
more ludicrous the analogy!"
ups.com...

Old August 22nd 05, 08:43 PM
Chris

"chris" wrote in message
AMD does NOT make an Athlon processor which runs @ 3Ghz! What you are
talking about is an Athlon 3000+ which runs at 2Ghz.

If the bootup screen is reporting 1.21Ghz, is either because it isn't a
3000+ or, the BIOS setting are wrong or, there is a bug in the BIOS which
is
reporting the wrong speed.

--
"All problems have a simple solution! The more complex the solution, the
more ludicrous the analogy!"
"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
My Mother just bought a new PC with the AMD Athlon 3GHz processor
promised. According to the script on booting up it is running at
1.21GHz. Is there something set wrong?

Steve

Last time I looked at 2GHz athlons it was the 2400+ T'bred B which ran at
2GHz with a 266MHz bus speed. I dont bother to keep up with all the new
accronyms as there's so many now, some for more than one chip.

I would imagine the problem with the OP's computer is that the bios setting
for the FSB speed is wrong - probably 100MHz instead of 133,166 or more
likely 200. If the PC has defaulted to slowest FSB of 100 then possibly the
CPU's default multiplier is 12 as it's showing processor speed of 1210MHz.
This may help find out what the processor is and what it's true speed should
be. Looking at the Device manager to find CPU type will be no help
whatsoever.

HTH

Chris

Old August 22nd 05, 09:19 PM
Derek Baker

"Chris" wrote in message

"chris" wrote in message
AMD does NOT make an Athlon processor which runs @ 3Ghz! What you are
talking about is an Athlon 3000+ which runs at 2Ghz.

If the bootup screen is reporting 1.21Ghz, is either because it isn't a
3000+ or, the BIOS setting are wrong or, there is a bug in the BIOS which
is
reporting the wrong speed.

--
"All problems have a simple solution! The more complex the solution, the
more ludicrous the analogy!"
"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I asked him to look in Device Manager to find out if was an XP or 64 3000+.

--
Derek

Old August 22nd 05, 10:37 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:25:25 -0700, Steve wrote:

My Mother just bought a new PC with the AMD Athlon 3GHz processor
promised. According to the script on booting up it is running at
1.21GHz. Is there something set wrong?

Need to know which AMD cpu (and MB) you actually have. None really run at
3GHz, but have a 3000+ rating, and there's several different models
besides just XP and Athlon 64's.
Socket A (462) K7 cpu's
3000+XP/333 runs at 13*166
3000+XP/400 runs at 10.5*200
Socket 754/939 K8 cpu's
3000+64's run at either 9*200, or 10*200, depending on model.

Old August 23rd 05, 12:09 PM
Dave

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
My Mother just bought a new PC with the AMD Athlon 3GHz processor
promised. According to the script on booting up it is running at
1.21GHz. Is there something set wrong?

It sounds like a Sempron 3000 Socket A running on a 100MHZ FSB instead of
the default 166MHz speed.

Check the BIOS and set the FSB to 166MHz.

Dave

Old August 23rd 05, 12:12 PM
Dave

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.08.22.21.39.11.419308@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:25:25 -0700, Steve wrote:

My Mother just bought a new PC with the AMD Athlon 3GHz processor
promised. According to the script on booting up it is running at
1.21GHz. Is there something set wrong?

Need to know which AMD cpu (and MB) you actually have. None really run at
3GHz, but have a 3000+ rating, and there's several different models
besides just XP and Athlon 64's.
Socket A (462) K7 cpu's
3000+XP/333 runs at 13*166
3000+XP/400 runs at 10.5*200
Socket 754/939 K8 cpu's
3000+64's run at either 9*200, or 10*200, depending on model.

Socket A Sempron 3000 runs at 12*166, 512 L2 cache.

Dave