Prime95 problem

Old August 20th 05, 12:37 PM
Anonymous

Default Prime95 problem

Hello,

I need suggestions.

I just upgraded my CPU from an Athlon 1.333 to an Athlon XP 2800+ Barton.

The motherboard is an ECS K7VTA3 v6.

When I had the slower CPU, Prime95 ran fine.

After the new CPU, I crash Prime95 immediately. I am wondering if
perhaps my memory isn't quite up to snuff. The specs are 512MB nonECC
2.5 3 3 7 @ 166MHz or 2 3 3 6 @ 133MHz. However, I have been running
MemTest for over an hour so far with no errors. I will say the memory
isnt the problem if I get through 6 hours.

I was thinking of underclocking the CPU by lowering the FSB to 133 to
see if Prime95 would work then. That would be lowing the CPU to a 2200.

Could I have a bad CPU?

Any help is appreciated.

Please respond via this newsgroup as I used a spamproof email address.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Old August 20th 05, 04:30 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 11:37:06 +0000, Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I need suggestions.

I just upgraded my CPU from an Athlon 1.333 to an Athlon XP 2800+ Barton.

The motherboard is an ECS K7VTA3 v6.

When I had the slower CPU, Prime95 ran fine.

After the new CPU, I crash Prime95 immediately. I am wondering if
perhaps my memory isn't quite up to snuff. The specs are 512MB nonECC
2.5 3 3 7 @ 166MHz or 2 3 3 6 @ 133MHz. However, I have been running
MemTest for over an hour so far with no errors. I will say the memory
isnt the problem if I get through 6 hours.

I was thinking of underclocking the CPU by lowering the FSB to 133 to
see if Prime95 would work then. That would be lowing the CPU to a 2200.

Could I have a bad CPU?

It's possible, but it's usually something else like power, heat or
something else.Have you tried monitoring your voltages and temps for high
temps or voltage fluctuations? If you're using your old cpu cooler it
could be it's not good enough or you have it not on the cpu good. You
might also need to increase vcore a tad. This can be done with the pinmod
if your board doesn't allow voltage changes.

Old August 20th 05, 05:55 PM
Anonymous

I wonder if the voltages might be the problem.

I don't believe temp is problem. This CPU is a lot cooler than the
1.333 MHz processor.

After running memtest for 6 hours I had no errors, so, I believe the
memory is fine.

I lowered the FSB to 133 from 166 and I have a stable system. Prime95
stress testing runs fine.

Bottom line, after some investigation is that I beleive this motherboard
isn't the best. I have used the SPD settings for RAM and also tried
setting manually when running @ 166 FSB. Interestingly, the manual
settings do not allow 7 for tRAS in the bios. Only 5 or 6. Either
setting and Prime95 crashes.

So, I wonder, should I run @ 166 and forget about Prime95, or run @ 133
and suffer a performance hit, but be able to run Prime95.

I wonder though... if Prime95 is crashing at best settings, would other
apps or the OS be unstable?

Any opinions are appreciated.

Old August 20th 05, 08:20 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:55:22 +0000, Anonymous wrote:

I wonder if the voltages might be the problem.

If they are dropping to a critical low under full load, yes.

I don't believe temp is problem. This CPU is a lot cooler than the
1.333 MHz processor.

That's good, and it should be. The old Tbirds ran real hot.

After running memtest for 6 hours I had no errors, so, I believe the
memory is fine.

I'd come to that conclusion too.

I lowered the FSB to 133 from 166 and I have a stable system. Prime95
stress testing runs fine.

That's good, but really doesn't tell you much.

Bottom line, after some investigation is that I beleive this motherboard
isn't the best. I have used the SPD settings for RAM and also tried
setting manually when running @ 166 FSB. Interestingly, the manual
settings do not allow 7 for tRAS in the bios. Only 5 or 6. Either
setting and Prime95 crashes.

So, I wonder, should I run @ 166 and forget about Prime95, or run @ 133
and suffer a performance hit, but be able to run Prime95.

I wonder though... if Prime95 is crashing at best settings, would other
apps or the OS be unstable?

I'm not sure if I'd trust it, but it could be a P95 problem only. at a
minimum, I'd use the pinmod to raise vcore to 1.675 or 1.7v and see what
that does. If it runs there, you might try a larger PSU at normal voltages.

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/ht...md_pinmod.html

Old August 24th 05, 02:04 PM
Anonymous

Wes,

I really don't want to have to do a pinmod.

I have concluded that either the CPU is getting too hot causing
instability, or, the PS isn't up to snuff, or the motherboard is quirky.

I have disabled the BIOS settings for shutting down the machine when CPU
temps get too high, but, I wonder if the CPU getting too hot can cause
reboots anyway.

I have purchased a heatsink/fan specifically for this CPU, as the old
one was a Thermaltake Vaolcano 7 that was used on the Thunderbird 1.333.

I guess we'll see what happens when it arrives.

I really don't think it is the PS, but I will be getting a multimeter
today to make sure.

Dave

Old August 24th 05, 03:31 PM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:04:24 +0000, Anonymous wrote:

Wes,

I really don't want to have to do a pinmod.

I have concluded that either the CPU is getting too hot causing
instability, or, the PS isn't up to snuff, or the motherboard is quirky.

What wattage PSU do you have? 300W or higher should be ok if it's in good
condition.

I have disabled the BIOS settings for shutting down the machine when CPU
temps get too high, but, I wonder if the CPU getting too hot can cause
reboots anyway.

Getting too hot would cause failures, but i really don't think that's the
problem from what you say.

I have purchased a heatsink/fan specifically for this CPU, as the old
one was a Thermaltake Vaolcano 7 that was used on the Thunderbird 1.333.

The V7 should be more than good enough for any XP cpu as long as it's not
clogged with dust and the thermal paste is ok.

I guess we'll see what happens when it arrives.

I really don't think it is the PS, but I will be getting a multimeter
today to make sure.

I'd just use some monitoring software like MBM to watch the voltages while
running P95. Voltages may lower, but they shouldn't lower too much and
they shouldn't fluctuate too much.

Old August 24th 05, 08:00 PM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:31:24 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

I'd just use some monitoring software like MBM to watch the voltages while
running P95. Voltages may lower, but they shouldn't lower too much and
they shouldn't fluctuate too much.

There's also the possibility that is software related. Good luck.