No More Ink Woes

Old August 14th 05, 07:42 PM
Rene Lamontagne

Default No More Ink Woes

Well, Finaly got fed up with dealing with ink And refilling ink carts.

Seeing I no longer am into photos I felt it time to switch to Color Laser,
The straw that finaly did it was when I refilled my 45 and 78 carts on my HP
Phosmart 1100 printer and spent much time on getting air out and nozzles
cleaned, then doing 2 photos Ok, next day again poor or no magenta and cyan!
cleaned and cursed to no avail so realized I needed new carts again, For
another $100.00 Cdn. (BTW the HP photosmart P1100 has been a great printer,
6 years and nary a problem with the printer itself)

So I said NO, and started researching Color Lasers, After much digging and
researching I decided on the OKI c5150n, 1200dpi, Networking, 12 page per
minute color and 20 page per minute black, And yes it does do these numbers
cosistantly.

Color prints on HP Gloss Laser paper are quite decent, not up to good inkjet
but good enough for me, Also I can Use true black to print any page WITHOUT
using up the CMY carts.

Refilling toner Carts apparently is a breeze and very cost efective, Will
look at this later, The carts included are good for 3000 prints , New or
refiils for carts is 5000 pages, Duty cycle for this printer is 50,000 per
month, this is really a small office machine so should last me for many
years.

I have printed 358 pages so far and used about 10% of the toner, I have it
on my network so both my son and I can use it without having to have my
computer turned on.

So far I am comletely satidfied with the speed and quality of it's output.

Regards, Rene Lamontagne

Old August 14th 05, 07:51 PM
Rene Lamontagne

"Rene Lamontagne" wrote in message
[...]

Oops, Help Spell Checker

So far I am Completely Satisfied with the speed and quality of it's output.

Regards, Rene Lamontagne

Old August 15th 05, 01:43 AM
Tony

"Rene Lamontagne" wrote:
[...]

I'm not surprised you are happy with the OKI c5150n it is one of a fine range
of colour lasers from OKI. We almost never have trouble with them and have an
installed base of many hundreds. Bit of a problem for the service business
because of their high reliability but that's good for the customer. Well priced
and cost per page is very competitive.
Tony

Old August 15th 05, 02:53 PM
Don Stauffer

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

Oops, Help Spell Checker

So far I am Completely Satisfied with the speed and quality of it's output.

Regards, Rene Lamontagne

I have both a laser B&W and an inkjet. Even when printing black and
white images, the laser is not really that good on images. Of course,
it is only a 600 dpi printer, compared to 2400 for inkjet.

So I only use the laser for text and draft stuff.
Old August 15th 05, 03:24 PM
Rene Lamontagne

"Don Stauffer" wrote in message
news
Rene Lamontagne wrote:

Oops, Help Spell Checker

So far I am Completely Satisfied with the speed and quality of it's
output.

Regards, Rene Lamontagne

I have both a laser B&W and an inkjet. Even when printing black and white
images, the laser is not really that good on images. Of course, it is
only a 600 dpi printer, compared to 2400 for inkjet.

So I only use the laser for text and draft stuff.

Well I didn't expect to get the same quality as a good inkjet, But at 1200
dpi I find it quite acceptable for my purpuse, Naturally this may not suit
people who are primarily interested in photo work.

If I need a few top quality prints I will just have them done at a photo
shop, But to me and my purpose the lasers advantages far outwiegt this one
issue.

For instance I needed a PDF manual which is composed of many technical
photos in color and is 161 pages long, total time for the job was 13 and 1/2
minutes double sided on bright white 24 lb paper, Beatiful job, looks like
it was done on a commercial press.

So as you can see each persons print jobs will vary widely and require
different approaches and equipment, In my case the Okidata c5150n was the
way to go, and I will never look back.

Regards, Rene Lamontagne

Old August 15th 05, 04:23 PM

In message agMLe.216142$5V4.33111@pd7tw3no, Rene Lamontagne
writes

So I said NO, and started researching Color Lasers, After much digging and
researching I decided on the OKI c5150n, 1200dpi, Networking, 12 page per
minute color and 20 page per minute black, And yes it does do these numbers
cosistantly.

Color prints on HP Gloss Laser paper are quite decent, not up to good inkjet
but good enough for me, Also I can Use true black to print any page WITHOUT
using up the CMY carts.

How do you find it, some reviews I've seen have moaned that the LED
technology of the OKIs doesn't produce as good colours as a traditional
laser or a solid ink.

--
Timothy
Old August 15th 05, 04:37 PM

In message , Don Stauffer
writes
Rene Lamontagne wrote:
Oops, Help Spell Checker
So far I am Completely Satisfied with the speed and quality of it's
output.
Regards, Rene Lamontagne

I have both a laser B&W and an inkjet. Even when printing black and
white images, the laser is not really that good on images. Of course,
it is only a 600 dpi printer, compared to 2400 for inkjet.

So I only use the laser for text and draft stuff.

You need to look at the dithering process it uses in the print
properties. A 300 dpi laser like the old IIp I had can churn out quite a
decent black and white image, although it will have dithering spots a
bit like a newspaper.

I remember that if I told it to print an image one pixel per dot it
would give me quite a decent (if small) image.

--
Timothy
Old August 15th 05, 07:44 PM
measekite

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

Well, Finaly got fed up with dealing with ink And refilling ink carts.

*Great! No need to keep supporting the whores.*

Old August 15th 05, 07:44 PM
Rene Lamontagne

" wrote in message
[...]

I have compared the store printouts from HP, Lexmark.Samsung and
Minolta/Konica and the results seemed comparable colorwise, There are about
6 color prfiles supplied with this unit, I am using 6500K -vivid and find
The color to match my monitor and Know good prints quite closely, so close
in fact that I have not bothered to tweak the colors at all.
I have never seen output of solid ink printers yet so can't comment on them.

Regards, Rene Lamontagne