CPU and Board Suggestion

Old October 16th 07, 01:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Joe_Z

Default CPU and Board Suggestion

I'm going 64 bit and would like to OC a little er maybe alot and maybe get a
larger CPU when they come down (if they ever do) I'd like the low voltage
version first so I can have time to save up for a 500w PSU later, I've
looked at the Asus boards with the long pipe copper heat sink and the xp
4200 I believe it is, anyway I'd just like a chipset that allows some
clocking and not break the bank before the quads come out, many thanks in
advance...

Old October 16th 07, 03:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

Joe_Z wrote:
I'm going 64 bit and would like to OC a little er maybe alot and maybe get a
larger CPU when they come down (if they ever do) I'd like the low voltage
version first so I can have time to save up for a 500w PSU later, I've
looked at the Asus boards with the long pipe copper heat sink and the xp
4200 I believe it is, anyway I'd just like a chipset that allows some
clocking and not break the bank before the quads come out, many thanks in
advance...

If you want to go AMD, they have introduced a great product for you.
The "black" edition processors, have unlocked multipliers. That means
you can just adjust the multiplier setting, to get whatever core
speed you want, without having to change the input clock to the CPU.
You'll need to pick up a heatsink/fan to use, as it is not included
with the "black" boxed processors.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W
Black Edition Processor - Retail $130
("Cooling device not included - Processor Only" - see spec section)

I take it, that this one is unlocked as well. It also does not come
with a cooler. But the power dissipation rating of these is higher
than for other, lower speed members of the AM2 family, so plan
accordingly. Since this is already pretty close to the top operating
frequency for the family, I would not expect this to overclock a
lot percentage-wise. Note that "black edition" is not mentioned
in the advertising copy.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail $210

You can check the power ratings of these products, by using
www.amdcompare.com . Overvolting the processor, makes it run hotter,
so buy a decent cooler.

HTH,
Paul
Old October 16th 07, 07:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 00:33:01 +0000, Joe_Z wrote:

I'm going 64 bit and would like to OC a little er maybe alot and maybe get a
larger CPU when they come down (if they ever do) I'd like the low voltage
version first so I can have time to save up for a 500w PSU later, I've
looked at the Asus boards with the long pipe copper heat sink and the xp
4200 I believe it is, anyway I'd just like a chipset that allows some
clocking and not break the bank before the quads come out, many thanks in
advance...

Going to be hard to beat the AM2 X2 3800+ for cost/performance/
overclockability at $55.

Old October 16th 07, 01:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Strutter

"Joe_Z" wrote in message
I'm going 64 bit and would like to OC a little er maybe alot and maybe get
a larger CPU when they come down (if they ever do) I'd like the low
voltage version first so I can have time to save up for a 500w PSU later,
I've looked at the Asus boards with the long pipe copper heat sink and the
xp 4200 I believe it is, anyway I'd just like a chipset that allows some
clocking and not break the bank before the quads come out, many thanks in
advance...

The setup that I'm currently running is an AM2 4400X2 Brisbane core (65w)
standard @ 2.3Ghz, I currently run it at 2.75Ghz using the standard heat
sink & fan, runs in the mid 40 degrees Celsius range, and runs perfectly
stable. I run it on an Asrock Crossfire board which is alright, but I
personally prefer the gigabyte boards. I run my RAM under clocked slightly
from 667 to 533 with lower timings, voltages are all stock settings and have
only raised the FSB. I've run it at 2.86Ghz, but had heat issues, so maybe
with some better cooling this cpu could reach the 2.9Ghz range.
So in my opinion, I'd definitely recommend buying one of the Brisbane
core (65w) cpu's or maybe try one of the newer 45w cpus hitting the market
recently.
Hope this helps a little.

Old October 17th 07, 04:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Joe_Z[_3_]

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Joe_Z wrote:
[...]

I've been and AMD man since I got my diron 700 clocked to a gig and
never looked back at intel and don't expect I'll ever look at the $250+
extra for a few megabytes more come on, many thanks for your input, will
stay with AMD forever...Joe

Old October 17th 07, 04:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Joe_Z[_3_]

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 00:33:01 +0000, Joe_Z wrote:

I'm going 64 bit and would like to OC a little er maybe alot and maybe
get a
larger CPU when they come down (if they ever do) I'd like the low voltage
version first so I can have time to save up for a 500w PSU later, I've
looked at the Asus boards with the long pipe copper heat sink and the xp
4200 I believe it is, anyway I'd just like a chipset that allows some
clocking and not break the bank before the quads come out, many thanks in
advance...

Going to be hard to beat the AM2 X2 3800+ for cost/performance/
overclockability at $55.

Your right, many thanks Wes...Joe

Old October 17th 07, 04:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Joe_Z[_3_]

"Strutter" wrote in message

"Joe_Z" wrote in message
[...]

It helped a lot, I lov AMD cpu's, they clock like crazy when you have
the correct ones, like my xp1700 that does 2gig @ 42c and 48 under full game
load, not that I'm a gamer, I do audio and 8 to 12 wave file "tracks" can
pull a system pretty hard, AMD can take the load if tweaked correctly about
98% of the time, many thanks again for your input...Joe

Old October 22nd 07, 05:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Dr.White[_2_]

"Joe_Z" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Joe_Z wrote:
[...]

AMD made some incredible CPUs, no doubt. Going back to the days of PR75(?)
v. Pentium and before. I remember thinking - what the hell was the point in
paying quadruple for the same performance (Athlon 800 v. P3-800). AMD always
had the best options, from budget to high-end. Athlon XP's just smashed
Intel's P4's all over the place, for much less money. But things have
changed massively, and Intel have the budget, midrange and top end CPU's
covered, their quad cores are long-proven, plus you can overclock the hell
out of cheap Core 2 Duos without even raising the voltage.

I really hope AMD can pull something astonishing out of the hat, God knows
they have been pioneers in the past, but they rested on their laurels and I
don't see the point in building a PC with a current AMD CPU, especially if
you're on a budget *and* you want to overclock, when an Intel build for the
same price can offer so much more power.

Regards,

Dr.White.

Old October 25th 07, 05:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Joe_Z[_3_]

"Dr.White" wrote in message
. uk...

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Joe_Z wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the input, muchly appreciated, I'll remain a loyal AMD fan
forever no question, my o'd duron 700 is still pumping at a 1gig 7 years
later , along with my other 8 AMD systems...Joe

I need a suggestion Il MeRoViNgIo General 3 October 19th 06 09:55 AM
Suggestion? Rayson Nvidia Videocards 8 August 19th 06 03:03 AM
cpu fan suggestion Xerxes Overclocking AMD Processors 1 June 3rd 04 08:27 PM
cpu fan suggestion Xerxes AMD Thunderbird Processors 1 June 3rd 04 08:27 PM
Asrock Asus Board K7S8X Board: K7S8XE on board sound Shep© Homebuilt PC's 0 December 11th 03 02:27 AM