Quietly cooling my Athlon on an A7V266

Old February 11th 07, 05:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Allie

Default Quietly cooling my Athlon on an A7V266

Hi Folks,

My Athlon Thunderbird socket A is running at around 1GHz on an
A7V266. I'd like to get a new heatsink and quiet cpu fan for it (the
old one is gummed up and noisy as hell). Anyone have any
suggestions? Don't want to spend a mint, of course. Thanks a ton.

Best,
Allie

Old February 11th 07, 06:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Amir Facade

This one works well on my Barton 2500+
Pretty quiet for around $15
Amir

ups.com...

Old February 11th 07, 03:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Wes Newell

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:57:44 -0800, Allie wrote:

My Athlon Thunderbird socket A is running at around 1GHz on an
A7V266. I'd like to get a new heatsink and quiet cpu fan for it (the
old one is gummed up and noisy as hell). Anyone have any
suggestions? Don't want to spend a mint, of course. Thanks a ton.

The one Amir listed looks like a good deal. If however the only problem
with yours is a noisey fan and gummed up, take it off, oil the fan
bearings and wash the HS. But if the fan on yours isn't an 80mm fan, then
it may not get as quiet as you'd like.

Old February 12th 07, 02:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ken Maltby

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:57:44 -0800, Allie wrote:

My Athlon Thunderbird socket A is running at around 1GHz on an
A7V266. I'd like to get a new heatsink and quiet cpu fan for it (the
old one is gummed up and noisy as hell). Anyone have any
suggestions? Don't want to spend a mint, of course. Thanks a ton.

The one Amir listed looks like a good deal. If however the only problem
with yours is a noisey fan and gummed up, take it off, oil the fan
bearings and wash the HS. But if the fan on yours isn't an 80mm fan, then
it may not get as quiet as you'd like.

All good suggestions, but since you only need to handle ~60watts
worth of heat, there might even be a passive cooler out there. Or
a cheap heatpipe one that will let you use a slow 120mm fan.

Just an idea.

Luck;
Ken

Old February 13th 07, 04:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Allie

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I'd love to use a passive
heatsink, but have been having trouble finding one that people say
they use on this processor specifically. I might go ahead an do all
the calculations, etc, but it'd be nice to hear suggestions if anyone
has them. Thanks again.

Best,
Allie

Old February 14th 07, 12:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Wes Newell

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 07:26:18 -0800, Allie wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I'd love to use a passive
heatsink, but have been having trouble finding one that people say
they use on this processor specifically. I might go ahead an do all
the calculations, etc, but it'd be nice to hear suggestions if anyone
has them. Thanks again.

You don't need passive cooling. Just a big HS with a big fan at a slow
rpm. You won't be able to hear it over the PSU/HDD noise. About the only
way you can do passive on a K7 CPU is to lower speed and vcore a lot and
use a big HS. AN dunless I was then runing software cooling with something
like athcool or the other one I used to use, i wouldn't trust it.