operating system not found

Old March 12th 05, 02:46 PM
pope10

Default operating system not found

During a boot up(win98)..I received a message O S not found..Bestbuy did
a diagnostic check and told me that compaq does not load a full System
restore on the single restore disk(oem)..They tell me it is a 2 disk
set?? My restore disk when installed comes up in spanish..Says
something about contacting compaq? Could this be true?? P.s iv'e even
tried a new hardrive..Still no help..Any help would be GREATLy
APPRECIATED

--
pope10
Old March 13th 05, 12:22 PM
HH

The Recovery CD that shipped with many units required the D:System_sav or
recovery partition to be intact in order to restore the original software
image on the hard drive. A full QuickRestore CD set is required if that
partition is missing or damaged. Unfortunately, when Microsoft dropped
support for all Win 9X versions prior to WinMe, HP/Compaq stopped offering
QR sets for those. you may have to purchase a full install CD of whatever Os
you want to use and install from that.
HH

news

Old March 13th 05, 01:53 PM
HH

Uh, do you mean FDISK /MBR ???
HH

"RWM" wrote in message ...
How about FIXMBR as a start?

HH wrote:

The Recovery CD that shipped with many units required the D:System_sav or
recovery partition to be intact in order to restore the original software
image on the hard drive. A full QuickRestore CD set is required if that
partition is missing or damaged. Unfortunately, when Microsoft dropped
support for all Win 9X versions prior to WinMe, HP/Compaq stopped offering
QR sets for those. you may have to purchase a full install CD of whatever
Os you want to use and install from that.
HH

news

Old March 13th 05, 02:45 PM
RWM

Yep, I was thinking W2K.... from the Recovery Console = FIXMBR (or
FIXBOOT), also available in MS KB for NT4.

HH wrote:

Uh, do you mean FDISK /MBR ???
HH

"RWM" wrote in message ...

How about FIXMBR as a start?

HH wrote:

The Recovery CD that shipped with many units required the D:System_sav or
recovery partition to be intact in order to restore the original software
image on the hard drive. A full QuickRestore CD set is required if that
partition is missing or damaged. Unfortunately, when Microsoft dropped
support for all Win 9X versions prior to WinMe, HP/Compaq stopped offering
QR sets for those. you may have to purchase a full install CD of whatever
Os you want to use and install from that.
HH

news