11.90v on +12.0v rail ok?

Old October 15th 03, 03:43 AM
)-()-(

Default 11.90v on +12.0v rail ok?

Replicant wrote:

I'm starting to think that this new Zalman 400w isn't as good as the
web reviewers made it out to be. 11.90v isn'ty good in my books and I
have been getting a number of ctd's in 3D games. I thought it was due
crap drivers for my R9800pro but now I'm starting to think otherwise.
The R9800pro use a 12v connector for power too so this would make
sense to me as the cause of the CTD's. R9800pro is just not getting
enough juice Scotty. What do you guys think?

Are you using a voltmeter, or a Motherboard monitor program ?

Old October 15th 03, 05:41 AM
The little lost angel

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:54:35 -0700, Replicant
wrote:

I'm starting to think that this new Zalman 400w isn't as good as the
web reviewers made it out to be. 11.90v isn'ty good in my books and I
have been getting a number of ctd's in 3D games. I thought it was due
crap drivers for my R9800pro but now I'm starting to think otherwise.
The R9800pro use a 12v connector for power too so this would make
sense to me as the cause of the CTD's. R9800pro is just not getting
enough juice Scotty. What do you guys think?

Have you got another spare PSU to test the hypothesis on?
One alternative is to remove some pieces of hardware and see if things
improve.

If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me
Old October 15th 03, 01:56 PM
chrisv

wrote:

I'm starting to think that this new Zalman 400w isn't as good as the
web reviewers made it out to be. 11.90v isn'ty good in my books and I
have been getting a number of ctd's in 3D games. I thought it was due
crap drivers for my R9800pro but now I'm starting to think otherwise.
The R9800pro use a 12v connector for power too so this would make
sense to me as the cause of the CTD's. R9800pro is just not getting
enough juice Scotty. What do you guys think?

Well, just how accurate do you think power supplies are? 11.9V is
less than 1% off the nominal 12V. ATX supplies only need to have a 5%
voltage tolerance.

Old October 16th 03, 11:41 AM
Replicant

chrisv wrote:

Well, just how accurate do you think power supplies are? 11.9V is
less than 1% off the nominal 12V. ATX supplies only need to have a 5%
voltage tolerance.

Well, all I know is that my 400w Antec gives me 12.16v so *my* tolerance
level is much lower than 5%. Heh. I've solved the problem but I changed so
much around that I'm not sure which is the culprit now. I'm wittling it
down right now as I put parts back in. I'm now starting to think that one
of my sticks of ram wasn't seated properly. I've even pulled my Audigy2 and
am using the onboard C-Media audio which isn't anywhere near as bas as I
thougt it would be.Might continue using it because their driver support is
more complete than Creative's. Using a 400w Antec PSU but will put the
Zalman back in once I determine I am stable with two sticks of 512mb ram.
Have been testing each stick by itself and they are both good. Ran memtest,
lots of benchmarks, games etc and all is well right now. Could be both
together is not good though. Sandra tells me I should use ECC memory when
having 1gb of ram installed, which I'm not doing.
Old October 18th 03, 01:30 AM
CLF

"Replicant" wrote in message
I'm starting to think that this new Zalman 400w isn't as good as the
web reviewers made it out to be. 11.90v isn'ty good in my books and I
have been getting a number of ctd's in 3D games. I thought it was due
crap drivers for my R9800pro but now I'm starting to think otherwise.
The R9800pro use a 12v connector for power too so this would make
sense to me as the cause of the CTD's. R9800pro is just not getting
enough juice Scotty. What do you guys think?

Hmmm.... IDK about that one, my 12v (notice how it is called a '12v' rather
than '12.0v' -- anybody with knowledge of high school chemistry or physics
knows about significant figures, and to say '12v' means it is merly more
than 11.5 but less than 12.5, but 12.0 means it is more than 12.05 but less
than 12.15, so you see where the level of accuracy is involved, and a 12v
rail can have atleast 11.5v before this theory doesnt hold, which is outside
that 5% level of tolerance anyways, so that rule takes over....), is running
at 11.7v on a 300w. I have no problems, I've been doing a bunch of stuff
today, and have 3 cd/dvd drives + 1 7200rpm hard drive in this thing, so
that can cause a bit of a load, especially given how i've burned about 30
cds today, and a few dvds.

Anyways, even at 11.77v it's only 2.5% off, so 11.9 is is not only less than
1% off, it is also rather perfect. I dont recall of anybody's pc i've seen
with 12.0v (if you want to get sooo technical, 12.000000v which is thousands
of times more precise, and what I think you are looking for).

In short, 11.9 is acceptable and I would look elsewhere to see why your
proggies are crashing. Here's a good hint, if it doesnt crash in a 2D mode,
but does in a 3D mode, then you can pretty much focus your attention on
something that is happening when you enter a 3D mode. Perhaps it has to
also do with overheating, but if you're concerned with the 11.9v on 12v rail
thing, then you've already checked that (not to mention given your equipment
and likely high budget, you also have some sort of super duper ultra cool
mega water system in there anyways, ultra quiet).

Old October 19th 03, 07:22 PM
The little lost angel

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 00:30:51 GMT, "CLF" wrote:

than 12.15, so you see where the level of accuracy is involved, and a 12v
rail can have atleast 11.5v before this theory doesnt hold, which is outside
that 5% level of tolerance anyways, so that rule takes over....), is running

Erm, actually 11.5V is still within the tolerance. Spec is 12V +/- 5%
so that's 11.4 to 12.6 no?

If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me