How to tweak the keyboard repeat delay?

Old July 26th 04, 01:46 AM
Euclid

Default How to tweak the keyboard repeat delay?

My keyboard repeat delay is either too fast or too slow. The settings
available via Control Panel, Keyboard don't give the delay I need. If I
select the fastest speed (i.e. no delay), that's too fast because I get
skips (unwanted spaces) when I'm doing ordinary typing. If I set the slider
one notch slower, that's too slow. I then have to wait too long for a repeat
to begin when I want it. I need a setting somewhere between those two
values, but apparently windows doesn't provide it.

If I understand correctly the smallest increment for a repeat delay is 1/4th
second, a windows default. If I could somehow change that to about 1/10th
second, then I could probably make the setting I need. In reading about this
via google, they mention that the keyboard repeat delay increment is
controlled by something called "typematic" in BIOS, but I'm pretty sure that
is not available to me in my BIOS on this Compaq Presario.

I have an ordinary PS2 keyboard with Windows XP Home. Is there any way to
make the keyboard repeat delay about 1/10th second?
-E

Old July 26th 04, 10:59 AM
HH

E,
You're right about no BIOS setting for the typematic rate. Have you tried a
Google search? There must be some 3rd party utility out there.
HH

link.net...

Old July 26th 04, 04:13 PM
Euclid

I haven't attempted a serious google search yet. My motivation is minimal,
but am reminded about the problem everytime I get a skip (an extra space)
while typing. All things considered, that's the option I prefer, because I
can't stand to wait for the repeatkey action to begin. I use repeatkey
regularly, a zillion times per day it seems.

Maybe I'll get mad enough to do a serious search sometime. Somebody
mentioned elsewhere that there used to be a utility to allow special BIOS
changes, such as those hidden by the Compaq BIOS user interface, but I don't
have a name for it.
-E

"HH" wrote in message
E,
You're right about no BIOS setting for the typematic rate. Have you tried

Google search? There must be some 3rd party utility out there.
HH

link.net...

Old July 26th 04, 09:26 PM
HH

I really doubt such features are hidden. They simply are not included in the
Compaq BIOS. The BIOS in my current Presario, the S5200CL, has more
adjustability than most Presario BIOSs I've seen, but still pretty barren
compared to a full featured Award or AMI BIOS.
HH

news

"HH" wrote in message
E,
You're right about no BIOS setting for the typematic rate. Have you

tried
Google search? There must be some 3rd party utility out there.
HH

link.net...