Presario 1260 bios upgrade (was: Upgrade to Win 2k or XP fails/hangs)

Old July 26th 04, 12:12 PM
Tom Garcia

Default Presario 1260 bios upgrade (was: Upgrade to Win 2k or XP fails/hangs)

I know this is an old post, but for any other readers, I just
successfully installed w2k on a 1260, without any magic keypresses to
disable ACPI.. every time a reboot happened I had to switch off the
machine and let it cold-start, however, otherwise the screen would corrupt
and the machine eventually hang (which is probably demonstrating the ACPI
problem!).

However, I am seeing the hard drive spin down after about 60 seconds of
inactivity, regardless of sleep time settings in BIOS or control panel.
Earlier posts suggest this is a known problem with the 1260 and that some
BIOS upgrade fixed it. However, I can't find specifically a BIOS upgrade
at:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...dlc =en&os=20

Does anyone have one?

(Another FYI for the archives: my floppy drive is broken. The ROMpaq for
the KBC/battery controller seemed to install fine by extracting
files from the disk image and booting Win98 to safe mode command prompt.
Hope I'll have as much success with the BIOS upgrade ;-)

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:17:10 +0200, Dionysios wrote:

I have a Compaq Presario 1260 with 160MB RAM and I tried to install
win2000 by booting from the win2000 CDROM but the installation hangs
while switching to the graphical section (when "Setup Is Starting
Windows" screen appears).

I've upgraded the BIOS (ROMPaq - http://tinyurl.com/3gk4l) and installed
the Battery Controller/KBC Firmware Update (http://tinyurl.com/3gk4l)
but it still hangs! I've tried everything mentioned in
http://tinyurl.com/yqjcg and http://tinyurl.com/22h5g but it still
hangs! I've tried to install winXP but it hangs in the same manner.

--
Tom Garcia |

Old July 26th 04, 01:39 PM
HH

No BIOS updates are listed for the 1260 for any OS on the HP site, as far as
I can tell. W2K was not a supported OS on the 1200s, so that is likely the
reason.
HH

news

Old July 26th 04, 02:51 PM
Tom Garcia

Compaq support just told me the upgrade wasn't available, but some
wading reveals sp9678 on the FTP site, fixing the spin down problem. The
same update allegedly applies for many 12xx models. Hooray.

(But seems later BIOS upgrades to fix ACPI issues were never released :/.)

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:12:20 +0100, I wrote:

However, I am seeing the hard drive spin down after about 60 seconds of
inactivity, regardless of sleep time settings in BIOS or control panel.
Earlier posts suggest this is a known problem with the 1260 and that some
BIOS upgrade fixed it. However, I can't find specifically a BIOS upgrade
at:

snip

--
Tom Garcia |