A limit on number of USB hubs in Windows 7?

Old August 6th 10, 12:53 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Grandfather of TOS

Default A limit on number of USB hubs in Windows 7?

get better quality hubs, make sure all of them are the same brand.

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message ...

I've got three 4-port hubs on my system. From time to time after a
reboot, some of them don't enumerate properly, and you have to unplug
and replug them. Is there some way in software to get Windows to rescan
them? Of course that won't do any good if the USB hub that your mouse
and keyboard are on is the one that doesn't get enumerated properly, but
I'm tired of reaching into the back to unplug them.

Also is there a known limit on how many USB devices that can be put into
a single machine? I have at least over a dozen USB devices connected at
a time usually, sometimes more.

Yousuf Khan
Old August 6th 10, 02:31 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Shoe

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 07:07:34 -0400, "Dave \"Crash\" Dummy"
wrote:

Yousuf Khan wrote:
I've got three 4-port hubs on my system. From time to time after a
reboot, some of them don't enumerate properly, and you have to unplug
and replug them. Is there some way in software to get Windows to
rescan them? Of course that won't do any good if the USB hub that
your mouse and keyboard are on is the one that doesn't get enumerated
properly, but I'm tired of reaching into the back to unplug them.

Also is there a known limit on how many USB devices that can be put
into a single machine? I have at least over a dozen USB devices
connected at a time usually, sometimes more.

Yousuf Khan

I don't know squat about USB, but you might avoid the mouse/keyboard
uncertainty by using the PS/2 connectors (if available) for them, instead.

I've been having a problem with my wireless keyboard and mouse for a
long time. They don't work at boot until the OS starts and they will
not wake the computer from sleep (Windows 7). Another response in
this thread said that they should be connected directly to a port on
the motherboard. Mine was connected to a slot on an expansion card. I
moved the plug to the motherboard and it fixed the problem. It
appears as if the computer sees hub connections and expansion card
connection differently than motherboard connections. Problem solved
for me - thanks to the person who posted that solution. By the way, I
talked to Intel online chat and they said the problem was that my
motherboard is not fully compatible with Windows 7, even though there
is no problem when the OS is running.
Old August 6th 10, 06:39 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 8/6/2010 7:53 AM, Grandfather of TOS wrote:
get better quality hubs, make sure all of them are the same brand.

How do you know they aren't all that already?

Yousuf Khan
Old August 6th 10, 07:36 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Grandfather of TOS

Because I have intuition. If they are so good take them back and ask for a
refund and buy something else.

Old August 6th 10, 11:14 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Yousuf Khan

On 8/6/2010 2:36 PM, Grandfather of TOS wrote:
Because I have intuition. If they are so good take them back and ask for
a refund and buy something else.

Ah, I see, you use the same method of purchasing computer gear as you do
for ladies' purses?

Yousuf Khan
Old August 7th 10, 02:33 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Bob I

On 8/5/2010 11:48 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 05/08/2010 10:09 PM, Al Dykes wrote:
Are they all powered hubs?

No, one of them was, and that was the one with the biggest problems. The
problems got slightly better when I removed the power cord from it.

When it was self-powered, eventually it started crashing the machine.
Not right away, but the problems got worse and worse until the machine
got unstable and crashed. When I removed the power cord from it, it
would just sometimes fail to enumerate, but it wouldn't crash the machine.

Yousuf Khan

Sounds like a flaky hub.

Old April 14th 11, 09:01 AM
martincrow martincrow is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandfather of TOS View Post
Go **** yourself you moronic *******....

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message ...

On 8/6/2010 2:36 PM, Grandfather of TOS wrote:
Because I have intuition. If they are so good take them back and ask for
a refund and buy something else.

Ah, I see, you use the same method of purchasing computer gear as you do
for ladies' purses?

Yousuf Khan
You cant make the adjustment then just get new ones, i think the problem is with the compatibility, and when you attach such devices they always not work. I am also using window 7 but never seen problem such like that, but the driver installed on the system should be checked before the use, if you get the solution please inform me, i also want to know what exactly the problem is.

Last edited by martincrow : April 25th 11 at 07:10 AM.