Which is better, heat pipe or heat sinks/fan CPU cooling solution. ?

Old May 27th 05, 12:24 AM
stubborn

Default Which is better, heat pipe or heat sinks/fan CPU cooling solution. ?

On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:46:45 GMT, "Nospam" wrote:

I'm looking to purchase a heat sink and fan for the AMD Athlon 64 3500+
(Winchester) core.socket 939. There are new heat pipe technology heat sinks
out there these days and I need to know If heat pipe technology is superior
to the standard copper or aluminum heat sink/fans that I have been using for
years. and what brand and model would recommend for either technology.
Please give me you opinions on this matter.

Last night I installed a Thermalright 120 on my P4e 3.2 oc'ed to 3.6.
Using the stock HS/fan I was idling at 55/40 and under Prime 95
maximum heat I was running 70/45 (with instability). After an eight
hour burn in (with no failures) I am now getting idle temps of 47/28
and load temps of 60/41.

Of course the P4e uses the Prescott core and typically runs much
hotter than other cpu's. As I write this I am running Prime 95, a
flash program, and the virus folding program. CPU usage is at 100%.
The stock HS/fan would have crashed long ago. Current temps: 58/40.

System Specs:
Chip: Intel P4E 3.2 Prescott @ 3.52 MHz. 1 MB L-2 cache (core voltage
@ 1.392, Thermalright 120 hs/fan).
FSB: OC'ed @ 4 x 220 = 880MHz
Mobo: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
PS: 530 w
RAM: 2x Corsair CMX512-4000 Extreme DDR SDRAM PC4000 (250 MHz)
Video Card: Albatron GeForce 6800GT 256 / 2ns DDR3
Vid Drivers: Tweaks R Us 75.90's
Video Card OC: 404/1100
DirectX Version 9.0c
Fastwrites: Enabled
Side-band Addressing: Enabled
AGP Apertu 128 MB
HDD: Maxtor 80 gig 7200 rpm DMA 5
HDD: Maxtor 80 gig 7200 rpm DMA 5
Sound Card: Creative Audigy2 ZS w/ Creative 5300 5.1 speakers
OS: Win XP-2 Pro
Case: Luan Li alum/435 ATXmed (black)
Monitor: Sony PREMIERPRO 23" Wide Screen Flat Panel LCD SDM-234/B @
1920x1200x60Hz DVI-D (Primary)
Monitor: NEC MultiSync LCD 1850E @ "1280x1024 @ 72Hz" 32 bit color
Analog (Secondary)
Mouse: Logitech MX-Laser 1000 w/ func gaming pad

stubborn