How long does a thermal paste/grease last for Intel P3 CPUs?

Old August 16th 03, 09:17 AM

Default How long does a thermal paste/grease last for Intel P3 CPUs?

Hi. I am wondering. How long does one thermal paste/grease last for a
Pentium III 600 Mhz CPU (Katami/Slot 1)? I noticed that a year ago I
had to clean the CPU's old grease/paste and put a new supply. After a
year, my computer started crashing when in stress (e.g., compiling and
getting too hot; 106 degrees(F)).

I do a lot of compiling on this machine. My room can get very hot during
summer times (85 degrees(F)). I didn't have this problem until a few days
ago, and in the past few months, it has been very hot so it didn't just
get hotter. Even during cooler hours (at night), my computer will still
crash due to enornmous stress and heat it produces. I am wondering if
thermal paste/grease is supposed to last years.

Thank you in advance.
--
"I have to sit up with a sick ant." --unknown
/\___/\
| |o o| | E-mail: NT or NT
\ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
( )
Old August 16th 03, 04:48 PM
Kelly Mclaren

First thing to check, are all your fans working? dust bunnies inside the
case?

Marc..

Old August 16th 03, 04:56 PM
Rob Stow

wrote in message

Hi. I am wondering. How long does one thermal paste/grease last for a
Pentium III 600 Mhz CPU (Katami/Slot 1)? I noticed that a year ago I
had to clean the CPU's old grease/paste and put a new supply. After a
year, my computer started crashing when in stress (e.g., compiling and
getting too hot; 106 degrees(F)).

I do a lot of compiling on this machine. My room can get very hot during
summer times (85 degrees(F)). I didn't have this problem until a few days
ago, and in the past few months, it has been very hot so it didn't just
get hotter. Even during cooler hours (at night), my computer will still
crash due to enornmous stress and heat it produces. I am wondering if
thermal paste/grease is supposed to last years.

You might just have to accept that sometimes it is simply too hot in
your room for your computer. My apartment often hits 33'C when I am away
during the day and the cooling system for my computer just can't do
the job when the ambient temp is that high - I have to fire up the
air conditioner and wait until the temp comes down to at least 30'C.

Old August 17th 03, 08:33 AM

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Kelly Mclaren wrote:
First thing to check, are all your fans working? dust bunnies inside the
case?

Yep, both power supply fan and CPU fan. Temperatures are similiar before and
after the problem started. It is the same exact problem last year before I
put a new supply of thermal paste/grease for the CPU.

Hi. I am wondering. How long does one thermal paste/grease last for a
Pentium III 600 Mhz CPU (Katami/Slot 1)? I noticed that a year ago I
had to clean the CPU's old grease/paste and put a new supply. After a
year, my computer started crashing when in stress (e.g., compiling and
getting too hot; 106 degrees(F)).

I do a lot of compiling on this machine. My room can get very hot during
summer times (85 degrees(F)). I didn't have this problem until a few days
ago, and in the past few months, it has been very hot so it didn't just
get hotter. Even during cooler hours (at night), my computer will still
crash due to enornmous stress and heat it produces. I am wondering if
thermal paste/grease is supposed to last years.

Thank you in advance.

--
"I killed an ant, now all my relatives are afraid of me." --unknown
/\___/\
Old August 17th 03, 08:34 AM

wrote in message

Hi. I am wondering. How long does one thermal paste/grease last for a
Pentium III 600 Mhz CPU (Katami/Slot 1)? I noticed that a year ago I
had to clean the CPU's old grease/paste and put a new supply. After a
year, my computer started crashing when in stress (e.g., compiling and
getting too hot; 106 degrees(F)).

I do a lot of compiling on this machine. My room can get very hot during
summer times (85 degrees(F)). I didn't have this problem until a few days
ago, and in the past few months, it has been very hot so it didn't just
get hotter. Even during cooler hours (at night), my computer will still
crash due to enornmous stress and heat it produces. I am wondering if
thermal paste/grease is supposed to last years.

You might just have to accept that sometimes it is simply too hot in
your room for your computer. My apartment often hits 33'C when I am away

Hmm, the weather and my room was hot last month too. I only get problems
if I do something intensive like compile, run cpuburn, etc. Right now, the
CPU temperature is 102 degrees(F) idled.

during the day and the cooling system for my computer just can't do
the job when the ambient temp is that high - I have to fire up the
air conditioner and wait until the temp comes down to at least 30'C.

Still crashes even at night and the CPU temperature is in the 90s.
Old August 18th 03, 01:41 AM

6 months? Dang!! Are you serious that peanut butter grease work?

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems sadfasgf . wrote:
I would not give it more than 6 months. That is what you get whit synthetic
pastes. After changing the paste for the third time I desided to try peanut
butter. The crease in it keeps it conductive for years. Watch the chunky
varietes though.

Old August 18th 03, 01:36 PM
Bob Shuman

"Kelly Mclaren" wrote in message
.. .
First thing to check, are all your fans working? dust bunnies inside the
case?

Agreed. Also, are you overclocking ? If so, may need to slow back down.

Marc..

Old August 19th 03, 12:25 PM
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems Gnasher wrote:
On this day of our lord, 19 Aug 2003 00:07:50 GMT, Arno Wagner
quilled:

Used correctly it lasts decades.

Really? And how would you know that? I don't know about thermal paste
but I know that thermal tape crap doesn't last long. I remember taking
off an old T-Bird 1.3ghz cpu where I had used the provided tape
instead of grease and the tape was completely gone (dissolved from
heat).

Tape and grease is not suitable to be removed and re-attached.
If the cooler and the power-semiconductor (CPU) are planar
enough the grease/pad will be streteched so thin that they are
invisible.

Apart from that I have now been doing electronics for over 20
years and the 80 or 90C a CPU heats up is nothing special.
Many power semiconductors are rated for up to 200C and they
are mounted using termal grease. Problems with this stuff
only happen if cooler and semiconductor are moved or if there
is a significant gap between cooler and semiconductor, which
causes "pumpout" in temperature-changes.

Power semiconductor technology is nothing new and is
well understood today.

Regards,
Arno

Old August 20th 03, 05:07 AM

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems George Macdonald wrote:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 08:17:03 -0000, wrote:

Hi. I am wondering. How long does one thermal paste/grease last for a
Pentium III 600 Mhz CPU (Katami/Slot 1)? I noticed that a year ago I
had to clean the CPU's old grease/paste and put a new supply. After a
year, my computer started crashing when in stress (e.g., compiling and
getting too hot; 106 degrees(F)).

First people get annoyed when you quote temps in ?F - it's not considered
suitable for scientific work. Are you sure your CPU is only at 106?

Yes. Since I am from U.S.A, I am used to say fahrenheight and I don't have
a calculator nor remember the formula to translate to C.

(~41?C)? The Katmai 600MHz was one of the hottest CPUs for its day - it
was basically an overclocked part by Intel. Then again absolute temps from

Hmm, I didn't know that. Maybe that is why I had so many problems with heat
and CPU stress. I remember buying it the first time (yes, I even tried another
CPU) that my games and anything intensive (like CPUburn) crashed like heck.
This was on an ASUS P3B-F motherboard before swiching to my old DFI motheboard
(the one I have now). Identical symptoms.

mbrd monitors are not a good measure due to calibration differences. WHat
you need to look at is relative temps: working vs. not working?

The BIOS and softwares were the identical. Right now, almost idled
temperatures 98.6 degrees(F)/38.0 degrees(C) with:
load average: 0.12, 0.17, 0.11 ... Not working temperatures were listed in
my original posts. I don't want to compile or do anything intensive to crash
again. The system has been up for 2 days so far, pretty much idling.

Before the problems came back up from my compile, I had 160+ days uptime.
Darn it. :P

Was that CPU a retail version with the Intel installed heatsink/fan? I

Yep. Retail with the goodies.

still have my retail PIII 450 and it runs at 65?C on a warmish day - say
25-30?C room ambient. I've never touched the thermal grease on it because
it looks like it is still a paste - the stuff that I can see anyway. The
lower cost thermal pastes *do* tend to separate out and bleed the
oil/grease away, particularly for the cache chips which do not actually
make direct contact with the heatsink plate - IOW the thermal paste
actually fills an air gap.

That is what happened last time. I am thinking the grease fell apart
again. I don't remember what brand I used last time since it was almost
a year ago or so. Which brand do you suggest? I live in Southern CA, USA.

I do a lot of compiling on this machine. My room can get very hot during
summer times (85 degrees(F)). I didn't have this problem until a few days
ago, and in the past few months, it has been very hot so it didn't just
get hotter. Even during cooler hours (at night), my computer will still
crash due to enornmous stress and heat it produces. I am wondering if
thermal paste/grease is supposed to last years.

You might want to take a look at the phase change thermal interface
materials that AMD recommends for their current CPUs. Other than that
maybe a better thermal grease would work better and make sure you don't use
too much. Also, have you checked the heatsink fins are not clogged with
dust?

Fins seem to look fine. I am thinking it is the grease since it is a
repeat of the last time the grease had to be recreated.
--
/ /\ /\ \ Ant @ The Ant Farm:
http://antfarm.ma.cx

CPU thermal paste? Ablang General 47 May 3rd 04 10:09 AM
Get the Serial Number with Visual Basic Michael Wittmann General 15 November 15th 03 06:03 PM
Thermal pad or Thermal paste? Vin Overclocking 73 September 17th 03 05:38 AM
Thermal pad or Thermal paste? Vin Overclocking AMD Processors 68 September 17th 03 05:38 AM
Intel thermal pad or Arctic Silver? kony General 3 July 4th 03 12:35 AM