Q: Is the Parhelia fan noisy?

Old August 24th 04, 06:13 AM
Synapse Syndrome

Default Q: Is the Parhelia fan noisy?

I need to get a new graphics card.

I am considering a mid range 3Dlabs VP or nVidia Quadro4 card, and I thought
I might as well give the Parhelia a look.

I need it for CAD and graphic design work as well as 3D rendering. Solid
OpenGL is essential.

How do you think the Parhelia measured up to these cards? I like Matrox
cards as the display given by my old G450 is noticeably sharper than my
GeForce4.

Also, is the fan noisy? I've made some effort to make my computer as quiet
as possible, so I don't want a screaming graphics card ruining it.

ss.

Old August 24th 04, 09:50 AM
Ken

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 05:13:42 GMT, "Synapse Syndrome"
wrote:

Also, is the fan noisy? I've made some effort to make my computer as quiet
as possible, so I don't want a screaming graphics card ruining it.

I can tell you that my P750 fan are a little noisy,
but don't know if the Parhelia use the same type of fan?

Old August 24th 04, 01:14 PM
Arthur Hagen

Synapse Syndrome wrote:
I need to get a new graphics card.

I am considering a mid range 3Dlabs VP or nVidia Quadro4 card, and I
thought I might as well give the Parhelia a look.

I need it for CAD and graphic design work as well as 3D rendering.
Solid OpenGL is essential.

The Parhelia doesn't support the latest OpenGL versions, but to its
advantage, it does have workstation drivers available that's certified for
specific 3D and CAD programs.

How do you think the Parhelia measured up to these cards? I like
Matrox cards as the display given by my old G450 is noticeably
sharper than my GeForce4.

Also, is the fan noisy? I've made some effort to make my computer as
quiet as possible, so I don't want a screaming graphics card ruining
it.

The Parhelia is, unfortunately, quite noisy -- at least on the retail model.
However, there is one Zalman GPU heatsink (ZM-80C) that also fits the
Parhelia, and that would make it near silent.

Regards,
--
*Art

Old August 24th 04, 05:13 PM
AS

If you don't need 3 monitors at once, you can also look at P650. It is based
on the same chip and has no fan at all.

Old August 24th 04, 05:36 PM
Synapse Syndrome

"AS" wrote in message
If you don't need 3 monitors at once, you can also look at P650. It is

based
on the same chip and has no fan at all.

Good idea. I will not be making use of three monitors, especially as they
all have to be at the same resolution.

Does it compare well in speed though? I already feel that the Parhelia
isn't as fast a card as I could get for my CAD stuff.

I need OpenGL fast enough for complex CAD models to rotate smoothly. So I
don't really need crazy framerates, but is the P650 good enough for this?

How does the P750 compare to the P650 in your opinion? I have noticed that
it has the triple-head feature, which I am not interested in.

ss.

Old August 24th 04, 05:47 PM
Synapse Syndrome

"Synapse Syndrome" wrote in message

"AS" wrote in message
If you don't need 3 monitors at once, you can also look at P650. It is

based
on the same chip and has no fan at all.

Good idea. I will not be making use of three monitors, especially as they
all have to be at the same resolution.

Does it compare well in speed though? I already feel that the Parhelia
isn't as fast a card as I could get for my CAD stuff.

I need OpenGL fast enough for complex CAD models to rotate smoothly. So I
don't really need crazy framerates, but is the P650 good enough for this?

How does the P750 compare to the P650 in your opinion? I have noticed

that
it has the triple-head feature, which I am not interested in.

It's okay. I found this:
http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/c...s_parhelia.cfm

Doesn't look like the P650 can display 2048 x 1536 in dual head mode. I
need this on one of my monitors, which is a main reason for me considering
Matrox.

I think a Parhelia with the Zalman cooler suggested is where I'm going.

ss.

Old August 24th 04, 06:30 PM
AS

If you need that specific resolution, then it's another case. Anyway, the
same link doesn't state Parhelia is able to display in that resolution with
tripple setup. Well, as long as you don't need it...

I can't say anything about performence in CAD. I play with Photoshop and
some video applications, which is 2D world. Maybe someone else can help
here.