Ancient history ? P5A and K6/2/III (+) chips any luck ?

Old November 3rd 03, 05:49 AM
R. Asby Dragon

Default Ancient history ? P5A and K6/2/III (+) chips any luck ?

Says it almost all...
What BIOS ?

Old November 3rd 03, 06:33 AM
Menuz2

"R. Asby Dragon" wrote in message
Says it almost all...
What BIOS ?

The lastest bios (I think beta) detected my K6-2+ 550 without a hitch. I am
now running a K6-III (not plus) and it detects it fine. I have several
problems with the box: 1) The K6-2+ is a 2V part but it needed 2.1V to run.
Not a big deal. 2) I seem to have memory problems durning th post. I have
one memory stick (256M) that is detected as 512M. This causes crashes.
Under Linux, I tell it what size the memory is so it is not a problem. 3)
Don't forget to use the low-density memory. 4) There seems to be a bug in
the some of the later boards. Check out this page:
http://www.upgradeability.com/K6plus...ource=Overture for more
information but I think it is that ...

.... There is a big problem with the ALI V Chipset Rev G (built in P5A rev
1.05 and 1.06) and P5A-B rev 1.05. In these mobos the K6-2+ works like a 486
CPU.

Nuz

Old November 3rd 03, 07:46 AM
Paul

In article , "Menuz2"
wrote:

[...]

This page also offers advice.

http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

HTH,
Paul
Old November 3rd 03, 04:17 PM
Kyle Brant

http://www-stud.uni-essen.de/~sw0729...lus/eindex.htm

Click the MB (motherboard) button on the left to get detailed info on
MB compatibility list.

--
Best regards,
Kyle

Old November 6th 03, 12:54 AM
ChinnoDog

I have a P5A-B that I just upgraded to a K6II/500 and it works fine. Its
running Redhat 9. I had a K6II/333 in it before with no problems. I'm
pretty sure it is running the latest BIOS. I'm anal-retentive about it. I
know, big upgrade, right? Its just a toy. =) With a little luck its going
to be running Freevo and hiding in my living room.