Me and my bad luck.. What can I do???????

Old July 7th 04, 08:50 PM
Carlos Arruda

Default Me and my bad luck.. What can I do???????

Ok guys, here I am again.

It's about my server...

http://www.carlos-arruda.com/my_server.htm

http://www.carlos-arruda.com/problems

I just build as I sad in a previous post, a server machine.

It's a 2 x 2.8 GHz Intel Xeon with 512K cache running at a 533 MHz front
side buzz.

It has 2 x 256Mb of DDR266Mhz ECC 2.5V

It's a Gigabyte motherboard model GA-8IPXDR-E.

It has a Antec True550P EPS12V 550W max power supply.

Bottom line now is that I can't have signal on my keyboard connected through
PS/2 port, worse when connected to the PS/2 port the system does not passes
image to the monitor or beeps but it does powers up.

You unplug it and 5 to 9 seconds you have image in the screen.

I've tried many PS/2 keyboards and the same happens, they've all been tested
and are in good working condition.

I've just bought an USB one. Once plugged in the system does boots in a
matter of 5 to 9 seconds without any problems but it does not detects a
keyboard still.

Once it boots up after it has done the POST I get 2 + 1 beep and then the
following message:

CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad

Press F1 to Run Setup

Press F2 to load default values and continue_

( I do understand this as is the first time that the motherboard might be
running with these specs, so it needs some things changed on its BIOS)

Well its useless to say that without a Keyboard I can't do any of these.

Anybody out there with any ideas of what the problem might be?

Any help is welcome as I'm totally desperate.

Best regards

Carlos Arruda

P.S.: The reply e-mail is valid....

Old July 7th 04, 09:35 PM
GTS

I think you will have to reset the BIOS by removing the battery or using the
reset BIOS jumper.
Once into the BIOS with a working keyboard you should load optimized
defaults before changing any settings for your particular hardware.

Old July 7th 04, 09:58 PM
Carlos Arruda

Hello GTS.
Believe I've done that for about 20 or more times, reseted on the jumper and
I've taken the battery like 3 times for about 15 minuts each time.
I really do not know what to do besides getting a new board.
Thanks
Carlos

Old July 7th 04, 10:24 PM
dg

Can a floppy drive be recognized? If so, I would flash the motherboard
bios. If you are clever you should be able to do this without a keyboard.
If you can't get that far, try disabling the integral SCSI adapter, heck
disable everything that you don't absolutely need. And also, you may try
running just 1 processor while you straighten this thing out. Maybe 1 of 2
processors is bad or something. First order of business is to flash that
thing-I have had corrupted bios before that simply needed to be reflashed.
Good luck.

--Dan

Old July 8th 04, 05:16 AM
Carlos Arruda

Hello DG.
I'll try that although I'm not sure if a floppy is recognized but I'm sure
that the cd-rom is as it's all I see in the boot.
This is a bit diferent than normal PC boot.
Can I really flash the BIOS without a keyboard?
I mean wouldn't I need a keyboard to you know hit any key to continue
thing???
I'll give it a go....
Thanks
Carlos

m...

Old July 8th 04, 06:01 AM
Carlos Arruda

Hello again...
I would have to do something like a bat file to that without a Keyboard
isn't it?
I might need your help as I do not how to instruct the system to hit any key
or just hit enter on a bat file so that it don't need the use of a keyboard.
Carlos

m...

Old July 8th 04, 05:08 PM
dg

First obtain the bios file and flashing utility. If you are lucky there
will be a utility that makes a boot disk and requires no keyboard input. If
not, you may need to get creative with batch files, do some google groups
searches as there is actually a newsgroup for batch file programming. I may
be able to help with specific questions.

--Dan

"Carlos Arruda" wrote in message
Hello again...
I would have to do something like a bat file to that without a Keyboard
isn't it?
I might need your help as I do not how to instruct the system to hit any

key
or just hit enter on a bat file so that it don't need the use of a

keyboard.
Carlos

m...