Scanning negs, I'm tearing my hair out! Please help

Old June 24th 08, 02:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
PenelopeWakeham

Default Scanning negs, I'm tearing my hair out! Please help

I am unable to get my Epson perfection 2450 photo to scan negatives. I have
done everything in the manuals and what I can find online. I must be missing
something somewhere. I'm lost. Can anyone give me a step by step?
I have Twain 5 loaded
Document Source to TPU: Color neg film
Image type: Color Photo - Tried Preview Automatic thumbnail preview for
film, both on and off
Destination: Epson stylus printer (photo)

I have of course removed the panel in the lid and put the negs in the holder.

Preview goes through the process blue light on lid but produces a black
screen (in preview screen on right)
Full scan produces a black screen and a document in Photoshop - all black.
The fully automatic mode does not recognise the negs.

Would very much appreciate any advice. Thanks, Penelope

Old June 25th 08, 12:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Kennedy McEwen

In article 8627bd41867fb@uwe, PenelopeWakeham
writes
I am unable to get my Epson perfection 2450 photo to scan negatives. I have
done everything in the manuals and what I can find online. I must be missing
something somewhere. I'm lost. Can anyone give me a step by step?
I have Twain 5 loaded
Document Source to TPU: Color neg film
Image type: Color Photo - Tried Preview Automatic thumbnail preview for
film, both on and off
Destination: Epson stylus printer (photo)

I have of course removed the panel in the lid and put the negs in the holder.

Preview goes through the process blue light on lid but produces a black
screen (in preview screen on right)

That doesn't sound right - the preview *should* show the negs.

Full scan produces a black screen and a document in Photoshop - all black.

Well, whilst undesirable, it is at least consistent. :-(

The fully automatic mode does not recognise the negs.

If it doesn't preview then the automatic mode won't have anything to
work with.

My guess is that the TPU lamp isn't lighting up. It should light up the
translucent patch behind the panel that you removed from the lid.

Check that the connector to the lid is securely plugged into the back of
the scanner (next to the USB cable). It probably is, as you noticed the
blue light on the lid working, but its best to be sure before wasting
time on further checks. Unplug and replug it a few times even if it
looks secure just in case it is oxidised terminals.

If that isn't the problem then I suggest flipping the lid open and
running a preview scan again. The blue light on the lid may light again
suggesting the TPU is working, but does the TPU lamp under the lid light
up? If it doesn't, that is where your problem lies - it could be a
faulty lamp. If, instead, the lamp in the base unit lights and scans
across under the glass then it is more likely to be a faulty connector
to the lid, which isn't recognising the transparency lamp.

Assuming both of these are OK - the underside of the lid lights up and
the light in the base of the scanner doesn't - then I would suspect a
software problem. Un-install the Epson scanner drivers, reboot and
re-install.
--
Kennedy
Old June 25th 08, 01:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
PenelopeWakeham via HWKB.com

Kennedy, my goodness how clever you are! I'm not sure what did it but I did
everything the same so I think it was the connection in the lid. I had made
sure it was connected and firm BUT it must have been the taking it out and
plugging it back in several times that did the trick. Just goes to show the
old 'have you tried turning it off and turning back on again' rule still
holds true. Thanks very much. Penelope

Old June 26th 08, 02:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Kennedy McEwen

In article 8633d76bba7cb@uwe, PenelopeWakeham via HWKB.com
writes
Kennedy, my goodness how clever you are! I'm not sure what did it but I did
everything the same so I think it was the connection in the lid. I had made
sure it was connected and firm BUT it must have been the taking it out and
plugging it back in several times that did the trick. Just goes to show the
old 'have you tried turning it off and turning back on again' rule still
holds true. Thanks very much. Penelope

You're welcome. Those connectors on the back of Epson scanners are
prone to building up a coat of oxidation - they aren't gold plated - so
they are the first thing to check if you get problems. You'll probably
find it happens again in a year or so. Pushing it out and in several
times usually fixes it.
--
Kennedy
Old June 30th 08, 01:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
PenelopeWakeham via HWKB.com

You're welcome. Those connectors on the back of Epson scanners are
prone to building up a coat of oxidation - they aren't gold plated - so
they are the first thing to check if you get problems. You'll probably
find it happens again in a year or so. Pushing it out and in several
times usually fixes it.

Thanks, I'll remember that! I've found lots of photos that I didn't know I
had - of me when I was young and beautiful! What fun!!
Thanks for your help again. Regards, Penelope