Lacie - whose drives do they use ?

Old August 20th 06, 08:54 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
sunday

Default Lacie - whose drives do they use ?

Would you guys use a Lacie as a now and again backup drive - so not constant
use

thinking of heat etc

Old August 20th 06, 09:27 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Odie Ferrous

sunday wrote:

Would you guys use a Lacie as a now and again backup drive - so not constant
use

thinking of heat etc

NO. Their units tend to have no active cooling, their drives are
stuffed tightly into a compact space, and they use inferior drives such
as Maxtor or Western Digital.

You're asking for trouble with LaCie. They are the commonest external
drives I receive for recovery. *ALL* related to heat problems.

Get yourself a generic (unbranded) case (with fan cooling) and buy the
drives (Seagate) separately.

You'll retain the 5-year warranty on the drives, and chances are you'll
have an infinitely better setup.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Old August 20th 06, 09:50 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
sunday

ok - i'll take that as a hint then

thanks for the feedback

pity they didnt get porsche to design the insides as well

Old August 21st 06, 01:58 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Odie Ferrous wrote:
sunday wrote:

Would you guys use a Lacie as a now and again backup drive - so not constant
use

thinking of heat etc

NO. Their units tend to have no active cooling, their drives are
stuffed tightly into a compact space, and they use inferior drives such
as Maxtor or Western Digital.

Why am I not surprised? Image everything. Quality is nothing.
Buy, sheep, buy!

You're asking for trouble with LaCie. They are the commonest external
drives I receive for recovery. *ALL* related to heat problems.

Putting a Maxtor disk in a badly cooled case virtually ensures trouble.

Get yourself a generic (unbranded) case (with fan cooling) and buy the
drives (Seagate) separately.

You'll retain the 5-year warranty on the drives, and chances are you'll
have an infinitely better setup.

I second that. I do this with samsung drives and passively cooled
enclosures from Agrosy, but I don't put high load on the drives and
check temperature regularly. No unattended operation either. For
best reliability definitely go with a fab coolde one.

Arno
Old August 21st 06, 02:03 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously sunday wrote:

ok - i'll take that as a hint then

thanks for the feedback

pity they didnt get porsche to design the insides as well

Typical. One other company where I had this effect is Sony. I had a
nice (or so I thought) SR11k VAIO notebook. Very good keyboard. very
good display. Sleek looks. Only it self-destructed after 2 years of
light use by overheating its chipset. (It went in stages. At the
end I could get it to work opened and fanned manually. Had to.)

Before that the PCMCIA slot became unusable since it was not propperly
mounted. And putting in an other disk required removal of some
mounting from the touch-pad.

Either gross incompetence in the designers or intent. For a $3000
machine that is entirely unaccepteble. They will not get my
business again, ever.

Arno

Old August 21st 06, 09:41 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Aidan Karley

In article , Odie Ferrous wrote:
You're asking for trouble with LaCie. They are the commonest external
drives I receive for recovery. *ALL* related to heat problems.

One of my colleagues has had to cross this bridge himself. Lacie
are a no-no for him too. Same as "DisGo" for me when it comes to USB
memory sticks.

--
Aidan Karley, FGS
Aberdeen, Scotland

Old August 21st 06, 11:38 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Fabien LE LEZ

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 20:54:54 +0100, "sunday" :

Would you guys use a Lacie

I wouldn't buy any Lacie products, but for reasons that are kinda
off-topic he

In December 2004, I wanted to buy a good 19" CRT monitor. So I bought
a Lacie.
First disappointment when I received it: it was exactly the same as a
Mitsubishi, only two or three times more expensive.
Second disappointment: it didn't work properly: the sides were
brighter than the center. Of course, I tested it on two different PCs
(one with a ATI and one with a nVidia), and tried every fine-tuning I
could think of. So I know for sure the monitor was defective.
[BTW, the Mitsubishi I bought at the same time for the office, had the
same tube, but without the defect.]

I shipped it back to Lacie, and they sent me another monitor. Which
had the same problem.
I shipped it back to Lacie, and they sent me a third monitor. Which
had the same problem.

According to what a Lacie technician told me, it seems that they have
no way of testing the monitors before shipping them!

After four months or so, I managed to get a refund.
Meanwhile, I bought a 200-EUR LG Flatron, which seems to be the
cheapest and the best 19" CRT monitor at that time.

Back to the subject, I know for sure I don't want to have anything to
do with Lacie any more.

Old August 21st 06, 07:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Aidan Karley

In article , Fabien LE LEZ
wrote:
According to what a Lacie technician told me, it seems that they have
no way of testing the monitors before shipping them!

Which says that they're box-shifters. Doesn't surprise me.

Back to the subject, I know for sure I don't want to have anything to
do with Lacie any more.

I'll tell Robin that his campaign to drive them into bankruptcy
has another member, or fellow-traveller.

--
Aidan Karley, FGS
Aberdeen, Scotland

Old August 25th 06, 06:16 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously sunday wrote:

ok - i'll take that as a hint then

thanks for the feedback

pity they didnt get porsche to design the insides as well

Typical. One other company where I had this effect is Sony. I had a
nice (or so I thought) SR11k VAIO notebook. Very good keyboard. very
good display. Sleek looks. Only it self-destructed after 2 years of
light use by overheating its chipset. (It went in stages. At the
end I could get it to work opened and fanned manually. Had to.)

Before that the PCMCIA slot became unusable since it was not propperly
mounted. And putting in an other disk required removal of some
mounting from the touch-pad.

Either gross incompetence in the designers or intent. For a $3000
machine that is entirely unaccepteble. They will not get my
business again, ever.

Arno

cut earlier messages, for brevity

Hello, Arno:

I've never been a Sony fan, either. Highly overrated, in my opinion!

Cordially,
John Turco