Bad luck with water cooler pumps.

Old July 7th 04, 01:55 AM
YanquiDawg

Default Bad luck with water cooler pumps.

I don't know what the problem is. But,in the last year or so,I've have three
water pumps screw up on me.Two different brands too. Two are ViaAqua
1300's(good pumps I thought).
It starts with nasty grinding noise from the pump then gets progressively
worse. Now,my pump doesn't start all the time when I give it power. I'll
usually have to give the reservoir a bang on the desk to get it started. What's
happening to these things?There isn't much to them.Are they repairable? I use
distilled water and a small amount of water wetter.Thanks,Dawg
Old July 7th 04, 02:15 AM
Steve Wolfe

I don't know what the problem is. But,in the last year or so,I've have
three
water pumps screw up on me.Two different brands too. Two are ViaAqua
1300's(good pumps I thought).
It starts with nasty grinding noise from the pump then gets progressively
worse. Now,my pump doesn't start all the time when I give it power. I'll
usually have to give the reservoir a bang on the desk to get it started.

What's
happening to these things?There isn't much to them.Are they repairable? I

use
distilled water and a small amount of water wetter.Thanks,Dawg

I'm not familiar with ViaAqua pumps, but after years of sal****er fish
tanks, I can tell you that 95% of all of the pumps on the market are cheap
pieces of junk. Maxijets are about the cheapest you'll get into reliable
pumps, but an Eheim is going to be even more preferable. Until your pump's
rating is in horsepower, there aren't many decent-quality options - and even
in the larger, more expensive pumps, there are still a bunch of pieces of
junk.

steve

Old July 7th 04, 10:44 PM
YanquiDawg

Thanks Steve,
But don't these things last longer than 4-6 months? What is breaking or causing
the grinding,seizing?Is it the water wetter additive? These mag pumps don't
seem that complicated. I took one apart and didn't see anything obvious.
Old July 8th 04, 10:25 PM
YanquiDawg

On the pump I took apart,I did notice a white film of stuff on the "barrel".
Looked like lime or calcium.But,how could that be?I used distilled water.

Unfortunately, that is something that I can't tell without looking at it.
: ) I doubt that it's the water wetter. Take a good look at the impeller,
and take a good look at the bearing surfaces, and look for grit, dirt, or
pieces of plastic/metal/corrosion/whatever.

steve

Old July 11th 04, 07:58 PM
Billy_Bat

"YanquiDawg" wrote in message
On the pump I took apart,I did notice a white film of stuff on the

"barrel".
Looked like lime or calcium.But,how could that be?I used distilled water.

Unfortunately, that is something that I can't tell without looking at

it.
: ) I doubt that it's the water wetter. Take a good look at the

impeller,
and take a good look at the bearing surfaces, and look for grit, dirt, or
pieces of plastic/metal/corrosion/whatever.

steve

How about the shaft the impeller rides on? It might be worn thin, which
makes the impeller looser, causing it to fail to start unless tapped, and
will make a decent amount of noise. 4-6 months sounds about right for those
tyoes of impellers. I went through the same thing with our fish tank. We had
two pumps running, and they usuall lasted about that long. What you want is
a better quality pump, with a different type of impeller setup.

Good Luck!
BB

Old July 13th 04, 03:33 AM
~misfit~

YanquiDawg wrote:
Okay,so who makes good water pumps.Eheim? And who else?? Thanks,Dawg

Eheim are the best, I don't see the point in looking elsewhere. (I was a
commercial tropical fish breeder for years and a hobbyist all my life),
Eheim are unbeatable for reliability and longevity. I have tried many other
brands, trying to save money. It's false economy, especially in
mission-critical applications like water cooling a CPU.
--
~misfit~

Old July 14th 04, 02:51 AM
Moderately Confused

"~misfit~" wrote in message
YanquiDawg wrote:
Okay,so who makes good water pumps.Eheim? And who else?? Thanks,Dawg

Eheim are the best, I don't see the point in looking elsewhere. (I was a
commercial tropical fish breeder for years and a hobbyist all my life),
Eheim are unbeatable for reliability and longevity. I have tried many

other
brands, trying to save money. It's false economy, especially in
mission-critical applications like water cooling a CPU.
--
~misfit~

What you want is
a better quality pump, with a different type of impeller setup.

Good Luck!
BB

I've had very good luck with a Supreme Mag Drive pump in my pond, and it's
on it's third year now. Then again, I don't think that you are looking for
950 gallons an hour. I recommend the Ehiem and Supreme magdrive lines.

MC