Warning about Microland Technology! Is this dodgy?

Old June 9th 04, 10:50 AM
CosmicBaby®

Default Warning about Microland Technology! Is this dodgy?

Ordered a new Sapphire x800 Pro from them last Tuesday (1 June). At the time
their web site said they had them in stock and were available for despatch
from stock. However, two days later it still hadn't shipped so I emailed
them to find out what was going on - no response. Then I noticed they'd
taken money from my credit card. Hmmm...

Monday comes and I still haven't heard from them so I email them again. No
response. Tuesday I resorted to phoning them. Over an hour I spent on hold
on the phone trying to get through to them. Three times after waiting for
over 20 minutes and getting to the front of the queue I got cut off. It was
no accident either - it was obvious the person on the end just picked up the
phone and put it straight back down again. Grrr... So now I'm so frustrated
with this company I want to cancel and take my custom elsewhere. For another
thing, I'm not left feeling comfortable that they are a reputable company to
be dealing with - only crooks behave this way surely? So I sent a strong
message through their web site and then emailed that message to
- again, no response.

Finally this morning I manage to get through to someone on the phone who
said they would cancel my order. However, when I asked when my credit card
would be refunded, they said THREE or FOUR WEEKS! FFS! Their reasoning: "We
gorra do it in date order"?!?!

So now I'm left in a difficult position. I'm not confident that they will
cancel my order for one thing - their web site says it's still a current
order. Secondly, I think it's scandalous that I have to wait so long to get
my money back. Should I go to my credit card company and get them to apply
some pressure?

Take heed - Microland Technology are not good to deal with! Take your custom
elsewhere.

--
Cosmic baby's very cosmic

Old June 9th 04, 12:12 PM
A clever name

"CosmicBaby®" wrote in
message s.com...
[...]

Three to four days would be out of order, three to four weeks is taking the
****. They shouldn't have taken money for goods they obviously knew they
hadn't got in stock, so my first action would be to inform your credit card
company of the situation, and let them take it from there. The thing I find
most concerning though is that if they're doing refunds in date order, how
come they've got 3-4 weeks worth to do?! Makes you wonder how many other
people are in the same position.

Old June 9th 04, 12:26 PM
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring m, from the
wonderful person CosmicBaby®
said
snip tale of woe

Should I go to my credit card company and get them to apply
some pressure?

Yes. In fact with a bit of persuasion your credit card company ought be
able to get their license pulled, such that they can no longer take
credit card orders.

If you feel even meaner, trading standards would probably like to hear
about it too.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
Old June 9th 04, 12:35 PM
Morgan

Makes you wonder how many other
people are in the same position.

http://www.romulus2.com/feedback/company.php?66

It would be useful if the OP added his comments to the list of other
purchasers who have used that company.

--
Regards

Morgan

Hard drive noisy......?

www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

Old June 9th 04, 02:46 PM
-=

"GSV Three Minds in a Can" wrote in message
Bitstring m, from the
wonderful person CosmicBaby®
said
snip tale of woe

Should I go to my credit card company and get them to apply
some pressure?

Yes. In fact with a bit of persuasion your credit card company ought be
able to get their license pulled, such that they can no longer take
credit card orders.

Well I reported it and it looks like I've got some form filling in to do!

If you feel even meaner, trading standards would probably like to hear
about it too.

That's what Barclaycard said too. Should be fun! )

Thanks for the advice.

--
Cosmic baby's very cosmic

Old June 9th 04, 02:49 PM
-=

"A clever name" wrote in message

"CosmicBaby®" wrote in
message s.com...
[...]

Thanks for the suggestion - I did report it and Barclaycard were equally
scathing about their customer service.

The thing I find most concerning though is that if they're doing refunds
in date order, how come they've got 3-4 weeks worth to do?! Makes you
wonder how many other people are in the same position.

That's what I'm left thinking. If that's the case, it's incredible!

--
Cosmic baby's very cosmic

Old June 9th 04, 02:51 PM
-=

"Morgan" wrote in message
Makes you wonder how many other
people are in the same position.

http://www.romulus2.com/feedback/company.php?66

It would be useful if the OP added his comments to the list of other
purchasers who have used that company.

Wish I'd seen this site before I'd ordered. I did some research before I
parted with my cash but didn't really find swathes of negative comments so
thought they were alright. They have been in business for 7 years after
all...

....will add my comments later - thanks

--
Cosmic baby's very cosmic

Old June 9th 04, 04:46 PM
Dave E

Hi All,
Have used Microland on two ocassions. One very good, one not so good.
About five weeks ago I ordered a lot of parts for a new computer I was
building (AMD64). All parts were delivered within 48 hours in perfect
condition and well packaged.I was very impressed and wrote to tell them so.
After the computer build I decided I needed a round ide cable and a round
floppy cable. Without any qualms I used Microland again. The site said both
were in stock, floppy 264 in stock, ide 206. Yes I keep good records and am
looking at the notes I made now. If ever I think I am going to complain I
want to be backed up by precise facts!!! Generally I will not place an order
unless companies have items in stock. It's too easy to blame your suppliers
supplier for slow delivery. After six days the items still hadn't arrived,
this despite the web site still proclaiming they still had multiple hundreds
in stock. I phoned and after 25 minutes of a machine advising me I was
number 7..6..5.. in the queue got through to a human being.
The employee told me that the Stock number as seen on the website didn't
actually mean stock numbers as held by the shop but stock numbers as held by
outlying facilities and suppliers. I still can't logically get my head round
this statement. She said a delivery was due in the next day. Hmmmm. When
asked if my credit card had been debited I was informed it had been on the
first day. My bill confirmed this. Two days later the cables arrived.
I am not writing this to knock Microland . As you can see the first time I
used them to order £700+ worth of parts they gave me superb service. Surely
however if "Items in Stock" doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination
"Items in Stock" it shouldn't be displayed as such as it implies ready for
immediate delivery.
I probably will use Microland again. It may have been a glitch.
BTW I ordered a Seagate 160gb SATA HD from Savastore at the same time I
ordered the items from MLand. Microland didn't sell this brand at this
capacity in SATA. It arrived 2 days after placing the order. I've never had
a bad experience with Savastore... Yet!
Oh well back to the real world.
Dave.

"CosmicBaby®" wrote in
message s.com...

Old June 9th 04, 05:06 PM
Ginchy

If you read the small print it tells you clearly that orders take 3 days to
be processed so you will NEVER get goods from microland despatched
immediate!

I think they are just a bunch of plonkers but their prices are excellent on
a lot of things so you have to decide when you order "ok I`m going to have
to wait but I will get the items cheaper"

If you can deal with them on that basis it seems to work out ok

They are very very clever at excuses though....they can just about cover
everything!

I dont know about other cc companies but with visa it takes 6 weeks to get
your money back and then the seller has another 6 weks in which they can
dispute the refund. The only thing visa will give an instant refund for is
unauthorised debits!

Most of the internet companies are crap...the only good ones I ever came
across were SVP for blank discs etc and the 7 day shop....I have used most
of the pc retialers and there is not a good one amongst them!

"CosmicBaby®" wrote in
message s.com...

Old June 9th 04, 05:26 PM
Roberts

Take heed - Microland Technology are not good to deal with! Take your
custom elsewhere.

I've used them several times in the past four years, with orders ranging
from ~£10-£1000. The only time I had a problem was when they sent me the
wrong CD writer (they sent me the correct make but wrong speed model). I
emailed them, they replied within 24 hours, I posted the drive back to them
and they sent me the correct one within a week, with a cheque to refund my
cost of postage.

I haven't used them recently. Perhaps I was lucky, or their standards have
since slipped.