remember those cheap AOC 19" TFTs that ebuyer were doing?

Old February 17th 04, 05:09 PM
Paul Hutchings

Default remember those cheap AOC 19" TFTs that ebuyer were doing?

Who actually brought one? What do you think of it?

I didn't and now I'm (again) getting sick of looking at a 15" TFT at home
and an 18" TFT at work because the one at home suddenly seems a lot smaller
than it did before I got my new work PC :-)

I see that savastore.com and pcnextday (never heard of them?) are doing
them for about £360 which doesn't seem at all bad for a 19" TFT.

Next question :-)

Currently have a Matrox G450 with twin analog outputs, one goes to the
current TFT, the other goes to s-video into the TV. The matrox software
has a rather nice feature where if you play a video on the PC it outputs
the video to the TV, but _just_ the video, not the whole screen/desktop
etc.. any suggestions on something cheap n decent for a non-gamer?

regards
Paul
paul at spamcop.net
Old February 17th 04, 05:21 PM
Cornelius J Rat

"Paul Hutchings" wrote
I see that savastore.com

Pinging www.savastore.com [62.253.220.14] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Hmmm. Anyone getting through ? or is it just Pipex taking exception ?

paul at spamcop.net

If the choice is between savastore or pcnextday, then I would go with pcnextday, I have
used then for a long time without any problems, savastore on the other hand often gets
rather bad comments !!

Old February 17th 04, 06:18 PM
Parish

Cornelius J Rat wrote:

"Paul Hutchings" wrote
I see that savastore.com

Pinging www.savastore.com [62.253.220.14] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Hmmm. Anyone getting through ? or is it just Pipex taking exception ?

WFM

ping www.savastore.com

Pinging www.savastore.com [62.253.220.14] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 62.253.220.14:

Old February 17th 04, 06:22 PM
tHatDudeUK

"Paul Hutchings" wrote in message
.4...
I see that savastore.com and pcnextday (never heard of them?) are doing
them for about £360 which doesn't seem at all bad for a 19" TFT.

My first concern would be resolution. I'd preferably like 1600X1200 out of a
19" tft if possible (guess this costs) although 1280X960 might be
acceptable. 1024X768 just wouldn't cut it for me. All personal preference
though... Remember a 19" TFT is about as big as most 21" CRT's.

Old February 17th 04, 06:28 PM
Paul Hutchings

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in
:

My first concern would be resolution. I'd preferably like 1600X1200
out of a 19" tft if possible (guess this costs) although 1280X960
might be acceptable. 1024X768 just wouldn't cut it for me. All
personal preference though... Remember a 19" TFT is about as big as
most 21" CRT's.

Well, YMMV but for me 1280x1024 on an 18" TFT is just about perfect and a
couple of the chaps at work have 19" TFTs that also run at that res and to
me they seem "just right".

I guess my main concern is image quality - they're almost suspiciously
cheaper than everyone elses 17/18" TFTs.. let along 19"

regards
Paul
paul at spamcop.net
Old February 17th 04, 07:33 PM
Doug Ramage

"Paul Hutchings" wrote in message
. 1.4...
"tHatDudeUK" wrote in
:

My first concern would be resolution. I'd preferably like 1600X1200
out of a 19" tft if possible (guess this costs) although 1280X960
might be acceptable. 1024X768 just wouldn't cut it for me. All
personal preference though... Remember a 19" TFT is about as big as
most 21" CRT's.

Well, YMMV but for me 1280x1024 on an 18" TFT is just about perfect and a
couple of the chaps at work have 19" TFTs that also run at that res and to
me they seem "just right".

I guess my main concern is image quality - they're almost suspiciously
cheaper than everyone elses 17/18" TFTs.. let along 19"

regards
Paul
--

I have one, and am happy with it for the price. There was a review of the
larger TFT monitors in a recent edition of PC Pro magazine. The AOC did OK,

Probably too slow for gamers.
--
Doug Ramage

paul at spamcop.net

Back in July 2003, I was going to pick up the AOC 19" from PCNextday.
Unfortunately, they didn't have it in stock so I settled for the AOC 17"
LM721 for a little under £300. I'm still using the monitor this very moment
and very happy with it. There's no dead pixels and no ghosting in games at
all. PCNextday were also true to their name.

If you google for the AOC brand, you'll find many happy owners out there.

Old February 17th 04, 09:39 PM
Trev

[...]

How about a G550 works the same way but has DVI socket

Old February 18th 04, 10:06 PM
Mike Ball

Paul,

I have just purchased an AOC LM-919 from Refresh Computers and I have to say
I'm pretty impressed with it - good value for money as far as I can see.
Picture looks excellent to me - not using DVI at the moment, going to try
that soon.

I'd go for one...

Mike Ball

paul at spamcop.net