Need advice from other vendors

Old August 16th 03, 04:57 PM
The Trooper

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:35:25 +0100, "Snowdon Computers"
wrote:
I have a peculiar situation and am unsure of the steps I should (or can)
take legally.

Brief history:
- Between 28/4/03 and 25/5/03 customer bids, wins and pays for around 3
pallets worth of Compaq servers and accessories from me on Ebay informing me
he will collect.
- He then proceeds to make 2 appointments to call but fails to turn up or
even let me know he is not coming. (one being on a Saturday which buggered a
weekend up for me) In fact he has never replied to one of my emails and uses
email just to 'tell me' what is happening. The telephone number he has given
me, and has listed with Ebay, is a voicemail only service and my
calls/messages are not returned.
- After the weekend non-appearance I emailed and have written to him by
recorded delivery informing him that if the equipment is not collected by
the end of August I will charge a storage fee of £2 per day from the date of
the letter.
- My last contact from him was on 30th July when he told me he would collect
on Sat 2nd August.

Not sure about the legality of this but can't you say you'll charge
him an outrageous storage fee, say £50/day and you won't release the
goods until this is paid. Ought to **** him up into collecting. Or you
could offer to have them delivered at his expense?
--
Remove NOSPAM to email me
Old August 16th 03, 08:59 PM
Dom Robinson

In article , trooper_
says...
wrote:
[...]

He's paid for the items fair and square, so storage fee wouldn't be able to
come into it AFAIK.
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/*
Old August 19th 03, 08:36 PM
Colin Wilson

TBH, I can't think of a single reason why someone would buy something and then
not want it.

Neither can I, but I suppose you have to take some other possibilities
into account - he might have been hospitalised or otherwise rendered
unable to contact the outside world - computer thrown it`s hand in or
something :-}

or you are likely to be spam filtered :-}
Old August 19th 03, 10:27 PM
Mike Redrobe

"Dom Robinson" wrote in message

TBH, I can't think of a single reason why someone would buy something and

then
not want it.

Its ebay:

land of the buyer who reads a description quickly, not realising delivery
not included
(or not possible/too pricey)

So he pays up, presuming he'll be in the area sometime to collect, ( 200+
miles
from home) but it never happens - he can`t get around to arranging 8 hour
round trip -
or circumstances change at the last minute etc...

The weeks drag on...

....just one scenario

The OP wants a "get out" procedure, (stock taking up room but can`t resell)
and so probably does the buyer (cant arrange a full day wasted travelleng)

Solution ? Give the buyer a solid deadline, if missed, refund money,
re-auction items.

Oh, and Niel? I might be interested in some servers

--
Mike Redrobe

Old August 19th 03, 10:31 PM
Dom Robinson

In article ,
says...
Solution ? Give the buyer a solid deadline, if missed, refund money,
re-auction items.

That's a good point. While I don't want to buy any servers I'm interested to
see how it turns out.

Oh, and Niel? I might be interested in some servers

I'd prefer some waitresses
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/*
http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor)
/* 940 DVDs, 259 games, 33 videos, 67 cinema films, 69 CDs, laserdiscs & news
/* star trek nemesis, bringing down the house, phone booth, human nature
"Your eyes, they take me... to eternity." - Natalie Imbruglia, Identify
Old August 19th 03, 10:37 PM
Snowdon Computers

"Conrad Edwards" wrote in message
m...
Dom Robinson wrote in message

. ..
In article ,
says...
He's paid for the items fair and square, so storage fee wouldn't be

able to
come into it AFAIK.

Dom, I think that`s why he asked for advice from other vendors :-}

????? He mentioned the storage fee thing first. No need to be such a

Joey
about it.

http://www.bestforbusiness.com/BusIn...ed%20Goods.htm

There is a Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977 that possibly
describes the procedure here....seems like you need to give him formal
notice and set a deadline. After that you can dispose of the goods by
selling them and send him the money/keep it on account for him...

Perhaps he's being detained at Her Majesties Pleasure?

That's the act I was wondering about originally.

He has been in contact again and is coming to collect tomorrow at 2.........
I hope he turns up this time.

--
Best Regards
Niel Humphreys