Do you HAVE to supply a license sticker??

Old July 28th 03, 04:35 PM
TX2

Default Do you HAVE to supply a license sticker??

If you supply a Windows XP machine with Windows XP installed, do you
HAVE to supply a license sticker with that installation, even if you do
not have to supply the original Windows XP disc?

I have just upgraded a system that has no license sticker on it, with
it, or anywhere to be seen.

In addition, Office XP and Pinnacle Studio 8 were installed on the
machine.

All this on a box that cost less than £400 .... ??

The owner shrugged his shoulders, and had little to say except "I walked
into a retail shop and bought a computer, I know nothing of the
requirements"

Is there cause for concern over this vendor, a local independent who has
recently started trading?

Old July 28th 03, 04:46 PM
Chris Woods

"TX2" wrote in message

Is there cause for concern over this vendor, a local independent who has
recently started trading?

Possibly, I have also seen computers sold as new, when clearly at least
three years old with Windows XP installed, and a copied CD with a product
key written in pen on the CD label in the past few months.

Old July 28th 03, 04:47 PM
Snowdon Computers

"TX2" wrote in message
If you supply a Windows XP machine with Windows XP installed, do you
HAVE to supply a license sticker with that installation, even if you do
not have to supply the original Windows XP disc?

I used to think so but I recently sold a load of PCs to a local university.
The PCs had blank hard drives and no licence stickers but aparently the Uni
did some investigating and found that they could install their Windows 98
image onto them legally as the PCs were originally supplied with a licenced
Windows 98 from Dell although there is no available proof with the machine,
somewhere there exists a record that the serial numbers have valid Win98
licences connected to them.

This was news to me and as I was just supplying the blank hardware I didn't
argue. Does anyone know any better?
--
Best Regards
Niel Humphreys

Old July 28th 03, 05:01 PM
Chris Woods

"Snowdon Computers" wrote in message
"TX2" wrote in message

I used to think so but I recently sold a load of PCs to a local

university.
The PCs had blank hard drives and no licence stickers but aparently the

Uni
did some investigating and found that they could install their Windows 98
image onto them legally as the PCs were originally supplied with a

licenced
Windows 98 from Dell although there is no available proof with the

machine,
somewhere there exists a record that the serial numbers have valid Win98
licences connected to them.

This was news to me and as I was just supplying the blank hardware I

didn't
argue. Does anyone know any better?
--

It depends if you subscribe to the view that an OEM licence lives and dies
with a machine. If you do and the Dell supplied licences were OEM then the

Old July 28th 03, 05:51 PM
Well-Tech Computer Centre

You're quite right there mate, I had a high street shop up until last year,
and the other 'shop' in the area was undercutting me by about the cost of a
licence, but try telling the public that. When they asked what the
difference was, most didn't want to pay 65 notes plus vat for a 'sticker' as
they saw it. To make matters worse, I used to get undercover trading
standards in regularly, asking to buy a machine, and say 'could you just put
windows on it mate and no charge me for it !!'. How they never caught my
'competitor' i don't know. If you think it's affecting your business, set TS
on them anyway !!
--
Ally Maxwell
Well-Tech Computer Centre

If the trader in question is trading illegally, it is everything to do
with me, as he is potentially affecting my profits by cutting prices on
his systems to an unknowing public who could have otherwise come to me
for the genuine article, albeit at a higher cost, but none the less, the
genuine article.

So, instead of turning a blind eye to illegal activity, I would prefer
to do something about it, both from a business sense, and a moral one.

Does that answer your question?

Old July 29th 03, 09:32 AM
Paul

In article , Snowdon Computers
writes

I would say almost certainly this other trader is being a naughty boy.
Microsoft would take a very dim view of it.

From my experience Microsoft aren't interested. I had a similar
situation a year or so ago, I was called in to an Estate Agents in North
Oxfordshire who had been hit with Nimda. They had a network of 6 PC's,
which had been supplied and installed by a company in Birmingham, for
which they'd shelled-out £12000. The cost was to include all operating
systems (Windows 98SE), Office 2000 Premium on each machine, and Norton
AV.

To cut a long story short, there were no licences supplied, no stickers
on the machines, and the only disks they were given were burned ones of
WE98 and Office 2000 Premium. To add a touch of flavour, on one of the
PCs I found a copy of Serials 2000. The PCs, btw, were crap AMD K6-2
500's running at 450 or so, and the motherboards were the cheapest
rubbishy integrated ones.

I spoke to Microsoft Anti-Piracy, who seemed to be in France, judging by
the accent of the girl who I spoke to. They weren't interested, didn't
want details of the company who supplied the PCs, and only confirmed
that my clients would have to shell-out on a complete set of licences
again.

Local TS got involved, but the original suppliers went into liquidation,
and that was it.
--
Paul B The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new
respectability to uninformed opinion. - John Lawton
Old July 29th 03, 09:42 AM
Cheeky

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:47:51 +0100, "Snowdon Computers"
wrote:

"TX2" wrote in message
.. .
If you supply a Windows XP machine with Windows XP installed, do you
HAVE to supply a license sticker with that installation, even if you do
not have to supply the original Windows XP disc?

I used to think so but I recently sold a load of PCs to a local university.
The PCs had blank hard drives and no licence stickers but aparently the Uni
did some investigating and found that they could install their Windows 98
image onto them legally as the PCs were originally supplied with a licenced
Windows 98 from Dell although there is no available proof with the machine,
somewhere there exists a record that the serial numbers have valid Win98
licences connected to them.

This was news to me and as I was just supplying the blank hardware I didn't
argue. Does anyone know any better?

Are you sure that's not because they've got a site license from MS? I
used to work at a uni and they had a site license for unlimited copies
(on-site) of various flavours of Windows and Office in addition to
cheap copies of software for members of staff (MapInfo for £15,
anyone?).....
--

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
Please reply to the group
Old July 29th 03, 10:34 AM
Snowdon Computers

"Cheeky" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:47:51 +0100, "Snowdon Computers"
wrote:

"TX2" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I don't think so as they were very particular about whether I could supply
the licences or not. The majority of the networked PCs run on Win2K so maybe
their site license is a Win2K one?
--
Best Regards
Niel Humphreys

Power Supply a2o General 5 March 4th 05 07:10 PM
OptiPlex GXa Power Supply Problem Howard Slomer Dell Computers 0 December 3rd 04 03:50 AM
help, please, with Compaq Presario power supply problem Jacques Clouseau General 6 June 9th 04 06:44 PM
Compaq 5225 power supply repalcement gargoyle Compaq Computers 1 January 4th 04 08:26 PM
will a cheap PSU (antec) kill P4S800 ? nerdb0t Asus Motherboards 7 October 23rd 03 11:37 PM