Which (small) silent case?

Old September 13th 04, 01:16 AM
[H]omer

Default Which (small) silent case?

I'm starting a new system from scratch, and I'm looking for a
silent/quiet, full-factor, ATX case.

I'd like it to be as small as possible, only needing to accommodate 2 ext
5.25 and 3 int 2.5 + floppy, but not HTPC or MicroATX.

Other than that, my only other requirements are that it has (or can
accommodate) ports at the front for:

.. USB2
.. Firewire 800
.. Audio DIN (headphone)

The mobo is a Gigibyte GA-8ANXP-D.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

-
[H]omer

Old September 13th 04, 01:40 AM
John McGaw

"[H]omer" wrote in message
I'm starting a new system from scratch, and I'm looking for a
silent/quiet, full-factor, ATX case.

I'd like it to be as small as possible, only needing to accommodate 2 ext
5.25 and 3 int 2.5 + floppy, but not HTPC or MicroATX.

Other than that, my only other requirements are that it has (or can
accommodate) ports at the front for:

. USB2
. Firewire 800
. Audio DIN (headphone)

The mobo is a Gigibyte GA-8ANXP-D.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

-
[H]omer

The Antec Sonata has a pretty good reputation in the quiet quality case
field. I haven't used one personally but am considering it for my next
build. The only thing I can find to dislike about it is that it is not
aluminum but the 1mm steel they used is probabaly better for silencing.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/003/c.../sonata-1.html

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Old September 13th 04, 08:38 AM
wooducoodu

the evercase 4252 is one of the best cases for making a cool and quiet
system.

http://www.evercase.com/newsite/2product/index4252.htm

www.silentpcreview.com

Old September 13th 04, 02:14 PM
Dave C.

"wooducoodu" wrote in message
m...
the evercase 4252 is one of the best cases for making a cool and quiet
system.

http://www.evercase.com/newsite/2product/index4252.htm

www.silentpcreview.com

I have that case. It is a generic cheapie and not exactly small. While I
don't think it's any noisier than any other case, I don't see how the case
itself is any quieter than any other case you could name. If it's quiet you
seek, make sure that each fan (cpu, power supply, case) is less than 30db.
That should do it as ambient noise is often louder than that. -Dave

Old September 14th 04, 02:32 PM
wooducoodu

you can only get so small and still be a full atx case and there's a
difference between cheap and inexpensive. the 4252 is an inexpensive case
but its a good solid build with excellent airflow and the hard drive cage
allows for mounting with vibration dampening grommets.

Old September 14th 04, 03:29 PM
Dave C.

"wooducoodu" wrote in message
news
you can only get so small and still be a full atx case and there's a
difference between cheap and inexpensive. the 4252 is an inexpensive case
but its a good solid build with excellent airflow and the hard drive cage
allows for mounting with vibration dampening grommets.

Yeah, I wondered about that. I mean, I read the OP asking for small, silent
and full ATX. Isn't that like asking what's the smallest truck that can
haul 3 tons and do it quietly? Smaller cases need more airflow, but
more airflow means more noise. And anything that will fit a full ATX board
is (relatively speaking) HUGE.

If I was going for small and quiet, I'd go with an Antec Aria with a
micro-ATX board with an 8X AGP slot and built in (sound and lan). If your
sound and lan is built in, it's not likely you'd need more than 3 PCI slots
anyway. But then if you need full atx size, you're back to big cases that
are easy to cool or slimline cases requiring gobs of airflow to prevent heat
build-up in the cramped quarters. -Dave

Old September 14th 04, 03:37 PM
Matt

Dave C. wrote:

Smaller cases need more airflow,

How did you come up with that?

Old September 15th 04, 02:51 AM
Mac Cool

Matt:

Smaller cases need more airflow,

How did you come up with that?

Interesting idea, on the surface it makes sense. The components output the
same heat in a small case as they do in a large case; a small room warms
up quicker than a large room, so it seems logical.
--
Mac Cool
Old September 15th 04, 03:07 AM
David Maynard

Mac Cool wrote:

Matt:

Smaller cases need more airflow,

How did you come up with that?

Interesting idea, on the surface it makes sense. The components output the
same heat in a small case as they do in a large case; a small room warms
up quicker than a large room, so it seems logical.

Except you're comparing how fast a stagnant room warms up vs airflow: a
classic apples and oranges situation.

Airflow carries heat away with the amount of airflow dictated by the amount
of heat that needs to be transported

Old September 16th 04, 03:04 AM
Ed_

In article , [H]omer" says...

I'm starting a new system from scratch, and I'm looking for a
silent/quiet, full-factor, ATX case.

I'd like it to be as small as possible, only needing to accommodate 2 ext
5.25 and 3 int 2.5 + floppy, but not HTPC or MicroATX.

Other than that, my only other requirements are that it has (or can
accommodate) ports at the front for:

. USB2
. Firewire 800
. Audio DIN (headphone)

The mobo is a Gigibyte GA-8ANXP-D.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

May I suggest that you look at Antec's SuperLanboy. It's smaller than the
Sonata, much lighter in weight, almost as silent and keeps this system at 39/28
idle and 45/30 load.

Antec SuperLanboy w/ Antec TRUE480BLUE PS
Asus A7N8X v2.0-DX, Nvidia nForce2 Ultra400
AMD Barton 2500 Retail
1024MB Corsair Value Select 3200DDR
PriMaster-WD800JB
PriSlave-WD1200JB
SATA Controller-Samsung SP1614C (Single-No Raid)
LiteOn Combo SOHO-5232K
Liton DVDRW SOHOW-832
Onboard Soundstorm Nvidia MCP2 APU
Nvidia GForce FX 5700LE
Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP-Expert PVR
EPI Envision EN-985E 19" CRT Monitor
Windows XP-Pro SP2
Canon D660OU Scanner
Logitech Z2200 2.1 Speakers

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...129-145&DEPA=1

I built this system last December for my daughter but, after using it for a few
weeks, I decided to give her one of my Sonata's instead. Great little case that
will surprise you in how much you can easily fit in it.

Ed

-
[H]omer