Branded memory from ebuyer

Old August 13th 05, 09:25 AM
Tony Sutton

"Linker3000" wrote in message

Service really has gone downhill of late.

Was told it's due to their 4 warehouses and getting the stock number mixed
up, etc.

Hopefully the relocation of all warehouses into one big warehouse will sort
it out.

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!

Old August 13th 05, 05:43 PM
James

If I buy Crucial branded memory from ebuyer, will it be as good as
Crucial branded memory from Crucial?

IMO it's well worth paying a few quid extra for the service you get from
Crucial. Ebuyer and Crucial are opposite ends of the spectrum in the way
they treat their customers.

Couldn't agree more!

I ordered 2Gb of ECC RAM for a server a few months back - ordered
non-registered instead of registered *Doh!*. No problem, just called
Crucial and informed them of my mistake, they just swapped it for the
correct RAM no questions aksed.

ETV

Out of interest what is the difference between registered and non registered
RAM?

Old August 14th 05, 10:41 AM
Eric The Viking

"James" wrote in message
If I buy Crucial branded memory from ebuyer, will it be as good as
Crucial branded memory from Crucial?

IMO it's well worth paying a few quid extra for the service you get from
Crucial. Ebuyer and Crucial are opposite ends of the spectrum in the way
they treat their customers.

Couldn't agree more!

I ordered 2Gb of ECC RAM for a server a few months back - ordered
non-registered instead of registered *Doh!*. No problem, just called
Crucial and informed them of my mistake, they just swapped it for the
correct RAM no questions aksed.

ETV

Out of interest what is the difference between registered and non
registered RAM?

Don't know exactly how it works, but registered RAM has additional chips on
the memory stick that contain registers. Unbuffered RAM doesn't have any
additional register chips.

Some mobos ( server boards ) specify registered RAM so as to be more
reliable. The board that I built on would only work with registered.

IMHO the word registered is confusing as it sounds like the RAM has been
through a registration process. It's be easier all round if it was called
"Buffered" ;-)

ETV

Old August 14th 05, 11:52 AM
Bob Eager

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:41:09 UTC, "Eric The Viking"
wrote:

Out of interest what is the difference between registered and non
registered RAM?

Don't know exactly how it works, but registered RAM has additional chips on
the memory stick that contain registers. Unbuffered RAM doesn't have any
additional register chips.

Some mobos ( server boards ) specify registered RAM so as to be more
reliable. The board that I built on would only work with registered.

IMHO the word registered is confusing as it sounds like the RAM has been
through a registration process. It's be easier all round if it was called
"Buffered" ;-)

Well, it would be...if itr weren't for the fact that there is another
kind of RAM called 'buffered'! Buffered RAM was used with early Pentium
II chipsets such as the 440BX, and was true 'buffering' for speed or
other reasons. Registered RAM is used more to allow the chipset to drive
more RAM than the signal strength would normally allow. And unbuffered
RAM has neither!

--
[Davism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
euthanasia recommended.
Old August 17th 05, 01:34 AM
Peter Grandi

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:43:18 +0100, "James"
said:

[ ... ]

see.reply Out of interest what is the difference between
see.reply registered and non registered RAM?

Registered RAM sticks is (electrically) buffered; the buffering
allows having more RAM sockets on the memory bus, which otherwise
are pretty limited. That's why many current motherboards without
registered support only have one or two RAM sockets.

Buffered/registered RAM sticks is not compatible with unbuffered
sockets and viceversa, but once upon a time most chipsets would
however have dual support, so on detecting the type of RAM sticks
they would switch the memory bus to the right type (which implied
that all sticks had to be of the same type).

Currently however, just like with ECC support, most chipsets (or
their implementation in most motherbaords) only support one or
the other, usually as in the two combinations unregistered/noECC
or registered/ECC. A great pity, especially for the lack of
support of ECC, which is both really simple/cheap and quite
important to have.
Old August 19th 05, 08:06 AM
Mike Tomlinson

In article , peter
writes

IMO it's well worth paying a few quid extra for the service you get from
Crucial. Ebuyer and Crucial are opposite ends of the spectrum in the way
they treat their customers.

Mmm, dunno about that. Ebuyer speedily collected a 10-month old Antec
450W PSU that went bang, and when they couldn't obtain a replacement,
cheerfully refunded my credit card on request.

Old August 19th 05, 08:11 AM
Mike Tomlinson

In article 42ff140d.0@entanet, Eric The Viking
writes

IMHO the word registered is confusing as it sounds like the RAM has been
through a registration process. It's be easier all round if it was called
"Buffered" ;-)

No. Registered memory and buffered memory are two different things

Registered memory is slightly slower than standard
unregistered/unbuffered, as an extra clock cycle is required to get the
data in and out of memory via the register.

Old August 19th 05, 11:03 PM
Linker3000

Tony Sutton wrote:
"Linker3000" wrote in message

Service really has gone downhill of late.

Was told it's due to their 4 warehouses and getting the stock number mixed
up, etc.

Hopefully the relocation of all warehouses into one big warehouse will sort
it out.

I hope so - I have just chased a printer I ordered Tuesday for a next
day delivery that's still not turned up.