Another reason for owning an air compressor.

Old December 30th 09, 04:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
GMAN[_13_]

Default Another reason for owning an air compressor.

In article , Cronos wrote:
GMAN wrote:

Looks like a lot of tar and nicotine from smokers.

Yes, and I do smoke too. A long time ago a case fan I neglected to keep
clean started to look pretty nasty from smoke and dust but some 99%
isopropyl(sp?) alcohol cleaned it right up and then gave it a squirt of
silicon lubricant inside the sleeve. Good as new.

Too bad you cant do that to your lungs.
Old December 31st 09, 06:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Cronos

GMAN wrote:

Too bad you cant do that to your lungs.

I doubt yours are in much better shape if you live in a large
metropolis. Ever wonder how many deaths are due to pollution? It's one
of those numbers that is hard to get data on but it is plenty. Pollution
is deemed a necessary evil to avoid economic collapse so they don't want
you to know.
Old December 31st 09, 06:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Cronos

Steve wrote:

Did you see the movie "The Abyss" where the hero has to breath
oxygen enriched liquid to survive diving at a very low ocean depth?

It had struck me that if the guy had been a heavy smoker all that
smoke residue and tar would start coming up from his lungs and
cloud up the liquid so much he couldn't see where he was going.

I bought that movie on DVD recently and haven't watched it yet. Says
Special Edition on the box but I have no idea what is "special" about
it. Maybe one day they will come up with a scrubbing device for our
lungs that is similar to that breathing device in the Abyss.
Old January 1st 10, 04:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
GMAN[_13_]

In article , Steve wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article , Cronos

wrote:
GMAN wrote:

Looks like a lot of tar and nicotine from smokers.

Yes, and I do smoke too. A long time ago a case fan I neglected to keep
clean started to look pretty nasty from smoke and dust but some 99%
isopropyl(sp?) alcohol cleaned it right up and then gave it a squirt of
silicon lubricant inside the sleeve. Good as new.

Too bad you cant do that to your lungs.

Did you see the movie "The Abyss" where the hero has to breath
oxygen enriched liquid to survive diving at a very low ocean depth?

It had struck me that if the guy had been a heavy smoker all that
smoke residue and tar would start coming up from his lungs and
cloud up the liquid so much he couldn't see where he was going.

Yes, I never could handle the short time where you had to take all of the
liquid into the lungs like they did in that movie.

Old January 7th 10, 10:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Geoff[_6_]

On 31/12/2009 06:26, Cronos wrote:
Steve wrote:

Did you see the movie "The Abyss" where the hero has to breath oxygen
enriched liquid to survive diving at a very low ocean depth?

It had struck me that if the guy had been a heavy smoker all that
smoke residue and tar would start coming up from his lungs and cloud
up the liquid so much he couldn't see where he was going.

I bought that movie on DVD recently and haven't watched it yet. Says
Special Edition on the box but I have no idea what is "special" about
it. Maybe one day they will come up with a scrubbing device for our
lungs that is similar to that breathing device in the Abyss.

I watched the special edition the other day

mostly i noticed the scenes where generaly a bit longer, hard to notice
though, very well done

mainly the ending is given in full
i won't give it away, but a 'warning' is given, which isn't explained
properly at all in the normal theatrical version they show on tv and such

well worth the watch i say

with with liquid breathing of a smoker, surely the stuff is so embedded
into the lungs it wouldn't just 'wash' off
or maybe some of it they recently smoked the hour before or something

interesting thoughts though

Old January 20th 10, 08:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
~misfit~[_14_]

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Michael W. Ryder wrote:
Cronos wrote:
GMAN wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/13/ventblockers/

Ugh, some people are just disgusting. How anyone can let their PC
get to the state of those pics is beyond me. One of my PCs has a
case that is almost ten years old and it looks better now than it
did new. Started out beige but has a cool gun metal oxide paint
finish now.

I guess that you are not surrounded by desert. I am constantly
cleaning computers from one of our offices. The office building is
surrounded by open desert with very fine dirt and the back doors open
directly onto that dirt. Heat sinks often fail after a couple of years of
this and
I have replaced a couple of heat sink fans where the bearings started
failing.

I can understand why heat sink fans would fail but heat sinks? Are they
being sand-blasted away?
--
Shaun.

Old January 20th 10, 09:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
~misfit~[_14_]

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Barry Watzman wrote:
THE LUNGS WILL CLEAN THEMSELVES IN A YEAR OR TWO BUT YOU DO HAVE TO
***STOP SMOKING***

Yeah, if only.....

I've stopped smoking for four years now after smoking for 25 or so. All the
info I've read say that there's irrepairable damage done to the lungs.
That's not to say that things don;t improve, they do. However cilla etc.
have been 'killed', it's not like you get new lungs after two years.
--
Shaun.

Old January 20th 10, 07:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Michael W. Ryder[_2_]

Cronos wrote:
GMAN wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/13/ventblockers/
Ugh, some people are just disgusting. How anyone can let their PC
get to the state of those pics is beyond me. One of my PCs has a
case that is almost ten years old and it looks better now than it
did new. Started out beige but has a cool gun metal oxide paint
finish now.

I guess that you are not surrounded by desert. I am constantly
cleaning computers from one of our offices. The office building is
surrounded by open desert with very fine dirt and the back doors open
directly onto that dirt. Heat sinks often fail after a couple of years of
this and
I have replaced a couple of heat sink fans where the bearings started
failing.

I can understand why heat sink fans would fail but heat sinks? Are they
being sand-blasted away?

The problem is more finding replacement fans for older heat sinks, some
of them use unusual sizes that the local Fry's does not carry. Plus I
have to wonder if one can really clean a heat sink without removing it
and using a liquid cleaner to remove all of the grit. Blowing them out
usually leaves a fine layer of grit on the fins and impacted in the
crevices.