Brother MFC-215C: "Near Empty" cartridge problem.

Old July 30th 09, 04:13 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ian[_4_]

Default Brother MFC-215C: "Near Empty" cartridge problem.

I have a Brother MFC-215C that I mostly use for mono printing and
photocopying. I rarely use color.

Recently, the black ran out, so I bought and fitted a complete set of
new cartridges. The printer recognizes the new black cartridge as being
full, but says that the new color cartridges are "Near Empty".

The manual says:
If you replaced an ink cartridge while "Near Empty" was displayed on the
LCD, the LCD may ask you to verify that it was a brand new one. Example:
"Did you Change Blck? 1. Yes 2. No." For each new cartridge you
installed, press "1" on the dial pad to automatically reset the ink dot
counter for that color.

Problem is, the printer never asks me to verify that the replacement
cartridge is a new one.

So the question is: how do I reset the ink dot counter?

--
Ian
Old July 30th 09, 07:02 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Stephen

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 16:13:50 +0100, Ian had a
flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

I have a Brother MFC-215C that I mostly use for mono printing and
photocopying. I rarely use color.

Recently, the black ran out, so I bought and fitted a complete set of
new cartridges. The printer recognizes the new black cartridge as being
full, but says that the new color cartridges are "Near Empty".

The manual says:
If you replaced an ink cartridge while "Near Empty" was displayed on the
LCD, the LCD may ask you to verify that it was a brand new one. Example:
"Did you Change Blck? 1. Yes 2. No." For each new cartridge you
installed, press "1" on the dial pad to automatically reset the ink dot
counter for that color.

Problem is, the printer never asks me to verify that the replacement
cartridge is a new one.

So the question is: how do I reset the ink dot counter?

Remove and reinstall the problem cartridges. On my MFC240, it always
asks if I changed the cartridge if I removed it for any reason.

--

Stephen

Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Old July 30th 09, 07:56 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ian[_4_]

From: Stephen
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 Time: 14:02:07

Remove and reinstall the problem cartridges. On my MFC240, it always
asks if I changed the cartridge if I removed it for any reason.

At first I did what you suggested, removing all the cartridges and then
replacing them all, but that didn't solve the problem. Then I replaced
them one at a time (yellow then cyan then magenta), letting the printer
go through a cleaning cycle for each one before inserting the next one,
and that cured it.

But it still didn't ask me at any point if I was changing a cartridge.

--
Ian
Old July 31st 09, 01:41 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Sounds like some poor engineering on the part of Brother. I would
contact them for comment.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

From: Stephen
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 Time: 14:02:07

Remove and reinstall the problem cartridges. On my MFC240, it always
asks if I changed the cartridge if I removed it for any reason.

At first I did what you suggested, removing all the cartridges and then
replacing them all, but that didn't solve the problem. Then I replaced
them one at a time (yellow then cyan then magenta), letting the printer
go through a cleaning cycle for each one before inserting the next one,
and that cured it.

But it still didn't ask me at any point if I was changing a cartridge.

I had same problem with the black cartridge, I had to download &
update the firmware.

Ian