Is the AMD Barton Discontiued?

Old December 31st 04, 05:50 PM

Default Is the AMD Barton Discontiued?

I am trying to purchase a 2800 Barton 333 AMD CPU. I know I can get it
from newegg, etc. But I found a local place that had it for the same
as newegg and called them. They said the items was not in stock and
was being discontinued (it was MicroCenter, if it matters or you know
the store.)

I had read in some reviews that Sempron was the "low end" or the
Celerons competition. I also read that Barton was going to be phased
out...it was an article July '04.

My question is: Should I not get the Barton? What should I get
instead of the Barton? From what I saw, the Sempron was not as good,
nor do I know if it will fit my motherboard.

Thank you for comments.

Old December 31st 04, 05:57 PM
FingAZ

if its anything like the athlonxp range then yes they have been discontiued
and replaced with the amd sempron- simialar processors to the athlons,
although a little lower grade and generally lower FSB's for less heat.

FingAZ.

oups.com...

Old December 31st 04, 07:32 PM

But slower, right?

Old December 31st 04, 07:34 PM
jacoby

Semprons have 256k L2 cache as opposed to 512k. Not a big deal though. If
you want the Barton, get it while you can.

oups.com...

Old December 31st 04, 08:12 PM
kony

On 31 Dec 2004 09:50:31 -0800,
wrote:

I am trying to purchase a 2800 Barton 333 AMD CPU. I know I can get it
from newegg, etc. But I found a local place that had it for the same
as newegg and called them. They said the items was not in stock and
was being discontinued (it was MicroCenter, if it matters or you know
the store.)

"Not in stock" could simply mean that THEY no longer stock
it. On the other hand, yes they're being discontinued. I
expect AMD will continue making a very limited number,
though at some point they may call 512K L2 cache chips a
sempron as well?

I had read in some reviews that Sempron was the "low end" or the
Celerons competition. I also read that Barton was going to be phased
out...it was an article July '04.

yep, Semprons are a little more trouble to o'c too due to
starting out with a higher FSB (and locked multiplier?)...
which would tend to mean one needs a motherboard able to go
past 200MHz FSB & good memory to get the most out of them.

My question is: Should I not get the Barton? What should I get
instead of the Barton? From what I saw, the Sempron was not as good,
nor do I know if it will fit my motherboard.

Thank you for comments.

Get a Barton, or determine what performance downgrade you'd
accept for a difference in price, since the lower-end
Semprons are a little bit cheaper. I've not tried
overclocking one but expect they're about where the Thortons
left off, good up to 2.2-2.5GHz or so, keeping in mind the
potential FSB & locked multipler issue I mentioned above.

On the other hand, I'm still partial to the mobile Bartons,
perhaps they'll keep making those a bit longer... there are
still a lot of socket A boards being sold in the market, it
would be a shame if everyone were forced to use Semprons.
Then again if their newer chips would just drop in price
more they could fill in the budget segment and retire the
Sempron socket-A version too.
Old December 31st 04, 08:36 PM
theyak

In article ,
says...
if its anything like the athlonxp range then yes they have been discontiued
and replaced with the amd sempron- simialar processors to the athlons,
although a little lower grade and generally lower FSB's for less heat.

FingAZ.

"if it's anything like?"

If you don't know for sure why are you answering?

oups.com...

Old December 31st 04, 09:43 PM
FingAZ

key phrase- "figure of speech".

FingAZ.

"theyak" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
if its anything like the athlonxp range then yes they have been

discontiued
and replaced with the amd sempron- simialar processors to the athlons,
although a little lower grade and generally lower FSB's for less heat.

FingAZ.

"if it's anything like?"

If you don't know for sure why are you answering?

oups.com...

Old January 1st 05, 04:45 PM

Is there any advantage to NOT getting the XP Barton? Besides, maybe,
price. I mean "technical" advantage.

Old January 1st 05, 09:15 PM

What advantage would that be if I don't have any 64 bit software and
the price point is so high?