Windows Installer service messed up (win 2000)

Old July 17th 03, 11:02 PM
res0r89p

Default Windows Installer service messed up (win 2000)

My Add/Remove Programs shows up empty or gives an mshta error after I
installed Nav 2003 from Norton Systemworks Pro. The Windows installer
service seems to be messed up. Now I can't Uninstall anyting and Systemworks
won't install because of an "error 1719". Any ideas? I "repaired" Windows,
tried the knowledgebase fix (run sfc /purgecache and sfc /scannow) but the
window is still blank. Safe Mode doesn't help either. Any ideas- short of
installing Windows again?
System: PIII 733, Win 2000 Pro, SP 4
Peter Cowie

Old July 17th 03, 11:27 PM
Edward J. Neth

Have you tried running symclean.exe (a Symantec cleanup tool you can
download from their support site)?

Old July 18th 03, 12:20 AM
res0r89p

I tried symclean.exe (it was on the Systemworks cd), but it just triggered
the Add/Remove Dialog box-which was empty). I tried it a second time and the
same thing happened, plus an error msg. "mshta has generated errors and will
be closed by Windows". A few days ago I installed Java 1.41 and it hung
after getting to 100%.Java 1.41 seems to be installed, though. I just
wondered if that might be a factor.
Peter Cowie
digy.com...

Old July 18th 03, 11:24 AM
Levance

FYI I have a PIII 667 running Windows 2000 SP4 and I had SP3 when I
installed NAV system works 2003 and the entire installation went great. The
only problem that I had occurred when I installed two different software
programs without rebooting. I had to uninstall the last 2 software
programs, reboot and reinstall each program separately rebooting in between.

I hope that you find this useful.

"res0r89p" wrote in message
No. I had SP3 installed when it happened. I did install SP4 in the hope it
would fix the problem, but it didn't.The only thing that has
worked-partially(I can now fix/install Office XP apps and Systemworks) was
after I renamed msisip.dll and then running instmsiw.exe.
Peter Cowie
"Albertv" wrote in message
Was there not an issue with SP4?

Albert

res0r89p wrote:

I tried symclean.exe (it was on the Systemworks cd), but it just triggered
the Add/..............shows up empty or gives an mshta error after I

Old July 18th 03, 04:48 PM
Albertv

Levance wrote:

FYI I have a PIII 667 running Windows 2000 SP4 and I had SP3 when I
installed NAV system works 2003 and the entire installation went great. The
only problem that I had occurred when I installed two different software
programs without rebooting. I had to uninstall the last 2 software
programs, reboot and reinstall each program separately rebooting in between.

System: PIII 733, Win 2000 Pro, SP 4
Peter Cowie

Strange, you had to reboot after installation of software in Win 2K pro.

Albertv

Old July 18th 03, 08:26 PM
res0r89p

The problem occurred immediately after I installed Nav 2003 and rebooted. I
wanted to remove Nav 2001 and found the Add/Remove Programs window blank. In
retrospect, I should have removed Nav 2001 first. I've partially solved the
problem with article 324906 (MS Knowledgebase). The window is still blank,
but at least I can get Office XP to Repair/Install programs now and I was
able to install Cleansweep to temporarily deal with add/remove issues.
Peter Cowie
"Levance" wrote in message
FYI I have a PIII 667 running Windows 2000 SP4 and I had SP3 when I
installed NAV system works 2003 and the entire installation went great.

The
only problem that I had occurred when I installed two different software
programs without rebooting. I had to uninstall the last 2 software
programs, reboot and reinstall each program separately rebooting in

between.

I hope that you find this useful.

Old July 18th 03, 08:29 PM
res0r89p

Some programs still request a reboot, though.
Peter Cowie
"Albertv" wrote in message

FYI I have a PIII 667 .......................................the last 2