P4P800 DeLuxe, WinXP and Hyper Threading

Old January 11th 04, 12:43 AM
Fabio De Robertis

Default P4P800 DeLuxe, WinXP and Hyper Threading

Hi,

I have a P4P800 DeLuxe and I run WinXP PRO (fully updated).
The CPU is a P4 2.60c with Hyper Threading.

The problem is I cannot get WinXP PRO to recognize two CPU's.
I suppose this's the only proof that Hyper Threading is working.
Well, CTRL+Shift+ESC Task Manager shows just 1 CPU.

The P4P800 DeLuxe has the latest BIOS installed (1014) and the
Hyper Threading is ENABLED. I re-installed WinXP PRO with no results :
only one CPU detected.

I run 10% Overclocking but it shouldn't affect the Hyper Threading,
right?

Any ideas? Is my P4P800 DeLuxe faulty? Could it be a problem related
to the CPU? Or a wrong BIOS setting?

Thank you in advance!

Fabio
Old January 11th 04, 04:39 PM
Fabio De Robertis

Go into control panel, hardware device manager click on the cpu.
It should show 2 if hyperthreading is working.

It isn't, this's the matter. No way to see 2 CPU's and everything is
ENABLED to do it. I just have to identify the problem among :
P4P800 DeLuxe, P4 2.6c, WinXP PRO ...

Any ideas?

Fabio
Old January 11th 04, 08:55 PM
Steve Colburn

"Fabio De Robertis" wrote in message om...
Hi,

I have a P4P800 DeLuxe and I run WinXP PRO (fully updated).
The CPU is a P4 2.60c with Hyper Threading.

The problem is I cannot get WinXP PRO to recognize two CPU's.
I suppose this's the only proof that Hyper Threading is working.
Well, CTRL+Shift+ESC Task Manager shows just 1 CPU.

The P4P800 DeLuxe has the latest BIOS installed (1014) and the
Hyper Threading is ENABLED. I re-installed WinXP PRO with no results :
only one CPU detected.

I run 10% Overclocking but it shouldn't affect the Hyper Threading,
right?

Any ideas? Is my P4P800 DeLuxe faulty? Could it be a problem related
to the CPU? Or a wrong BIOS setting?

Thank you in advance!

Fabio

If you do not o'clock, does it show up? The best way to debug is to NOT o'clock during the testing. If it still does not, the get
the cpuid program and see if you really have a HT chip.

Steve

Old January 27th 04, 02:00 AM
Jason

Just for kicks I would try clicking on "ADD HARDWARE" in control panel
then go to "ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS" -- "COMPUTER MANAGEMENT" -- "SYSTEM
TOOLS" -- "DEVICE MANAGER" -- "PROCESSORS" if there is not 2 of the
same, see if there are any "OTHER DEVICES" with an "!" over a yellow
question mark under "DEVICE MANAGER". Just another thing to try.
Good luck

Old January 27th 04, 06:21 PM
Hoonose

I got rid of HT because of program crashes and instability. My GameSpy
program crashed every other time I started it. With an Audigy2 sound
card everything was going bonkers till I went to one processor. Now
all's stable. Very few programs use HT, anyway. If you look around, in
fact, some things actually run slower! You probably need to reinstall
XP from the ground up to properly engage HT, if that's what you want.

Gene

Asus P4P800 Deluxe P4c +
2x512MB Winbond PC3200, Dual Mode @ 232, 1:1
full PAT enabled with BigToes mod /1012 Bios
ATI 9700 Pro @365/338
2 - WD400JB 8MB cache RAID0
Maxtor 40GB ATA-133
Enermax 430 Watts Power