P4P800 Deluxe - LAN problem

Old July 18th 03, 11:23 PM
Mike

Default P4P800 Deluxe - LAN problem

I am having a really odd problem with integrated 3COM gigabit LAN adapter in
the P4P800 deluxe that is connected to a 100mbps Full duplex ethernet LAN.
In both Redhat 8 (also tried Rehat 9), upon browsing I am unable to connect
to most websites and get connection refused however I can ping these sites
just fine.

Checking my router log I see plenty of TCP connection resets from the P4P800
workstation. I think there might be a bug in the 3com drivers as it relates
to handling MTU size. If I switch the 3com to default to another router on
the network that has a 1500 MTU it works fine. The router it normally
defaults to uses MTU 1492. Adjusting it however only makes a difference
through ICMP pings which always ping fine and I verified the mtu is correct
in ifconfig. It is as if when browsing it never uses the correct MTU but I
am only guessing here since that is the only difference I can find right
now.

I installed an Intel Ethernet board in the P4P800 and it eliminates the
problem entirely without even touching the MTU. Using Win2k on the P4P800
with the ASUS 3com drivers improves this problem but not entirely.

I wonder is the built in adapter defective, is the problem a buggy 3com
driver or is the adapter built into the board just a cheap piece of garbage.

Any ideas? thx

Mike

Old July 19th 03, 01:30 AM
ñíñjà¤têç

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:23:01 -0400, "Mike" t u v i x @ace dsl.com
wrote:
wOw KiKI...SluzveryStue for KiKi...
wOwrrrwOw...

[...]

or, it seems, they just do not work (search the threads...)...stay
tuned, I have one to build in the next few days...

ñíñjà¤têç

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Old July 19th 03, 01:52 AM
Mike

wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I see some of threads here and out on the internet basically the exact
same problem with being unable to connect to sites. From the looks of it
the board is likely good it is just that the drivers are not quite there yet
along with the 3c940 not one of the better NIC cards to have integrated into
the motherboard.

With all the hype and they way ASUS is marketing it you would think they
would have thoroughly tested and provided adequate Linux drivers.

Old July 22nd 03, 04:00 PM
Dan Spears

I have an Asus P4C800 Deluxe with the same on board 3Com Gigabit (3C940)
NIC. I also lose connection to the internet frequently. Yes there must be a
bug with the 3Com.

"scott" wrote in message
om...
I have recently been having a similar problem. I built a Win2K
machine about 2 weeks ago and had no problems until yesterday. Since
yesterday I have lost my network connection numerous times and the
only way I've found to recover was to reboot (at least 6-8 times).
After rebooting, it works for a while, then for no apparent reason the
NIC seems to lock up (no pattern other than frustration...). OS Event
log shows multiple duplicate errors and then one informational event:

E: Driver has encountered an internal error
I: The system detected that network adapter 3Com Gigabit LOM (3C940)
was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network
configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not
disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please
contact your vendor for updated drivers.

After reading a few of the posts here (during the short times that I
was able to get to the net), I decided to install a PCI NIC card.
Since doing so this morning I have had no problems (of course I am
bypassing the on-board NIC). Pretty sad that I have to do this with a
brand new motherboard/system.

I plan to contact ASUS soon to find out if they are doing anything to
address this problem.

Scott

Old July 23rd 03, 03:34 PM
Armin Pfeffer

I second that. I also have funny things happening including loosing my
internet connection through the router with the 3c940. Installing a
standard PCI-NIC of any brand,( I have D-LINK, INTEL Kingston) all
problems are solved.
This has not become better because the drivers are still 1.00.00.044
and is constant through bios 1..6, 1008. 1009.03, 1009.04, 1009.06
which I all tested because of graphics problems with a G550 too.
The graphics problem was solve from 1009.04 beta on, but memory
benchmarks decreased by 40% and new errors (loosing wake up from
suspend by keyboard). So the board is also not ready!
hth
Armin
Old July 29th 03, 03:29 PM
David Neill

wrote:
[...]

This driver came from SysKonnect, who makes the chipset for
the 3com 3c940 (aka 3c2000). This stuff works, nothing from
asus or 3com does a/o 07/29/2003. I didn't try the sk98lin
driver that came with 2.4.21, it may have been ok, although
the object files from this build and 2.4.21's are different.

driver location:

http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect...02_driver.html

follow the menus (Gigabit Ethernet - SK98XX - Linux -)

supported kernels (a/o 07/23/2003) a
2.2.25
2.4.21
2.6.0