Athlon 64 FX-5x

Old March 21st 04, 01:31 AM
Another Anonymous

Default Athlon 64 FX-5x

Wanting to buy AMD Athlon 64 FX-5x. Should I go for the 51 or is there another
one coming out soon? Price is not an issue as my work gave me $5,000 to spend on
a PC and I have to spend it all or its lost back into their budget so I wanna go
all out.
Thanx.

Old March 21st 04, 02:14 AM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

"Another Anonymous" wrote in message
om...
Wanting to buy AMD Athlon 64 FX-5x. Should I go for the 51 or is there

another
one coming out soon? Price is not an issue as my work gave me $5,000 to

spend on
a PC and I have to spend it all or its lost back into their budget so I

wanna go
all out.
Thanx.

newegg.com
FX53 It's around 850 $ or so. I think it might be something like 856$ a
Chip.
Denny. :-) Always with a smile, even if times are bad.

Old March 21st 04, 03:33 AM
Robert Jackson Marley

get a multi processor opteron pc...too bad i dont kno much about that stuff
but it sounds good....and be sure to get as much ram as that can hold

Old March 21st 04, 08:51 AM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

"Robert Jackson Marley" wrote in message
get a multi processor opteron pc...too bad i dont kno much about that

stuff
but it sounds good....and be sure to get as much ram as that can hold

"Another Anonymous" wrote in message
om...
Wanting to buy AMD Athlon 64 FX-5x. Should I go for the 51 or is there

another
one coming out soon? Price is not an issue as my work gave me $5,000 to

spend on
a PC and I have to spend it all or its lost back into their budget so I

wanna go
all out.
Thanx.

Hm, rob is right I think.. Then again, you could get one of 3dlabs best +
AMD Athlon 64FX53
And put one of Creative Labs best in there as well. Might as well be a Pro
Sound Card. One of the Audigy2 Cards.
Full on the ram, if it can take 2Gigs (PC3200 or PC4000) put it in as Four
sticks of memory, if you get a board with 4
I don't think new boards come with less anyway.
An ok size L.C.D.
More Then one 250GB HD Sata. Maxtor
Pro Lan 10/100/1000 (Don't know what I'd use it
for, I guess to add to my network, so I would need two.) And they do come
in 32Bit PCI Cards.
DVD -+ R RW + a CDR-W
8x 4x 52x24x52 or higher, I think they make higher
anyway.
Plus, cooled water cooling. By. Koolance.
I think if my company gave me 5,000$ for a new computer, I'd be putting some
of the mony in besides.
Hm? I'm only @ about 3097.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...002-209&depa=0
There, that would do it.
Though, a bit over.
If my company gave me 5,000 to spend on a system. I would spend most of it
buying something like this....
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...006-073&depa=0
Only leaves me with 1901, but I could put something together.
Me thinking it wouldn't be an Athlon, but maybe.
Playing Video Games on something like that, :-) Like words? Sweet.
Movie time would be nice too.
Still enough $$ for an All In Wonder 9800
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-309&depa=0
Denny. :-)

Old March 22nd 04, 06:06 AM
Scotter

I'd go for the dual durons (heh this coming from someone who just (3 mos
ago) built a very nice FX-51 system) and I would think since they are 64-bit
CPUs you can put more than just 2 or even 4 gig of RAM in there but not
sure. The important question: WHAT will you be DOING with this computer? 3D
rendering? Movie editing? Compiling? 3D gaming? Making music? Watching porn?

But hey since you are saying this is for work and you have $5000 to burn
that is why I would recommend the dual opterons over a FX-53 (or waiting for
the 939chipset FX cpus). To me it's probable you are not talking about
building a gaming system. And quite a bit of the 3D rendering and movie
editing software out there takes advantage of dual CPUs. Woohoo! Excited for
you. Whatever you build, it's going to be a mean machine I bet.

Scott
AMD 64 FX-51 (2.2ghz) ($733)
MSI K8T800 Master-Far2 board (DO NOT GET an SK8N-based board - get SK8V or
K8T800)
Antec True 480 power supply --- worked great
Lian PC-70 case -- AWESOME CASE and yes expensive but worth every penny
Nvidia GeForce FX5950 Ultra -- ATI 9800XT is faster but I bought what heard
was the quieter card
Corsair XMS PC3200 registered ECC (2) 512's RAM = 1 gig -- not the very
fastest but fast enough for me since I do not overclock much
Mirrored (2) 160 gig SATA Seagate Cheetah drives -- chose not to stripe -
chose to mirror for data safety
Windows XP Professional -- yay

Old March 23rd 04, 01:18 AM
Another Anonymous

Actually yes, I will be doing gaming and video movie stuff with it as my own
personal use and it will be located at my residence. My work will only consist
of spreadsheets and ms word stuffs. Thing is, if I stay at my job for 5 years
from the date of purchase (I plan too, but who knows how obsolete this pc will
be in 5 yrs), it becomes 100% mine to own. Goes back to them if I quit/get fired
tho.

Old March 23rd 04, 01:24 AM
Another Anonymous

Lol I like your ideas and things of purchase (42" plasma screen noted). I will
be using this pc (for my personal use) for gaming and some home movie editing.
My work will solely consist of spreadsheets and ms word stuff only. Thing is
everything bought on this PO has to be used for this computer only. My job will
want to see receipts for everything bought as well as maybe coming to my place
to see what I built. But if I hang that plasma screen on the wall in front of my
work desk where the pc will be what can they say? spending $2,800 on this
screen will leave me $2,200 to play with, can still build a monster machine with
it.

Old March 23rd 04, 03:57 AM
Amir Facade

Is the native resolution on that screen really 852 x 480?
Sounds pretty fuzzy to me, unless you're sitting pretty far back.
Still......

. com...

+

Old March 23rd 04, 09:33 AM
dennis e strausser jr

"Amir Facade" wrote in message
news
Is the native resolution on that screen really 852 x 480?
Sounds pretty fuzzy to me, unless you're sitting pretty far back.
Still......

I could have said something like this one,
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...006-071&depa=0
But come on now, he would not have much left to play with anymore.
You can get even better one's in res. But they would cost more then the $$
he has to work with.
Though, a 27" VGA would also be nice.
What ever.

Need to get rid of this SCSI Drive, it keeps cutting off on me, & it's my
boot Drive.
Ahhhhhh..... Darn it.
Denny.

Old March 23rd 04, 11:32 AM
Courseyauto

http://shop.monitorsdirect.com/product.asp?sku=1601435

Here's my choice,and you still have a lot of bucks left. DOUG