AN7 - Lock at Colour Screen - Hard to reset CMOS?

Old March 22nd 04, 01:15 AM
Wayne Youngman

Default AN7 - Lock at Colour Screen - Hard to reset CMOS?

Hi,

Got a problem with a AN7 build. System can run fine for weeks.

Issue #1

Sometimes when the system is powered on, it beeps then shows up the ABIT
coloured Logo screen, and then freezes? Code 5b

Issue #2

The CMOS will not reset normally. To get a successful reset I have to short
the CMOS clear jumper pins, remove power cable from back of PSU, remove
battery, remove ATX power connector from board, and remove the ATX +12v lead
from board. . . then leave this pile for a minimum of one hour?

I never saw an problem like this before. Why the heck doesn't the CMOS
reset like any other motherboard? These issues below can happen when the
system is running stock settings (No overclocking at all).

*SOUL-RIPPER*

AN7 rev1.0 (BIOS 14)

T-Bred XP2400+ (AIUHB) 2.2GHz - 1.85vCore

512MB (Single Stick) Crucial PC3200 (CT6464Z40B)

Sapphire Radeon 9600XT (FireBlade Edition)

Western Digital S.E 120GB SATA (7,200rpm - 8MB)

LITE-ON 52x32x52 Burner

LITE-ON 16x DVD

ANTEC SX835 II

ANTEC 350w Smart-Power (Dual Fan)

4 x 80mm Case fans

WinXP SP/1

DX 9.0b

nVidia Drivers (CD)

Cat 3.10 (CD)

The system can run Memtest86 and Prime95 for days! No errors. Not sure
where to start troubleshooting, and that CMOS clear thing is really bugging
me!
--
Wayne ][
Sign on door reads: Please Do No Disturb! Pentium 4 assembly in progress!

Old March 22nd 04, 02:19 PM
rstlne

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message
Hi,

Got a problem with a AN7 build. System can run fine for weeks.

Issue #1

Sometimes when the system is powered on, it beeps then shows up the ABIT
coloured Logo screen, and then freezes? Code 5b

Issue #2

The CMOS will not reset normally. To get a successful reset I have to

short
the CMOS clear jumper pins, remove power cable from back of PSU, remove
battery, remove ATX power connector from board, and remove the ATX +12v

lead
from board. . . then leave this pile for a minimum of one hour?

I never saw an problem like this before. Why the heck doesn't the CMOS
reset like any other motherboard? These issues below can happen when the
system is running stock settings (No overclocking at all).

the "Mechanics" of computers is such that your inflating this problem.

The reason you unplug your supply (or turn it off via the switch at the back
if you have one) is that you PSU supply's a constant 5v VSB Signal. So even
when your computer is off, your power supply is still working. That VSB
signal feeds many things including the cmos. Now you should be able to
remove the battery, turn off the psu and wait probably 15/20 seconds and
then use the jumper. Now that doesnt mean that you dont have a problem. If
the +5 VSB is staying there for more than 20 seconds .. like say it's there
for 2 or 3 mins.. Then your PSU is bad (The drainage resistors inside it
have open'd).

Old March 23rd 04, 07:00 AM
- HAL9000

The stall (blade not turning) current for DC fans is very high. With
four huge fans, this maybe more than the power supply can handle on
power on. You might try to unplug 3 of them temporarily and see if
that helps with issue # 1.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 00:15:46 -0000, "Wayne Youngman"
wrote:

Hi,

Got a problem with a AN7 build. System can run fine for weeks.

Issue #1

Sometimes when the system is powered on, it beeps then shows up the ABIT
coloured Logo screen, and then freezes? Code 5b

snip

Old March 23rd 04, 12:25 PM
Wayne Youngman

"- HAL9000" wrote
The stall (blade not turning) current for DC fans is very high. With
four huge fans, this maybe more than the power supply can handle on
power on. You might try to unplug 3 of them temporarily and see if
that helps with issue # 1.

Hi,
do you think that would cause the symptom of freeze at Logo screen?. I
would have thought if it was a PSU problem that it wouldn't boot at all?

Still its a suggestion. Tis nearly a *Bullet-Proof* machine, lucky my Bro is
semi-tech as he can do the Brute-Force CMOS clear, some of my clients
wouldn't be able to do this so I am edgy about using any more AN7's until I
resolve this issue. . . . .

Old March 24th 04, 05:04 AM
- HAL9000

If you "fold back" (overload) the power supply on turn on then all
bets on a good, and orderly, start up sequence maybe off. If the
power good signal from the power supply isn't acting as it should,
because of the foldback, then any weird powerup freeze scenario is
possible.

It's too easy of a test not to try...

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site: