overclocking Barton 2500

Old December 15th 03, 12:40 PM
Kai-Uwe Weiß

Default overclocking Barton 2500

Hi,

I'm a newbie and I read about "little wonders" by overclocking the CPU's.
Now I want to try the same. I've got a Barton 2500, bought in March 03 and a
mainboard, where I can change multiplier, FSB and core voltage. I set it now
at 1,8 V core and 18*166 Multiplikator. But there are no changes under Win
XP. It shows me AMD Athlon XP 2500+ and 1,83 Ghz. Have I to do more things
like connects some pin on the die or open bridges? Please help me.

Thanks Kai

Old December 15th 03, 04:23 PM
Wayne Youngman

"Kai-Uwe Weiß" wrote
I'm a newbie and I read about "little wonders" by overclocking the CPU's.
Now I want to try the same. I've got a Barton 2500, bought in March 03 and

mainboard, where I can change multiplier, FSB and core voltage. I set it

now
at 1,8 V core and 18*166 Multiplikator. But there are no changes under Win
XP. It shows me AMD Athlon XP 2500+ and 1,83 Ghz. Have I to do more things
like connects some pin on the die or open bridges? Please help me.

Hi,

I think you made a typo?. 18x 166=2988MHz (2.9GHz) which is insane.

I have the same CPU as you (XP2500+) and it runs very well @ 2.2GHz
(XP3200+). The default voltage on that CPU is 1.65v (vCore). Most of the
time when you in overclocking a CPU you need to *Increase* the vCore to make
the chip *Totally* stable. On mine I must set it at 1.775vCore in order for
Prime95 to run stable for 48Hours.

So back to the beginning, your chips default settings a 11 x 166MHz FSB.
A good overclock to try for first is 11 x 200MHz FSB. To do this you will
need PC3200 (DDR400) in place and you will also (probably) need to raise the
vCore up a few notches (1.675 - 1.7 - 1.725 - 1.75v etc). The disadvantage
of increasing your vCore is that it will make your CPU *Hotter* so it would
be good if you paid attention to your cooling. 50°c-60°c for the CPU is
about as high as you should be going, allot of people here have 30°c-40°c.

If you are using an Nforce2 chipset (motherboard) you will not have to
*unlock* any pins to enable multiplier changes, most other motherboards you
will need some tricks.

You will need to supply better information about your separate components
for others to guide you further. . . .
--
Wayne ][

Barton (AQXEA) XP2500+ @ 2.2GHz (10x220) - 1.775vCore
CoolerMaster Aero 7 Lite - 3,200rpm
ABIT NF7-S (v2.0 - BIOS#14)
512MB Dual TwiSTER PC3500 @ DDR440 1:1 (9,3,3,2.0 - 2.7v)
Sapphire Atlantis 9800 - 3.3ns Samsung (325/290 Default)
240GB (2x120GB) WD-SE SATA RAID-0 (16k Stripe)
Antec SX630II Mini-Tower Case Inc 300w PSU
2 x CoolerMaster 80mm Blue Neon Fans
WinXP-PRO-SP1
Cat 3.7 - DX9.0b

Old December 15th 03, 08:24 PM
rms

The best setting for an overclocked barton is 11x200, assuming your mobo&ram
can handle it. Try that.

rms

Old December 15th 03, 08:25 PM
EzAk

with an overclocked barton at 11X200 what should my voltage be set at

Old December 15th 03, 10:39 PM
~misfit~

Wayne Youngman wrote:
I have the same CPU as you (XP2500+) and it runs very well @ 2.2GHz
(XP3200+). The default voltage on that CPU is 1.65v (vCore). Most
of the time when you in overclocking a CPU you need to *Increase* the
vCore to make the chip *Totally* stable. On mine I must set it at
1.775vCore in order for Prime95 to run stable for 48Hours.

That's unfortunate. My Barton 2500 only needs 1.675vcore to do 11 x 200.
Prime95 stable. I guess I was lucky.
--
~misfit~

Old December 16th 03, 01:09 AM
Frank Hagan

"~misfit~" wrote in message
Wayne Youngman wrote:
I have the same CPU as you (XP2500+) and it runs very well @ 2.2GHz
(XP3200+). The default voltage on that CPU is 1.65v (vCore). Most
of the time when you in overclocking a CPU you need to *Increase* the
vCore to make the chip *Totally* stable. On mine I must set it at
1.775vCore in order for Prime95 to run stable for 48Hours.

That's unfortunate. My Barton 2500 only needs 1.675vcore to do 11 x 200.
Prime95 stable. I guess I was lucky.
--
~misfit~

I've got mine Prime95 stable @ 210x10.5 at "default" voltage. To get 200x11
I had to go up to 1.7 volts and it ran a couple of degrees warmer.

FRH

Old December 16th 03, 11:19 PM
bergis

Frank Hagan wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote in message

I've got mine Prime95 stable @ 210x10.5 at "default" voltage. To get 200x11
I had to go up to 1.7 volts and it ran a couple of degrees warmer.

FRH

mine's stable at 200x11 @ default voltage...

KB

Old December 17th 03, 04:04 PM
mrdancer

"~misfit~" wrote in message
Wayne Youngman wrote:
I have the same CPU as you (XP2500+) and it runs very well @ 2.2GHz
(XP3200+). The default voltage on that CPU is 1.65v (vCore). Most
of the time when you in overclocking a CPU you need to *Increase* the
vCore to make the chip *Totally* stable. On mine I must set it at
1.775vCore in order for Prime95 to run stable for 48Hours.

That's unfortunate. My Barton 2500 only needs 1.675vcore to do 11 x 200.
Prime95 stable. I guess I was lucky.

Same here. Using Asus A7N8X-Dlx w/ 2x512 OCZ 3200 DDR.

Old December 18th 03, 12:28 AM
~misfit~

mrdancer wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote in message
Wayne Youngman wrote:
I have the same CPU as you (XP2500+) and it runs very well @ 2.2GHz
(XP3200+). The default voltage on that CPU is 1.65v (vCore). Most
of the time when you in overclocking a CPU you need to *Increase*
the vCore to make the chip *Totally* stable. On mine I must set it
at
1.775vCore in order for Prime95 to run stable for 48Hours.

That's unfortunate. My Barton 2500 only needs 1.675vcore to do 11 x
200. Prime95 stable. I guess I was lucky.

Same here. Using Asus A7N8X-Dlx w/ 2x512 OCZ 3200 DDR.

I'm using a Soltek SL-75FRN2-L (Great board BTW) and a single TwinMOS 512
3200 module (at this stage). I'm sure I could get more out of the CPU but
don't see much point at this stage, I'm using the original HSF and temps are
reasonable, I'm happy the way it is.
--
~misfit~

Old December 18th 03, 08:43 PM
mrdancer

"~misfit~" wrote in message
mrdancer wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote in message
Wayne Youngman wrote:
I have the same CPU as you (XP2500+) and it runs very well @ 2.2GHz
(XP3200+). The default voltage on that CPU is 1.65v (vCore). Most
of the time when you in overclocking a CPU you need to *Increase*
the vCore to make the chip *Totally* stable. On mine I must set it
at
1.775vCore in order for Prime95 to run stable for 48Hours.

That's unfortunate. My Barton 2500 only needs 1.675vcore to do 11 x
200. Prime95 stable. I guess I was lucky.

Same here. Using Asus A7N8X-Dlx w/ 2x512 OCZ 3200 DDR.

I'm using a Soltek SL-75FRN2-L (Great board BTW) and a single TwinMOS 512
3200 module (at this stage). I'm sure I could get more out of the CPU but
don't see much point at this stage, I'm using the original HSF and temps

are
reasonable, I'm happy the way it is.

I also got a Barton 2500+ to run at 3200+ (11x200) with a cheap BioStar
M7NCG400 mobo w/ 2x256 Buffalo Technology PC3200 sticks, no voltage tweaks.
Didn't stress-test it, but it ran WinXP just fine. The 2500+ settings are
all that is needed on that machine.... nice to know it's overclockable,
though.