overclocking barton 2500

Old October 2nd 03, 05:09 AM
S White

Default overclocking barton 2500

hi,
anyone knows if it's possible to overclock barton 2500 without any
special extra cooling system? that is, can i get the speed up just by
settings in the bios or whatever? because i really dont want to buy
extra fans or physically change things inside the computer.

Thanks

S W
Old October 2nd 03, 05:19 AM
Doug

Yes, it depends on the m/b as well. I have an Abit NF7-S with the Barton
2500+. Currently with just the standard HSF and four case fans l have it
overclocked to 2.2Ghz with reasonable temps. You can try it without getting
extra fans but just be aware the it will generate heat the higher you push
it. .

Doug

om...

Old October 2nd 03, 05:25 AM
Minotaur

S White wrote:
hi,
anyone knows if it's possible to overclock barton 2500 without any
special extra cooling system? that is, can i get the speed up just by
settings in the bios or whatever? because i really dont want to buy
extra fans or physically change things inside the computer.

Thanks

S W

Well you should be capable of getting 200FSB X 11Multi, with stock
voltage or with a slight bump to 1.75VCore.

That's assuming your DDR can handle 200FSB, anyway give it a try
if it doesn't handle it post back with a reply of all the major
components in your system.

Cheers

Old October 2nd 03, 01:57 PM
Peter van der Goes

"S White" wrote in message
om...
hi,
anyone knows if it's possible to overclock barton 2500 without any
special extra cooling system? that is, can i get the speed up just by
settings in the bios or whatever? because i really dont want to buy
extra fans or physically change things inside the computer.

Thanks

S W

Depends on what you mean by extra cooling.
I have three 2500+ here. Two at 200x11 on Asus NForce2 boards and one at
166x12.5 on an Epox KT333 board. I use Vantec Aeroflow HSF's with standard
(for me) case cooling (2 80mm exhaust + 1 80mm intake. All three max out in
the low to mid 40's C.
I'd say: if your non-overclocked temperatures are reasonable, expect a
slight increase, but you should be OK. Do it a step at a time.

Old October 2nd 03, 07:23 PM
Geoff

S White wrote:
hi,
anyone knows if it's possible to overclock barton 2500 without any
special extra cooling system? that is, can i get the speed up just by
settings in the bios or whatever? because i really dont want to buy
extra fans or physically change things inside the computer.

Thanks

S W

i run my xp2500 at 200x11 for 2.2ghz, extra cpu voltage 1.725v for cpu
(default is 1.65v)
it does make more heat, my cpu is about 47c normaly(full load)

Old October 4th 03, 04:31 AM
S White

Does a 350 W case work a lot better than say 300? And would 400 be
even better for overclocking? And any recommendations on the best cpu
fans? Thanks.

Old October 4th 03, 11:56 AM
Wayne Youngman

"S White" wrote
Does a 350 W case work a lot better than say 300? And would 400 be
even better for overclocking? And any recommendations on the best cpu
fans? Thanks.

Hi,

in most examples a 350w PSU will be more useful than say a 300w one.
However the rabbit hole gets deeper. . . .a good branded PSU (Antec,
Enermax) will often be better than a generic one that has a even greater
wattage.

I use an Antec Smart-Power 300w in my new system, and so far it is doing a
good job, I also have lots of Devices-Hard disks-CD-ROM/Burners, and fans
etc in my set-up. I think it would be a good idea to buy something with a
bit of headroom also, to allow for future upgrades.

I found this article very helpful when I was trying to understand this PSU
business.

FiringSquad - Choosing The Right Power Supply
http://firingsquad.gamers.com/guides/power_supply/

--
Wayne ][

Barton (AQXEA) XP2500+ @ 2.2GHz (10x220) - 1.75vCore
CoolerMaster Aero 7 Lite - 3,200rpm
ABIT NF7-S (v2.0 - BIOS#14)
512MB Dual TwiSTER PC3500 @ DDR440 1:1 (8,3,3,2.0 - 2.8v)
Sapphire Atlantis 9800 - 3.3ns Samsung
240GB (2x120GB) WD-SE SATA RAID-0 (16k Stripe)
Antec SX630II Mini-Tower Case Inc 300w PSU
WinXP-PRO-SP1
Cat 3.7 - DX9.0b