i hate to ask a temp question, but...!

Old July 2nd 03, 04:07 AM
muppet pasta

Default i hate to ask a temp question, but...!

Ok, i have an XP1600 with a volcano 7cu heatsink. I live in a VERY hot
climate, so you blue people don't get alarmed cos my case temp is over
15 degrees C.

My case temp is around 35-40 degrees C, which is normal here. However,
my cpu is running at 50-55 degrees C at idle with vcool!! I have just
changed to a case with 5 case fans (2 in 3 out) which has cooled the
case by 5 degrees. I also took off the HSF, cleaned it properly &
reapplied Arctic Silver thermal paste but it is still hot. I definitely
didn't use too much thermal paste, but is it possible i didn't use
enough this time (& last time too)? I thought the cpu should run about
10 degrees above the case temp, so why is it at 15 & sometime 20 degrees
above in idle?

Any other thoughts appreciated.

Old July 2nd 03, 10:33 AM
QED, eh ?

The following may help

Remove PSU cover
Remove case PCI slat and drive-blanking plates
Add second CPU fan (stack)
Cut hole and fit a vented louvre in side-panel (HUGE difference - do this,
if nothing else)
Underclock to undervolt

The first four will net you 5-15C

Old July 2nd 03, 11:52 AM
Ben Pope

muppet pasta wrote:
Ok, i have an XP1600 with a volcano 7cu heatsink. I live in a VERY hot
climate, so you blue people don't get alarmed cos my case temp is over
15 degrees C.

My case temp is around 35-40 degrees C, which is normal here. However,
my cpu is running at 50-55 degrees C at idle with vcool!! I have just
changed to a case with 5 case fans (2 in 3 out) which has cooled the
case by 5 degrees. I also took off the HSF, cleaned it properly &
reapplied Arctic Silver thermal paste but it is still hot. I
definitely didn't use too much thermal paste, but is it possible i
didn't use enough this time (& last time too)? I thought the cpu
should run about 10 degrees above the case temp, so why is it at 15 &
sometime 20 degrees above in idle?

Any other thoughts appreciated.

Given the ambient temperature, thats about right. And certainly well within
the limits.

To reduce the temperature differential between your ambient (case)
temperature and cpu, you can get a better cooler.

To reduce the case temperature you should increase airflow in your case,
although you seem to have a pretty large number of fans. What is your room
temperature? It can't be as high as 40°C - you'd die.

To reduce the temperature of the CPU, make it do less - you could underclock
and/or undervolt it - this is the last option for most users as performance
may take a hit.

Ben

Old July 2nd 03, 11:27 PM
-Lone_Wolf-

muppet pasta wrote:
Ok, i have an XP1600 with a volcano 7cu heatsink. I live in a VERY hot
climate, so you blue people don't get alarmed cos my case temp is over
15 degrees C.

My case temp is around 35-40 degrees C, which is normal here. However,
my cpu is running at 50-55 degrees C at idle with vcool!! I have just
changed to a case with 5 case fans (2 in 3 out) which has cooled the
case by 5 degrees. I also took off the HSF, cleaned it properly &
reapplied Arctic Silver thermal paste but it is still hot. I
definitely didn't use too much thermal paste, but is it possible i
didn't use enough this time (& last time too)? I thought the cpu
should run about 10 degrees above the case temp, so why is it at 15 &
sometime 20 degrees above in idle?

My place gets very warm as well. My CPU has been running around 65°C using a
Thermaltake Volcano 11 cranked up over 5200 RPM. I also have 5 case fans as
you mentioned. Just a few minutes ago I pulled off the heatsink and using
very fine sand paper made the contact surface much smoother. I then rubbed
the thermal paste into the metal surface as I had read here in this group
and applied the thin layer to the CPU before reinstalling (bought better
thermal paste as I misplaced the stuff that came from Thermaltake). My temps
are now;

CPU is a 2100 not OCed at the moment!

39° Case
47° CPU (Fan @5200 RPM)
50° CPU (@ a peacefull 3000 RPM)
58° CPU (under heavy load)

That's an 18°C drop ;-)

Old July 3rd 03, 01:35 PM
muppet pasta

Ben Pope wrote:

What is your room
temperature? It can't be as high as 40°C - you'd die.

To reduce the temperature of the CPU, make it do less - you could underclock
and/or undervolt it - this is the last option for most users as performance
may take a hit.

Ben

room temp averages around 30 degrees C all year... i have noticed that the vcore
is consistently around 1.78, though it is set at 1.75 in the bios... do you
think this may be the problem? if i slightly drop the voltage in the bios, will
it still be ok to run at 10.5x133?

Old July 4th 03, 07:07 AM
Dakota650r

30 degrees C!? Holy cow. Where the heck do you live... Death Valley?

You should invest in an air conditioner before you spend anymore money
upgrading your computer!

I'm in Texas now with outside temps close to 100F (and don't ask what the
heat index is!) , but I keep my room at a constant 21C (@70F). Case temps
are a couple degrees warmer and cpu temps - idle: 45C ; load: 50C
currently have a Tbred A 2200 XP running around 1957Mhz (13.5 x 145) on
stock heatsink/fan (512MB PC2100 and MSI KT4VL).

Old July 4th 03, 01:40 PM
muppet pasta

if i could afford an air conditioner & more to the point the electricity bills i
would have a mac & wouldn't have this heat problem... i love amd but most of the
local computer shops have stopped selling amd systems because they fry in the
evryday heat here as the average joe have no idea of cooling

--
Remember, Bush wasn't trying to convince us that Saddam existed, he was
trying to convince us that the WMD existed.

Old July 4th 03, 01:58 PM
QED, eh ?

If your temps drop significantly with your side-panel off, cut a hole in it
and fit a louvred, plastic vent.
I did this with a 9-inch square vent over the CPU - and got a 7C temp drop.
Also removed my PSU cover, for a 3C drop.
Stacked a second (identical) 80mm CPU fan, for a 3C drop.
Removing case fan-grilles, fan guards, PCI blanking slats and drive blanking
plates is worth another 3C.
All together, a 10-15C drop - it might just do it for you.

Old July 4th 03, 02:17 PM
muppet pasta

the best cooling solution i have found thus far is taking off the left side
panel & having a small desk fan blow straight onto the hsf... this reders a drop
of up to ten degrees whilst not under heavy load but also blows dirt & dust
everywhere

Old July 4th 03, 02:49 PM
QED, eh ?

"muppet pasta" wrote in message
the best cooling solution i have found thus far is taking off the left

side
panel & having a small desk fan blow straight onto the hsf... this reders

a drop
of up to ten degrees whilst not under heavy load but also blows dirt &

dust
everywhere

Not quite sure I understand.
Is this good or bad for you ?