Need Help Understanding OC results for 'old' Celery not liking Win2K

Old July 7th 04, 04:07 PM
pgtr

On 7 Jul 2004 04:33:41 -0700, (N. Thornton) wrote:

I'm no overclocking genius but if it all works dandy at one speed and
frequently hangs at 30% faster speed... hello?

It hangs specifically at startup under one specific OS in a consistent
fashion. THis largely eliminates the typical OC issues of not posting
and temperature stability problems and leaves some sort of
configuration issue.

PS: Also the case reset button no longer functions w/ it set at
100FSB(850mhz) - usually I have to power cycle now too...?

again, says it all. Seems like you been focussing too much on whats
not relevant. Something needs slowing down. I've no idea what your
speed options are on this combo but hope you can do something better
than 566, if not 850.

I've got the thing as conservatively set up as possible.

Is a 566 running at 850 conservative?

To be more specific I was referring to all BIOS settings - they are as
conservative as possible.

However a 566 at 850 is below average. The CPU database suggests 874
as average. Anything above that up to say 1ghz is aggressive. The 566
is generally regarded as one of the more OCable chips of that ilk much
like the 300A back in it's day.

The only real
variable here that I'm aware of is the FSB - can you suggest what I
appear to be missing?

the obvious?

ok

The chip is locked at 8.5 multiplier. It runs fine at 66FSB (it's
stock speed). It will run fine at 75FSB (a mild OC of 637mhz). It will
run fine at 100FSB one time immediately after a BIOS flash. It will
also run fine at 850mhz(100FSB) repeatedly if using a boot disk into
DOS or Win98 command prompt. (I'm going to check a full 98 setup
later). So far the indications are that the COMBINATION of W2K and 850
on this chip are mutually exclusive. Also all the H/W has worked fine
in the past w/ Win2K at 100FSB (using a 366 OC'd to 550).

Can you offer some suggestions on what is relevant to try?

DOS / 98 command prompt is small and simple compared to win98, and
thus far more likely to boot than full Win when you have data errors
going on. This is to be expected.

Can you expand on "data errors" that might prevent W2K from booting
and hang?

I dont know I could always be wrong, but it seems quite obvious that
youre trying to run it at a speed it cant do. What to do? Run it at a
speed it will do! What else?

That's not exactly correct - I can reflash the BIOS each time at boot
up and it can CONSISTENTLY run at 850 indefinately and be very stable.

I am looking for:

A) an explanation as to what is special about running W2K immediately
after a flash that allows this

B) a solution to booting it at 850mhz into W2K w/o having to reflash
it each time

Youve tried the tricks, tweaking the voltage... thats it. Your max
speed depends not just on CPU or mobo, but on the pair of them
together. If the CPU will run faster in another mobo, you might
contemplate using the other mobo.

Could there not be some driver or configuration issues w/ W2K?

Old July 7th 04, 11:21 PM
David Maynard

N. Thornton wrote:

pgtr wrote in message . ..

On 4 Jul 2004 10:36:17 -0700, (N. Thornton) wrote:

pgtr wrote in message . ..

I CAN also get back into Win2K if I drop the FSB down to 66 for a
stock 566 speed (and of course old DOS at 850mhz too).

says it all.

Can you expand more on what all that says?

I'm no overclocking genius but if it all works dandy at one speed and
frequently hangs at 30% faster speed... hello?

It means there's a problem. Your assumption that it also means the
processor can't handle it isn't necessarily the case, however.

And your description is misleading. 'Frequently', with no other
description, suggests it's semi 'random', that it 'just happens' some
times, but there's a definite, repeatable, known set of circumstances that
causes it to hang at a single, known, spot while it runs perfectly fine for
days on end under the right circumstances.

PS: Also the case reset button no longer functions w/ it set at
100FSB(850mhz) - usually I have to power cycle now too...?

again, says it all. Seems like you been focussing too much on whats
not relevant. Something needs slowing down. I've no idea what your
speed options are on this combo but hope you can do something better
than 566, if not 850.

I've got the thing as conservatively set up as possible.

Is a 566 running at 850 conservative?

Depends on how you define 'conservative' and in what context. It isn't
'unusual' for a 566 to run 850, NOT running 850 would be the unusual case,
and the CB0 566 I had ran 1020/120MHz FSB (properly torture tested). In
that context, 850 does look rather 'conservative'.

The only real
variable here that I'm aware of is the FSB - can you suggest what I
appear to be missing?

the obvious?

I think the problem here with 'obvious' is you seem to be operating under
the theory that if a 'problem' occurs then it's 'broke' so give up (the
'obvious' answer) whereas we're looking at what others have done, and the
statistical success rate, and wondering why this one seems to be so oddball
compared to what virtually every other 566 can do; then looking at the
symptoms to see if we can find out why.

You may be right, but it's not the odds.

The chip is locked at 8.5 multiplier. It runs fine at 66FSB (it's
stock speed). It will run fine at 75FSB (a mild OC of 637mhz). It will
run fine at 100FSB one time immediately after a BIOS flash. It will
also run fine at 850mhz(100FSB) repeatedly if using a boot disk into
DOS or Win98 command prompt. (I'm going to check a full 98 setup
later). So far the indications are that the COMBINATION of W2K and 850
on this chip are mutually exclusive. Also all the H/W has worked fine
in the past w/ Win2K at 100FSB (using a 366 OC'd to 550).

Can you offer some suggestions on what is relevant to try?

DOS / 98 command prompt is small and simple compared to win98, and
thus far more likely to boot than full Win when you have data errors
going on. This is to be expected.

I doubt DOS would boot with flat out 'errors'. It isn't as if DOS has
'spare' program material that can get corrupted with no effect.

I dont know I could always be wrong, but it seems quite obvious that
youre trying to run it at a speed it cant do. What to do? Run it at a
speed it will do! What else?

Find what the problem is.

Youve tried the tricks, tweaking the voltage... thats it. Your max
speed depends not just on CPU or mobo, but on the pair of them
together. If the CPU will run faster in another mobo, you might
contemplate using the other mobo.

That's a possibility but I'm more inclined to think it has something to do
with the foolie flash.

Regards, NT

Old July 7th 04, 11:52 PM
David Maynard

pgtr wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 02:17:42 -0500, David Maynard
wrote:

SNIP

It hangs. It usually hangs in the black 'F8' screen w/ the progress
bar at the bottom that says it is starting windows. The progress bar
at the bottom usually goes about 75-80% across when it locks up. The
case reset switch has no affect at this point either - I have to power
it off. It will not log a bootlog file either.

The case reset switch not working is particularly disturbing. Does it work
on the 'first' boot? I mean, instead of trying a reboot can you kill it by
hitting reset?

Let me expand on that. The 'reset' switch on the case normally works
fine and of course is only needed in a dire situation (which is super
rare or almost never for me under W2K). If I OC to 850mhz and do the
flash trick I can get into W2K. At that point I've never tried the
reset swich because there was no need. The PC functioned normally and
I could then do a normal restart or shut down thru windows.

That is what I presumed was the case and is why I asked about trying the
reset switch when the system is in the 'working' state.

The NEXT time into W2K it will of course hang usually on the black F8
windows starting phase... Now HERE if I hit the reset button it will
blank the screen, you'll here some ticks coming from the HD as you
normally would but then it just sits there w/ a black screen
indefinately. I simply have to turn the power off and then back on to
get it to respond again.

WELLLlllllll, now, that's a sight different than the original description
of "reset switch has no affect (sic)." It IS apparently doing
'something'... it blanks the screen and the hard drive response indicates
it got a hard reset.

The motherboard apparently isn't 'starting back up', from the reset, though.

I CAN however put a boot disk in and boot (at 850mhz) into a DOS
prompt (W98 book disk) and the reset button works there as well as
CNTRL ALT DEL.

It's beginning to sound like a BIOS power management issue. APM, ACPI,
nothing, conflicting, confused, I don't know.

Of course, DOS couldn't care less about APM/ACPI but Windows 2000 sure as
heck does and it's going to be very angry about having the wrong kernel
(APM, ACPI, etc) vs what the motherboard claims.

Basically when it hangs on teh 2nd attempt and beyond going into W2K
at 850mhz - it REALLY hangs and not even the reset button will wake it
up properly - just a power off/on.

Yes, ok. The rest doesn't cause a proper reboot but, according to your
current description, it IS doing something.

Yeah. Ok. If you'd mentioned Abit and flashing for Vcore I'd have known
what you meant.

Yep. I thought I'd mentioned in the orig post it was an ABit ZM6
(similar to BM6 but less memory). You know your mobos! I have the
latest flashing they released (SU?) to move the default voltage up...
I think the chip is pretty happy at 1.85V which is right in line w/
the many entries in overclockers.com CPU database for OCing the 566 to
850.

Yeah, I don't think it's the voltage, per see, or else the symptom would be
more random.

How does the 566 perform at 850 if you use the max voltage the 'normal'
default range allows?

I've never heard of a problem quite like this but it's as if the
motherboard doesn't like the foolie flash.

Which Abit motherboard is it? I presume it's one of their socket 370 boards
because if you're using a slotket you could adjust Vcore there and not
bother with the flash. Well, unless you're using one of the el-cheapo
slotkets with no Vcore jumpers.

Yes again - you do know those old mobos! The ZM6 w/ the last couple of
flashings (QU? and SU?) will support the earliest coppermine CPUs
including explicitly the cB0 stepping up to 600mhz - this chip is a
566 cB0 stepping. No slotket or adapter.

Set your memory timings to the slowest possible and see if that helps.

Long since set to slowest most conservative settings. Everythign in
BIOS is set conservatively. Remember this all worked fine w/ a 100FSB
setting w/ a 366 OCd to 550. The 100FSB itself in thoery shouldn't be
a problem here I would think...?

Well, it could but, in this case, I doubt that's it since it works
'forever' until you try to reboot.

Indeed. Forever: Several days at a time including extended overnight
sessions w/ prime95 torture test. No apparent temp problems or
stability issues. It just runs fantastic at 850mhz that ONE time after
a flash under W2K. Its the 2nd time and beyond that it hangs... As I
said never quite heard of something like this in my limited OCing
experience. Strange!

I got lucky in stumbling into the fact that it would work the one time
after a reflash - if it wasn't for that I might very well have
concluded it was not do-able.

Just because it worked with a 366 OC'd, though, doesn't mean a 566 'must'.
On the other hand, that overclock isn't in any way unusual.

No it doesn't. But 366 at 550 tells me that the system is stable and
happy w/ a 100FSB. And the 566 CAN run nicely at 850 indefinately that
'one' time after a flash. It can also run at 850 consistently via a
DOS prompt boot. Sure seems like the ducks are all in a row for it to
OC at 850mhz but throw in W2K and ...?

Which kernel DO you have in win2000? ACPI? 'Standard pc'?

The only significant difference I can think of, off hand, is the 366 being
a ppga but the 566 a COPPERMINE. What stepping is it? The B stepping is
socket compatible with ppga but I think there were some differences with the C.

Yep - see above - it's a cB0 which is supported by ABit ZM6 w/ the
last couple of BIOS releases.

Yes. Well, CB0 should be plug in compatible with ppga anyway.

I don't have an answer but some thoughts. It seems to be either BIOS or
coppermine related and not the overclock, per see, since it runs fine the
one time. The reboot failure sounds similar to the reset switch not working
since the last thing a reboot does is essentially a reset. Which wouldn't
seem to explain not working a second time from a cold start EXCEPT a cold
start 'starts' with reset (By reset I mean to include setting up the
processor registers). So then the question would be, why does it work the
first time at all? And, with that, it starts at 66, so it had a reset, you
flash, reboot, set Vcore/FSB, and then run 100. Have you tried powering it
off RIGHT after you set 100MHz FSB, but no boot into Windows, to see if it
will THEN run the 'one time' from a cold start at 100MHz FSB?

No I haven't tried that particular combination. What might that tells
us one way or the other? To be honest going thru the flashing process
is a little tricky and sometimes it doesn't take or preserve the
voltages correctly and may take a 2nd or 3rd attempt (I've had
problems w/ it reverting from 1.7V to 1.5V default on subsequent
flashes so I have to do it twice). Even though I have a UPS we have
lots of power fluctuations out here and to be honest I'm just plain
nervous about doing any more flashes.

Well, I was trying to establish whether the reset ever worked 'right' with
win2000 but I'm now on the power management tract.

What *I* would do, at this stage, since the Vcore range is your big issue,
is wire strap the processor pins for a higher Vcore so the BIOS just
naturally thinks it should be higher: no flash required.

Pulling VID3, that's AJ37, to ground (AK36, Vss, is right next to it) will
give you 1.9V default (just about your only choice short of
insulating/pulling pins), which you can then lower to the 1.85 you're using.

That is, if the default core is 1.5, as I think you said. If it's higher
then jumpering AJ37 low will result in a correspondingly higher Vcore above
1.9.

Doesn't seem to explain why it would run in DOS, though, unless whatever is
'missing' from the reset is of no consequence to DOS.

I'm leaning towards something odd going on w/ W2K that seems to upset
the applecart so to speak w/ regards to: BIOS or COppermine or
something...? I believe the chip posts consistently at 850. It doesn't
have any temperature related stability problems at 850. W2K is happy
w/ the chip at 66FSB and 75FSB.

There is a setting as I recall in the BIOS that is something like
'Force Update ESCD' - could that have any impact?

I'm going to hit the jumper on the mobo and clear the CMOS (may need
to reflash to get back to 1.7V default?) and see what that does.

Clearing BIOS is a grand idea with all the flashes you've done.

I'm also going to grab an extra small HD and put a Win98 install on
there and swap out the two large HDs w/ W2K for this one temporarily -
I'd like to see if it will boot consistently into a full Win98 at
850... I don't know how much it says that it can boot into a W98 dos
prompt at 850 consistently - it is only a DOS prompt as opposed to the
full W98. Basically at this point I'm sure the chip will post at 850
consistently. Also that it doesn't seem to have any temperature
related stability problems (based on 'successfuly' initial boots after
flash).

Try the VID jumper so you don't have to flash.

Old July 8th 04, 01:51 AM
N. Thornton

pgtr wrote in message . ..
On 7 Jul 2004 04:33:41 -0700, (N. Thornton) wrote:

I apologise for being a bit rude.

I'm no overclocking genius but if it all works dandy at one speed and
frequently hangs at 30% faster speed... hello?

It hangs specifically at startup under one specific OS in a consistent
fashion. THis largely eliminates the typical OC issues of not posting
and temperature stability problems and leaves some sort of
configuration issue.

POST failure, startup hang and instability are all caused by the same
thing: data errors. Data errors are what you get with an _unstably_
overclocked system.

Not POSTing is merely a more extreme data error problem than hang on
boot. Crashes after startup are the same issue again, merely with a
lower data error rate.

The difference merely lies in when the error occurred: during POST,
during startup, or after. The level of errors will determine which. 1
error per 0.1 secs will cause POST fail, 1 error per hour will cause
crashes during uptime. This is why DOS will often boot when Win wont:
far less work = less chance of error during startup.

So the picture leaves us with data errors, not configuration problems.

PS: Also the case reset button no longer functions w/ it set at
100FSB(850mhz) - usually I have to power cycle now too...?

again, says it all. Seems like you been focussing too much on whats
not relevant. Something needs slowing down. I've no idea what your
speed options are on this combo but hope you can do something better
than 566, if not 850.

I've got the thing as conservatively set up as possible.

Is a 566 running at 850 conservative?

To be more specific I was referring to all BIOS settings - they are as
conservative as possible.

850 still isnt conservative. Sorry

However a 566 at 850 is below average. The CPU database suggests 874
as average. Anything above that up to say 1ghz is aggressive. The 566
is generally regarded as one of the more OCable chips of that ilk much
like the 300A back in it's day.

566s may love o/cing, but that doesnt mean every 566 will do way above
566. Inevitably some wont, its always the way.
I agree 1G would be aggressive

The chip is locked at 8.5 multiplier. It runs fine at 66FSB (it's
stock speed). It will run fine at 75FSB (a mild OC of 637mhz). It will
run fine at 100FSB one time immediately after a BIOS flash. It will
also run fine at 850mhz(100FSB) repeatedly if using a boot disk into
DOS or Win98 command prompt. (I'm going to check a full 98 setup
later). So far the indications are that the COMBINATION of W2K and 850
on this chip are mutually exclusive. Also all the H/W has worked fine
in the past w/ Win2K at 100FSB (using a 366 OC'd to 550).

Can you offer some suggestions on what is relevant to try?

DOS / 98 command prompt is small and simple compared to win98, and
thus far more likely to boot than full Win when you have data errors
going on. This is to be expected.

Can you expand on "data errors" that might prevent W2K from booting
and hang?

have now done. Hopefully clearly.

I dont know I could always be wrong, but it seems quite obvious that
youre trying to run it at a speed it cant do. What to do? Run it at a
speed it will do! What else?

That's not exactly correct - I can reflash the BIOS each time at boot
up and it can CONSISTENTLY run at 850 indefinately and be very stable.

I am looking for:

A) an explanation as to what is special about running W2K immediately
after a flash that allows this

B) a solution to booting it at 850mhz into W2K w/o having to reflash
it each time

I know thats a teaser, but
a) its not something you can change AFAIK, unles you try older BIOS
software versions on the remote offchance one might work.
b) the plain stump-like fact is it runs reliably at 566 but not
consistently at 850.

Youve tried the tricks, tweaking the voltage... thats it. Your max
speed depends not just on CPU or mobo, but on the pair of them
together. If the CPU will run faster in another mobo, you might
contemplate using the other mobo.

Could there not be some driver or configuration issues w/ W2K?

I guess there one way to find out: put 98se on it, or any other 'as
different to 2k as poss' large OS. But if win2k starts up fine at 566
but not at 850, you have a clear answer: data errors at 850.

Regards, NT
Old July 8th 04, 02:44 AM
pgtr

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:52:58 -0500, David Maynard
wrote:

SNIP

WELLLlllllll, now, that's a sight different than the original description
of "reset switch has no affect (sic)." It IS apparently doing
'something'... it blanks the screen and the hard drive response indicates
it got a hard reset.

The motherboard apparently isn't 'starting back up', from the reset, though.

Yes BUT remember only if it was at 850. If it's at 637 or 566 it stops
and starts fine inclduing the reset button on the case.

I CAN however put a boot disk in and boot (at 850mhz) into a DOS
prompt (W98 book disk) and the reset button works there as well as
CNTRL ALT DEL.

It's beginning to sound like a BIOS power management issue. APM, ACPI,
nothing, conflicting, confused, I don't know.

Of course, DOS couldn't care less about APM/ACPI but Windows 2000 sure as
heck does and it's going to be very angry about having the wrong kernel
(APM, ACPI, etc) vs what the motherboard claims.

Hmmmmmm I might double check and see what BIOS is set at. I've done so
many flashes that I've stopped bothered to modify much of anything
other than the CPU and maybe the setting for PnP OS. Everything else
iincluding those power settings in BIOS are all left at whatever the
default is.

Basically when it hangs on teh 2nd attempt and beyond going into W2K
at 850mhz - it REALLY hangs and not even the reset button will wake it
up properly - just a power off/on.

Yes, ok. The rest doesn't cause a proper reboot but, according to your
current description, it IS doing something.

Well it 'tries' to restart and acts like it is, but never gets beyond
a blank screen so I power off. Again, only at 850 though not at 566 or
637.

Yeah. Ok. If you'd mentioned Abit and flashing for Vcore I'd have known
what you meant.

Yep. I thought I'd mentioned in the orig post it was an ABit ZM6
(similar to BM6 but less memory). You know your mobos! I have the
latest flashing they released (SU?) to move the default voltage up...
I think the chip is pretty happy at 1.85V which is right in line w/
the many entries in overclockers.com CPU database for OCing the 566 to
850.

Yeah, I don't think it's the voltage, per see, or else the symptom would be
more random.

How does the 566 perform at 850 if you use the max voltage the 'normal'
default range allows?

The max teh default allows is 1.5 +-.2 or 1.7V. That just wasn't
enough as I recall. It's real happy at about 1.8 to 1.9. I don't
recall how it did at 1.75V offhand but I think it might also work
there...

SNIP

Just because it worked with a 366 OC'd, though, doesn't mean a 566 'must'.
On the other hand, that overclock isn't in any way unusual.

No it doesn't. But 366 at 550 tells me that the system is stable and
happy w/ a 100FSB. And the 566 CAN run nicely at 850 indefinately that
'one' time after a flash. It can also run at 850 consistently via a
DOS prompt boot. Sure seems like the ducks are all in a row for it to
OC at 850mhz but throw in W2K and ...?

Which kernel DO you have in win2000? ACPI? 'Standard pc'?

YOu would ask. How do I tell? In Control Panel: Power Options it shows
an APM tab. In that tab it is NOT checked.

Under Device Mgr if I view hidden devices the NT/APM Legacy driver
shows itself but w/ a red X - it's disabled.

Let me know what to change or check for and I'll definately go for it.

FWIW the reset does work fine @ 566 and 637 (75fsb) and did w/ the old
366 @ 550(100fsb) as well.

What *I* would do, at this stage, since the Vcore range is your big issue,
is wire strap the processor pins for a higher Vcore so the BIOS just
naturally thinks it should be higher: no flash required.

Pulling VID3, that's AJ37, to ground (AK36, Vss, is right next to it) will
give you 1.9V default (just about your only choice short of
insulating/pulling pins), which you can then lower to the 1.85 you're using.

That is, if the default core is 1.5, as I think you said. If it's higher
then jumpering AJ37 low will result in a correspondingly higher Vcore above
1.9.

So you're saying soldering a wire between AJ37 and AK36? Would this
best be done from under the mobo?

Here's a link to an interesting article that talks about modifying the
same ZM6 mobo for later coppermines - it's where I picked up the flash
trick.
http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/370mod/
I need to find a better diagram of the celeron as that one is too
small/blurry - probably at intel.com I can find a better one.

Any other easy/quickee tricks to jump AJ37 and AK36?

I don't mind putting something around a pint to insulate it (like a
piece of insulation from an old ribbon cable). Bit more of a hassle to
pull everything apart and solder from behind - small for me to solder
but I think doable for me.

Doesn't seem to explain why it would run in DOS, though, unless whatever is
'missing' from the reset is of no consequence to DOS.

I'm leaning towards something odd going on w/ W2K that seems to upset
the applecart so to speak w/ regards to: BIOS or COppermine or
something...? I believe the chip posts consistently at 850. It doesn't
have any temperature related stability problems at 850. W2K is happy
w/ the chip at 66FSB and 75FSB.

There is a setting as I recall in the BIOS that is something like
'Force Update ESCD' - could that have any impact?

I'm going to hit the jumper on the mobo and clear the CMOS (may need
to reflash to get back to 1.7V default?) and see what that does.

Clearing BIOS is a grand idea with all the flashes you've done.

Just did it today at lunch and sure enough it kicked me back to 1.5V.
SO I figured I'd reflash w/ /cc and have been running 850mhz all
afternoon (including a torture test for kicks). I haven't had teh
heart to restart it figuring I'll probably lose the 850 yet again...

I'm also going to grab an extra small HD and put a Win98 install on
there and swap out the two large HDs w/ W2K for this one temporarily -
I'd like to see if it will boot consistently into a full Win98 at
850... I don't know how much it says that it can boot into a W98 dos
prompt at 850 consistently - it is only a DOS prompt as opposed to the
full W98. Basically at this point I'm sure the chip will post at 850
consistently. Also that it doesn't seem to have any temperature
related stability problems (based on 'successfuly' initial boots after
flash).

Try the VID jumper so you don't have to flash.

Yeah I understand what you are thinking but I need to think that one
thru. FYI the 'default' chips only cycle up to 600(66).

I also still want to load up W98 on a spare HD and see what happens.
If it works that would isolate the problem as unique to W2K combined
w/ the OC'd chip.

And I will need to (reluctantly) reboot here shortly and verify it
will NOT come up @ 850 a second time in W2K.
Old July 8th 04, 03:02 AM
pgtr

On 7 Jul 2004 17:51:40 -0700, (N. Thornton) wrote:

pgtr wrote in message . ..
On 7 Jul 2004 04:33:41 -0700,
(N. Thornton) wrote:

[...]

It does? I've logged at least 72 hours now under W2K on this
particular 566 at 850mhz and it has not locked up or acted in an
instable fashion once. Obviously I have to perform the flash trick to
get it up at that particular speed but once up it's fine. There's no
reason to believe the system couldn't run indefinately and in a stable
fashion.

[...]

Conservative or aggressive - I've logged at least 72 hours now under
W2K on this particular 566 at 850mhz and it has not locked up or acted
in an instable fashion once. Obviously I have to perform the flash
trick to get it up but once up it's fine. In fact I'm posting this
message while running at 850.

[...]

Again it DOES run consistently at 850mhz for hours or even days even
under torture test conditions if I myself am consistent in reflashing
it prior to booting. I often leave my system up for weeks, sometimes a
month or better. Given the long stints the system is left up for - I
could almost justify the pre-boot flash trick as standard procedure.

I guess there one way to find out: put 98se on it, or any other 'as
different to 2k as poss' large OS. But if win2k starts up fine at 566
but not at 850, you have a clear answer: data errors at 850.

If it runs 98SE even after a boot would that not suggest a config
error in relation to W2K and the h/w in question?

Old July 8th 04, 04:30 AM
David Maynard

N. Thornton wrote:

pgtr wrote in message . ..

On 7 Jul 2004 04:33:41 -0700, (N. Thornton) wrote:

I apologise for being a bit rude.

I'm no overclocking genius but if it all works dandy at one speed and
frequently hangs at 30% faster speed... hello?

It hangs specifically at startup under one specific OS in a consistent
fashion. THis largely eliminates the typical OC issues of not posting
and temperature stability problems and leaves some sort of
configuration issue.

POST failure,

He doesn't HAVE a "post failure."

startup hang and instability are all caused by the same
thing: data errors. Data errors are what you get with an _unstably_
overclocked system.

Simply not true. A bad driver can cause a system hang. The wrong O.S.
kernel can cause a system hang. There are LOTS of things that can cause
hangs and 'instability' and that have nothing to do with an overclock.

Not POSTing is merely a more extreme data error problem than hang on
boot. Crashes after startup are the same issue again, merely with a
lower data error rate.

Again, not true, and for many of the same reasons. "Not posting" is NOT
"merely a more extreme data error problem" unless by "data error" you
simply mean 'something went wrong'.

The difference merely lies in when the error occurred: during POST,
during startup, or after.

'The difference' is what one uses to debug the cause of the problem.

The level of errors will determine which. 1
error per 0.1 secs will cause POST fail, 1 error per hour will cause
crashes during uptime. This is why DOS will often boot when Win wont:
far less work = less chance of error during startup.

I'd love to see where you came up with those error rates.

So the picture leaves us with data errors, not configuration problems.

PS: Also the case reset button no longer functions w/ it set at
100FSB(850mhz) - usually I have to power cycle now too...?

again, says it all. Seems like you been focussing too much on whats
not relevant. Something needs slowing down. I've no idea what your
speed options are on this combo but hope you can do something better
than 566, if not 850.

I've got the thing as conservatively set up as possible.

Is a 566 running at 850 conservative?

To be more specific I was referring to all BIOS settings - they are as
conservative as possible.

850 still isnt conservative. Sorry

In your opinion.

However a 566 at 850 is below average. The CPU database suggests 874
as average. Anything above that up to say 1ghz is aggressive. The 566
is generally regarded as one of the more OCable chips of that ilk much
like the 300A back in it's day.

566s may love o/cing, but that doesnt mean every 566 will do way above
566. Inevitably some wont, its always the way.
I agree 1G would be aggressive

True. However, the fact that, on the first boot, it will run perfectly fine
till the cows come home suggests there is no problem at all with his 566
running 850. There are no crashes, random reboots (he'd probably love to
see one), or any other instability symptoms. There are no, as you put it,
'data errors'.

[...]

One certainly can't imagine a 'change' that could be made if one doesn't at
least develop a theory as to why it makes a difference.

b) the plain stump-like fact is it runs reliably at 566 but not
consistently at 850.

Except your "plain stump fact" isn't. The "plain stump fact" is it runs
perfectly fine at 850, for days on end. But the dern thing doesn't reboot,
nor run a second time, for some unknown reason. Whether that's due to the
flash, running 100MHz FSB (which is a standard FSB, btw), some oddball BIOS
setting, a misconfigured Win2000, bad caps, bad PSU, the overclock,
gremlins, bad karma, B.O., or some other as of yet unidentified problem is
simply unknown.

Hell, for all you know he simply forget to set the dern AGP or PCI divider.

Youve tried the tricks, tweaking the voltage... thats it. Your max
speed depends not just on CPU or mobo, but on the pair of them
together. If the CPU will run faster in another mobo, you might
contemplate using the other mobo.

Could there not be some driver or configuration issues w/ W2K?

I guess there one way to find out: put 98se on it, or any other 'as
different to 2k as poss' large OS. But if win2k starts up fine at 566
but not at 850, you have a clear answer: data errors at 850.

Not everything that can create problems is a 'data error', unless you mean
to include every electrical signal in the system, including power rails, as
being some form of 'data'. But I don't think that's the meaning you intend
and your 'clear answer' just isn't so.

Old July 8th 04, 05:16 AM
pgtr

Result:

Well it was a step forward.... kinda...

After clearing the CMOS via the mobo jumper and reflashing to get my
voltage options up I was again in W2K at 850 for the better part of
this afternoon. I was reluctant to restart windows because I figured
it would fail and I'd be back in at 637mhz.

Well wouldn't ya know it, after the CMOS clear, and all that I DID get
into W2K again at 850. And again and again via 'restart'. Even ran a
torture test for an hour or two while at dinner.

But wait! there's a catch. I then powered down the PC and after a few
minutes turned it on again. Uh oh... back to square one. It would not
get into W2K after a power down after all of that.

-------

On the reset switch power front. I did notice the ACPI tab on device
driver under the 'computer' tab in the device manager - missed that in
my previous post. After a little digging around on the web I realized
my mobo (the old ZM6 ABit from late 90s) is not fully ACPI compatible
w/ W2K - the telltale sign is it has never fully powered down from W2K
like it used to under W98SE. THere is an APM tab in the power options
device manager entry that indicates W2K did detect APM when it was
installed as well as (limited?) ACPI. I switched the APM driver on and
enabled in W2K as well as the BIOS and it now powers down the system
from W2K rather than physically pretting the power button. No biggee -
just a minor discovery and improvement.

But the reset button continues to do little more than blank the screen
and cause the drives to click a few times if it follows a previously
unsuccessful attempt to load W2K at 850. The reset button seems to be
working under other conditions like slower speeds.

Anyway I 'think' I can amend the previous condition of one time after
flash to many restarts after flash until a power-off... Well it's
progress of sorts...

--------

I'm going to start off my 98SE setup at last.

I'm thinking on that Vid to Vss jumper mentioned earlier.

May try safe mode and bootlogging again though neither worked in the
past.

thanks!

Old July 8th 04, 05:22 AM
P2B

pgtr wrote:
[...]

That's easy - immediately after you flash, the BIOS is in a state which
allows W2K to boot at 850 on your specific hardware. This state is lost
after you boot W2K, and you have yet to happen on a way to restore it -
short of reflashing.

Discovering exactly *how* the BIOS state changes and *why* that prevents
rebooting is a much more difficult problem, one that is very probably
insoluble without sophisticated diagnostic equipment.

B) a solution to booting it at 850mhz into W2K w/o having to reflash
it each time

Finding such a solution, if it exists, is likely a matter of trial and
error. I may have missed it, but on reviewing the thread I don't see
much evidence of attempts to find a less drastic way to restore the BIOS
to it's post-flash state. Have you tried simply entering and exiting the
BIOS without saving? Entering the BIOS, changing a trivial parameter,
exiting with or without saving? Resetting BIOS to defaults? etc. etc. If
there's more than one BIOS revision available which supports your
configuration, try these tricks with all suitable versions. Experiments
of this nature have yielded positive results for me on several
occasions, most notably the ability to run 1GB RAM at 140Mhz FSB on a
P2B-DS. This is impossible unless you enter/exit the BIOS on every boot
- for reasons unknown and unlikely to be explained, but hey, it works :-)

It occurs to me the root of this problem might relate to CPU microcode,
given that W2K will apply a CPU microcode update early in the boot
process if the BIOS has not already done so, whereas DOS and W98 do not
have this functionality. It would be be interesting to know if your BIOS
contains the microcode update for the problematic CPU, and what effect
removing it (if present) or adding it (if not) has on your symptoms.

Finding out if W2K will install at 850, and if so, whether the fresh
install will reboot at 850 might also prove to be a worthwhile exercise
- or not.

Since your issue does not seem to have been encountered and solved
previously, I think you're down to trial and error. The trial
suggestions above are based on my experience, and with any luck might
yield positive results - or at least more information.

HTH

P2B

Old July 8th 04, 06:49 AM
David Maynard

pgtr wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:52:58 -0500, David Maynard
wrote:

SNIP

WELLLlllllll, now, that's a sight different than the original description
of "reset switch has no affect (sic)." It IS apparently doing
'something'... it blanks the screen and the hard drive response indicates
it got a hard reset.

The motherboard apparently isn't 'starting back up', from the reset, though.

Yes BUT remember only if it was at 850. If it's at 637 or 566 it stops
and starts fine inclduing the reset button on the case.

I am aware of that. And getting to a running 850 always involves a flash
procedure.

[...]

I know. But doing 'something' vs 'nothing' is potentially useful debug
information.

[...]

Well, the POINT is, if it runs AT ALL, try it and see if the dern thing
BOOTS past that problem point.

SNIP

Just because it worked with a 366 OC'd, though, doesn't mean a 566 'must'.
On the other hand, that overclock isn't in any way unusual.

No it doesn't. But 366 at 550 tells me that the system is stable and
happy w/ a 100FSB. And the 566 CAN run nicely at 850 indefinately that
'one' time after a flash. It can also run at 850 consistently via a
DOS prompt boot. Sure seems like the ducks are all in a row for it to
OC at 850mhz but throw in W2K and ...?

Which kernel DO you have in win2000? ACPI? 'Standard pc'?

YOu would ask. How do I tell? In Control Panel: Power Options it shows
an APM tab. In that tab it is NOT checked.

Under Device Mgr if I view hidden devices the NT/APM Legacy driver
shows itself but w/ a red X - it's disabled.

Let me know what to change or check for and I'll definately go for it.

The HAL.DLL will be in system32 but you need to check properties to see
what it's original name was. My HAL, for example, says it was originally
halaacpi.dll (meaning ACPI Uniprocessor PC).

http://www.dewassoc.com/support/win2000/tshoot_hal.htm

(note they say to rename it, which is why you need to check properties as
Windows install renames it too)

No I haven't tried that particular combination. What might that tells
us one way or the other? To be honest going thru the flashing process
is a little tricky and sometimes it doesn't take or preserve the
voltages correctly and may take a 2nd or 3rd attempt (I've had
problems w/ it reverting from 1.7V to 1.5V default on subsequent
flashes so I have to do it twice). Even though I have a UPS we have
lots of power fluctuations out here and to be honest I'm just plain
nervous about doing any more flashes.

Well, I was trying to establish whether the reset ever worked 'right' with
win2000 but I'm now on the power management tract.

FWIW the reset does work fine @ 566 and 637 (75fsb) and did w/ the old
366 @ 550(100fsb) as well.

I presumed that. The question was whether it worked right during the 'first
run', and before a reboot attempt, at 850, but that was when I was going on
your description of it doing 'nothing'. Now that I know it DOES 'do
something' it's become a moot question. 'Reset' isn't 'dead'; it's the
'startup' (initialization) that's not getting done for some reason.

What *I* would do, at this stage, since the Vcore range is your big issue,
is wire strap the processor pins for a higher Vcore so the BIOS just
naturally thinks it should be higher: no flash required.

Pulling VID3, that's AJ37, to ground (AK36, Vss, is right next to it) will
give you 1.9V default (just about your only choice short of
insulating/pulling pins), which you can then lower to the 1.85 you're using.

That is, if the default core is 1.5, as I think you said. If it's higher
then jumpering AJ37 low will result in a correspondingly higher Vcore above
1.9.

So you're saying soldering a wire between AJ37 and AK36? Would this
best be done from under the mobo?

If you're going to solder, then yes, on the mobo. I use the 'pin hole in
the wire' trick to jumper them on the processor itself: Stripping a single,
insulated, strand off a ribbon cable, punching two appropriately spaced
holes (which means a semi long piece so each end is maneuverable and it
ends up like a loop from one pin to the other) through the insulation (and
the center of the wire bundle) with a safety pin (sprung open) and then
pushing the wire onto the processor pins. The slight 'tension' to the
stretched insulation (since the pin is in there) will keep the wire against
the processor pin, if you get the hole in the middle of the wire bundle.
Takes me forever, and multiple choice words, to get one 'right' but, once
done, it works.

Here's a link to an interesting article that talks about modifying the
same ZM6 mobo for later coppermines - it's where I picked up the flash
trick.
http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/370mod/
I need to find a better diagram of the celeron as that one is too
small/blurry - probably at intel.com I can find a better one.

I've seen the various mod types. I've got two BH6s, an Asus P2B-VM, well,
the slotkets, and a Chaintech Via mobo modified for tualatins. With the
slotkets I use them to set the voltage. It's the socket 370 Chaintech I use
the pin through wire trick on. Did it for a P-III in a ppga socket 370
board too.

Any other easy/quickee tricks to jump AJ37 and AK36?

Conductive paint pen.

Don't try soldering them because, unless you are very good, you'll loose a pin.

I don't mind putting something around a pint to insulate it (like a
piece of insulation from an old ribbon cable). Bit more of a hassle to
pull everything apart and solder from behind - small for me to solder
but I think doable for me.

I never could get the 'insulation' trick to work and you don't really need
to as 1.9v is not so far off as to be a serious problem.

Doesn't seem to explain why it would run in DOS, though, unless whatever is
'missing' from the reset is of no consequence to DOS.

I'm leaning towards something odd going on w/ W2K that seems to upset
the applecart so to speak w/ regards to: BIOS or COppermine or
something...? I believe the chip posts consistently at 850. It doesn't
have any temperature related stability problems at 850. W2K is happy
w/ the chip at 66FSB and 75FSB.

There is a setting as I recall in the BIOS that is something like
'Force Update ESCD' - could that have any impact?

I'm going to hit the jumper on the mobo and clear the CMOS (may need
to reflash to get back to 1.7V default?) and see what that does.

Clearing BIOS is a grand idea with all the flashes you've done.

Just did it today at lunch and sure enough it kicked me back to 1.5V.

I figured it would.

SO I figured I'd reflash w/ /cc and have been running 850mhz all
afternoon (including a torture test for kicks). I haven't had teh
heart to restart it figuring I'll probably lose the 850 yet again...

Hehe. Probably.

I suppose you could get a UPS and leave it permanently on. Then hope you
never have an update that requires a reboot. (good luck)

I'm also going to grab an extra small HD and put a Win98 install on
there and swap out the two large HDs w/ W2K for this one temporarily -
I'd like to see if it will boot consistently into a full Win98 at
850... I don't know how much it says that it can boot into a W98 dos
prompt at 850 consistently - it is only a DOS prompt as opposed to the
full W98. Basically at this point I'm sure the chip will post at 850
consistently. Also that it doesn't seem to have any temperature
related stability problems (based on 'successfuly' initial boots after
flash).

Try the VID jumper so you don't have to flash.

Yeah I understand what you are thinking but I need to think that one
thru. FYI the 'default' chips only cycle up to 600(66).

The 'default chips' shouldn't matter as you're setting the FSB manually
anyway. It's the foolie part of the flash I'm wondering about.

I also still want to load up W98 on a spare HD and see what happens.
If it works that would isolate the problem as unique to W2K combined
w/ the OC'd chip.

Yep. A reasonable test.

And I will need to (reluctantly) reboot here shortly and verify it
will NOT come up @ 850 a second time in W2K.

/play violins