Question on UMAX Astra 6450 Scanner for XP (Firewire)

Old July 6th 06, 08:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Jethro

Default Question on UMAX Astra 6450 Scanner for XP (Firewire)

I have spent a good week trying to find a driver for this scanner to
run under XP. Nothing I found (Driverguide & elsewhere) and
downloaded works.

I do find a comment or two saying that the individuals could never get
their 6450 to run under XP.

I also find several sources that are ready and willing to provide me a
driver if I pay a sum of $$. Worse, the drivers they want to
provide seem identical to those that I have tried and failed. So I
have no faith that a working driver really exists. Waste of money,
hmm?

So I wonder. Has anyone out there ever got their Astra 6450 scanner
to work under XP? If so, how? If not, tell me please.

Thanks

Jethro
Old July 6th 06, 10:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Paul

In article , Jethro
wrote:

I have spent a good week trying to find a driver for this scanner to
run under XP. Nothing I found (Driverguide & elsewhere) and
downloaded works.

I do find a comment or two saying that the individuals could never get
their 6450 to run under XP.

I also find several sources that are ready and willing to provide me a
driver if I pay a sum of $$. Worse, the drivers they want to
provide seem identical to those that I have tried and failed. So I
have no faith that a working driver really exists. Waste of money,
hmm?

So I wonder. Has anyone out there ever got their Astra 6450 scanner
to work under XP? If so, how? If not, tell me please.

Thanks

Jethro

Silverfast SE is a commercial software, and I don't think UMAX
wrote it.

http://www.umax.com/download/index.jsp

There is a download demo link on this page, and perhaps
you can try a demo and see if the software works or not.
If you can see yourself paying $49 at some point, then
change the demo download to Silverfast SE.

http://www.silverfast.com/overview/en.html

That is all I found worthwhile in a quick search.

Good luck,
Paul
Old July 6th 06, 10:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.scanner
kony

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 19:48:02 GMT, Jethro
wrote:

I have spent a good week trying to find a driver for this scanner to
run under XP. Nothing I found (Driverguide & elsewhere) and
downloaded works.

So what happens when you try to use it?
Are these the official drivers from UMAX, and for XP, or
some other source? Have you tried them on pre-SP1 XP, or
only on later patched versions of XP?

I do find a comment or two saying that the individuals could never get
their 6450 to run under XP.

I also find several sources that are ready and willing to provide me a
driver if I pay a sum of $$. Worse, the drivers they want to
provide seem identical to those that I have tried and failed. So I
have no faith that a working driver really exists. Waste of money,
hmm?

So I wonder. Has anyone out there ever got their Astra 6450 scanner
to work under XP? If so, how? If not, tell me please.

Thanks

Jethro

Isn't it a basic 600x200 CCFL scanner? Now that it's aged
and the CCFL is degrading, how much can it be worth? In
other words, it seems better to just replace it at this
point unless those offering $ were expecting it to be $2
instead of the development cost for a driver.

Have you tried this?
http://www.silverfast.com/sf-download/se/en.html
Old July 7th 06, 12:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Jethro

wrote:

I have spent a good week trying to find a driver for this scanner to
run under XP. Nothing I found (Driverguide & elsewhere) and
downloaded works.

So what happens when you try to use it?
Are these the official drivers from UMAX, and for XP, or
some other source? Have you tried them on pre-SP1 XP, or
only on later patched versions of XP?

The UMAX site seems to say (to me) that there is no downloadable. You
have to buy a CD. I don't want to do that if the dang thing won't
work anyway. I downloaded the only driver for XP from Driverguide.com
but it did not work. I am using XP SP2. The driver starts to load
but I get an error saying they did not install correctly. AND, my
Device Manager now shows the dreaded yellow flag under Imaging
devices. My copies of Vistascan, Vuescan Demo. Magicscan Demo,
Silverfast Demo all say the scanner cannot be found.

Yes, the scanner is powered-on before boot-up.

I do find a comment or two saying that the individuals could never get
their 6450 to run under XP.

I also find several sources that are ready and willing to provide me a
driver if I pay a sum of $$. Worse, the drivers they want to
provide seem identical to those that I have tried and failed. So I
have no faith that a working driver really exists. Waste of money,
hmm?

So I wonder. Has anyone out there ever got their Astra 6450 scanner
to work under XP? If so, how? If not, tell me please.

Thanks

Jethro

Isn't it a basic 600x200 CCFL scanner? Now that it's aged
and the CCFL is degrading, how much can it be worth? In
other words, it seems better to just replace it at this
point unless those offering $ were expecting it to be $2
instead of the development cost for a driver.

You are dead right about that!

Have you tried this?
http://www.silverfast.com/sf-download/se/en.html

I downloaded SFTWE-6.4.4r3b(UmaxSDK-SE).exe
from here - it installs, but scanner still sits unrecognized.

Thanks

Jethro
Old July 7th 06, 01:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Paul

In article , Jethro
wrote:

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:27:50 -0400, kony wrote:

Have you tried this?
http://www.silverfast.com/sf-download/se/en.html

I downloaded SFTWE-6.4.4r3b(UmaxSDK-SE).exe
from here - it installs, but scanner still sits unrecognized.

Thanks

Jethro

Does any other utility recognize that there is something
on the Firewire bus ?

Does the scanner have an external power supply and is it
connected ?

Was the scanner damaged by a previous owner ? Firewire
interfaces have been known to blow out, both at the
computer end, and at the peripheral end.

Paul
Old July 7th 06, 01:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Jethro

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 20:23:00 -0400, (Paul) wrote:

In article , Jethro
wrote:

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:27:50 -0400, kony wrote:

Have you tried this?
http://www.silverfast.com/sf-download/se/en.html

I downloaded SFTWE-6.4.4r3b(UmaxSDK-SE).exe
from here - it installs, but scanner still sits unrecognized.

Thanks

Jethro

Does any other utility recognize that there is something
on the Firewire bus ?

As of now, I have no other Firewire device. Not that I know of,
anyway.

Does the scanner have an external power supply and is it
connected ?

Yes, and it was powered on separately before I booted.

Was the scanner damaged by a previous owner ? Firewire
interfaces have been known to blow out, both at the
computer end, and at the peripheral end.

I tried my two machines - one has a Firewire PCI card (AMD), and the
other has Firewire on-board (P4). Both have XP SP2 and fail same way.
I bought the Firewire cable new last month.

The Firewire is recognized in each machine's Device Manager as okay -
but both Device Managers show the 'Imaging Device' as flagged yellow.

Paul

One thing - I don't know if the scanner really works - even though the
scanner comes on and the scan-light comes on.

Thanks for your interest guys

Jethro
Old July 7th 06, 05:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.scanner
CSM1

wrote:

[...]

Delete (Remove) that yellow marked device, Unplug the scanner. Reboot the
computer.
Install the correct software. Reboot, then plug in the scanner and turn it
on.
Windows XP should then see the scanner.

You should never connect a scanner until AFTER installing the correct
software in Windows XP.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old July 7th 06, 01:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Jethro

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 04:12:10 GMT, "CSM1"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Paul -

I repeated my installation and followed your instructions. When I
re-booted after installing Vistascan software (which said it did
successfully), and after powering the scanner ON, I got the following
error window as XP tries to install 'new hardware' via its 'wizard':

CANNOT INSTALL THIS HARDWARE

THERE WAS A PROBLEM INSTALLING THIS HARDWARE

UMAX ASTRA 6400 IEEE1394 SBP2 DEVICE

AN ERROR OCCURRED DURING INSTALLATION OF THIS DEVICE

THE CLASS INSTALLER HAS DENIED THE REQUEST TO INSTALL
OR UPGRADE THIS DEVICE

CLICK FINISH TO CLOSE THE WIZARD

So here I sit - stuck.

FYI - The Umax support site says this which I think is real cute:

VistaScan 3.72
This software IS NOT downloadable.
Available on CD-ROM only.
This product is non-returnable and non-refundable.
Read More Buy Now

File Size:
72.7 MB
Updated:
10/03/2000
CD-ROM Version:
Astra Scanners Version 3.72 Rev. 0

Thanks

Jethro

Old July 7th 06, 04:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.scanner
CSM1

"Jethro" wrote in message
On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 04:12:10 GMT, "CSM1"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Umax is not the only manufacturer that does that.
Most charge $10 to ship the CD.

The bad thing there is the fact that Windows XP did not exist until 2001.
That CD is old software.

Thanks

Jethro

You are not using a User account are you?

You must be Administer.

And are you sure that the Firewire card is installed correctly?
Maybe the scanner is defective.

Did you get a Windows XP warning about the software not being signed? If you
do click "Continue Anyway".

At least you got a response that the computer knew the scanner existed.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old July 7th 06, 04:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Jethro

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 15:05:31 GMT, "CSM1"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

NO

You must be Administer.

Yes

And are you sure that the Firewire card is installed correctly?

Yes

Maybe the scanner is defective.

Possible (probable)

Did you get a Windows XP warning about the software not being signed? If you
do click "Continue Anyway".

Yes - Yes

At least you got a response that the computer knew the scanner existed.

Yes

-

Thanks\\Jethro
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

FA: UMAX Astra 1200S Flatbed Scanner JohnC Scanners 1 April 28th 05 04:08 PM
Mustek 1200 III EP undetectable in any image program Raymond A. Chamberlin Scanners 18 January 10th 05 08:52 AM
UMAX scanner locked Ampersand Scanners 9 January 16th 04 06:11 PM
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe: Warning, onboard Firewire may have fried my components, details inside... Z Man Asus Motherboards 9 December 11th 03 03:34 PM
UMAX Astra 1220 U question Kate Lambert Scanners 1 October 14th 03 03:37 PM