4x6 printers

Old February 23rd 04, 08:34 PM
Kenneth Oakman

Default 4x6 printers

Im looking for recomendations for printers that take compact flash
and smart media (xd cards a plus) or connect to cameras (olympus) to
print 4x6 copies when away from a computer.

I know HP makes a plain paper/photo paper one, but havent seen a
sample if its print. I have seen some dye sub printers, similar to the
Olympus P-200 but I believe that only prints 3x5 output.

Are there any such printers, how do prints look? The HP I recently
saw does not let you see what you are printing unless you print out a
contact sheet with all the images on it and select by number. This would
seem to use lots of ink and paper. Are there any printers that let you see
the image even if in monochrome before you print and maybe crop or adjust?

Has anybody used printers like the kodak/olympus p/400? Can you
print multiple 4x6 or 5x7 prints on the standard sheets they use?

Thanks, please reply to

Old February 23rd 04, 09:05 PM
Larry

In article Pine.WNT.4.58.0402231132540.2704
@brooklyn_tc.nebula.washington.edu, says...

[...]

Sony has the DPP-EX7 which prints up to 4x6 DYE SUBLIMATION.

Prints end up costing about 55 cents (US) each if you buy the 75 pack
of paper/ribbon.

More expensive than going to Wal-Mart for prints, unless you include
the gas (if you ONLY went for prints you should include the gas if
its more than a mile or two)

I'm kind of a skinflint so I track EVERY penny.

The Sony is NOT CHEAP (299 US) last time I looked, but I like it and
I try to keep at least a 25 pack of paper/ribbon on hand at all
times.

The Sony has an lcd monitor built into the top that flips up and
allows you to see, edit, rotate, and enhance you pictures directly
from the memory chip from the camera.
It has a memory stick slot and a pc-card slot, and I picked up a PC-
Card adaptor that lets it read sd/mm/smartmedia/et al.

Sometimes you might want to print when you cant get to Wal-Mart or
some other photo center.

The prints are nearly indestructable, impervious to spilled
coffee/water/milk/Pepsi et al, as long as you wipe 'em off right
away.

The printer coats them with clear plastic.

The print quality is excellent.

Kodak also sells one called the "Printer Dock 6000" which prints from
computer using USB connection, or straight from some of the Kodak
cameras.

They also have another model but Im not familiar with it and the on-
line listing doesn't say whether it has a USB connection for
computer. Both of the Kodaks are selling for around $199.00

Both of these Kodak units print up to 4x6 inch dye sub prints. Cost
for the print packs is a little higher than the Sony if you go by the
recommended retail (29.99 for 40 prints) but I have seen the print
packs for them on sale at Wal-Mart/Staples/Office Max/Sears. All of
those places have sold the print packs for half price or even less
from time to time. NOBODY EVER to my knowledge discounts the Sony
print packs except for Sonys on line store.

Olympus has a dye sub printer that prints up to 8x10, but the page
cost is over a dollar per page IF you can find the paper/ribbon.

The little HP Photosmart printers use only 3 colors and do a fair
job, but they are slow, and clunky.

All of the dye sub printers I mentioned also only use 3 colors (plus
clear plastic overcoat) but their BLACKS are VERY black unlike the
inkjets that do it with 3 colors.

As a side note, Im pretty sure the Kodaks are using the same printer
engine as the sony printer.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Old February 23rd 04, 10:40 PM
Lucas Tam

Larry wrote in news:MPG.1aa427272356aa149896e3
@news.comcast.giganews.com:

Prints end up costing about 55 cents (US) each if you buy the 75 pack
of paper/ribbon.

More expensive than going to Wal-Mart for prints, unless you include
the gas (if you ONLY went for prints you should include the gas if
its more than a mile or two)

Doesn't it cost gas to goto your local staples to pick up the paper ; )

--
Lucas Tam )
Old February 24th 04, 01:51 AM
Amishman35

Doesn't it cost gas to goto your local staples to pick up the paper ;

I am 22 and I live with my parents. I have a Wal-Mart shopping card. I have 2
choices, upload a photo on walmart.com and pay 25 cents for a printout and take
a 5 hour walk to pick them up, or pay 55 cents for a dye-sublimation print of
equal quality and have it in my hands right now. I can get the photo paper on
the once or twice a month ride I get from my parents.

And I like copyrighted pictures, so try explaining to someone at Wal-Mart why
you want photos of Saruman and Gandalf printed on high-quality paper.
Old February 24th 04, 03:13 AM
Safetymom123

Look on the Epson web site for the Picture Mate.
PICTUREMATET BY EPSON ELIMINATES

THE BARRIERS TO DIGITAL PHOTO PRINTING

First and Only Personal Photo Lab Enables Consumers to Produce Photos with
Quality, Durability and Cost Benefits of Traditional Photo Lab Prints in the
Convenience of Home

LONG BEACH, Calif., February 9, 2004 ? Addressing all of the barriers that
digital camera owners have had with printing their photos, Epson today
introduces PictureMateT, the first and only personal photo lab that allows
digital camera owners to easily print brilliant, long-lasting lab-quality 4"
x 6" photos at home at a cost that is comparable to some of the most
affordable lab print prices. This breakthrough is made possible by Epson's
exclusive archival print technology for photos that are indistinguishable
from traditional lab prints and last even longer.

With an estimated 33 million households owning digital cameras at the close
of 2003, more people are taking digital photos to preserve their memories.1
According to the Photo Marketing Association International (PMA) Digital
Imaging Survey, the majority of these owners would like to print more photos
at home but feel the prints they are making don't look as good as lab
prints. The survey also indicates that owners believe 4" x 6" printing at
home is difficult, too time-consuming, and cost-prohibitive.

Epson, the brand that professional photographers prefer 4-to-1 over any
other printer brand, specifically designed PictureMate to break down the
photo printing barriers for the amateur digital camera consumer. Now even
non-technical consumers can very easily print beautiful borderless,
lab-quality 4" x 6" photos for only 29 cents per print on average ?
comparable to the most affordable photo labs and about half the cost of
prints from other 4" x 6" dedicated photo printers.2 Epson's innovative
archival 6-color pigment printing technology ensures photos are as stunning
and durable as professional prints so memories will last for generations.

As a result, all digital camera owners will soon have the ideal printing
solution for sharing their memories of everything from holidays and
vacations to a baby's first birthday party, without any compromises and in
the convenience of their own homes.

"As with film cameras and now with digital cameras, men and women evenly
share the picture taking responsibility, but studies indicate women
generally are more interested in sharing and preserving those memories in
print," said Fabia Ochoa, group product manager, Photo Imaging, Epson.
"Women, therefore, are typically the Chief Memory OfficerT of the home. I
happen to be one of them. However, digital camera owners told us they feel
their home printers aren't meeting their basic photo printing needs. Yet
they also feel that alternative solutions - such as the photo lab, photo
kiosks or online photo services - are not as appealing as printing at home.
Addressing the needs of ease, quality, durability and affordability,
PictureMate becomes the Chief Memory Officer's ideal photo printing
appliance for preserving and sharing memories." Convenient Print Pack
Because saving time is a priority for the primary PictureMate customer,
Epson is also introducing the PictureMate Print Pack. This economical and
convenient combo-pack contains a PictureMate Photo Cartridge and PictureMate
Photo Paper to print about 100 glossy 4" x 6" photos. "The PictureMate Print
Pack eliminates the guesswork of trying to predict when to stock up on more
paper or ink," Ochoa said. PictureMate Product Overview PictureMate was
optimally designed as a printing accessory for any digital camera. No
computer is required since it supports all popular memory cards, including
SDT memory card/MultiMediaCardT, Memory Stick®, Compact FlashT type I and
II, SmartMediaT, Secure Digital, MMC, xD and Microdrive. It also supports
direct printing from PictBridge cameras. In addition, popular digital camera
technologies, such as PRINT Image Matching (P.I.M.), Exif Print and DPOF,
are automatically supported. Additional features include: . Brilliant,
Lab-Quality Photos ? PictureMate uses Epson's exclusive, archival 6-color
pigment printing for rich colors, perfect skin tones and smoothest images
that match the look and feel of traditional photo lab prints ? a first of
any 4" x 6" photo printer. It also features up to 5760 x 1440 optimized dpi,
for the sharpest details. . Print Options ? The intuitive PictureMate "Print
Wizard" interface guides consumers through a simple one-touch printing
process. A printed proof sheet lets the consumer preview pictures to print
beautiful glossy borderless 4"x 6" photos. Print selection options allow for
printing all photos, just one photo, a range of photos, or several
non-sequential photos from the camera memory card. PictureMate automatically
optimizes each photo for color and quality and allows users to print their
color photos in black and white or sepia tones. Cropping photos, adding
classic borders and making wallet-sized photos are also a snap, even without
a computer. . Long-Lasting ? PictureMate prints are truly superior to photo
lab prints and those from other 4" x 6" home photo printers. They resist
fading about two to four times longer than the leading brands of photo lab
prints and about four to 20 times longer than prints from other dedicated 4"
x 6" photo printers. PictureMate photos resist fading or yellowing for
approximately 200 years in a photo album and up to 100 years displayed in a
frame. 3 PictureMate prints are also water-, smudge- and
fingerprint-resistant for worry-free handling. . Saving Images ? Not only is
printing easy with PictureMate, but archiving photo collections is, too.
Without a PC, and with just one button, PictureMate enables users to
automatically back up digital images from the camera memory card directly to
externally-connected devices, including CD-R, Zip or thumb drives. .
Wireless Direct Printing ? With the optional Epson Bluetooth Photo Print
Adapter, PictureMate features wireless photo-printing capabilities from PDAs
and digital camera cell phones. . Portability ? PictureMate's compact size
and handle are designed to fit the lifestyle of today's Chief Memory
Officer. It can easily be used on the kitchen counter, on the dining room
table with family, or even taken along to a scrapbooking party with friends.
Pricing and Availability The PictureMate personal photo lab and PictureMate
Print Packs will be available in summer 2004 for an estimated retail price
of $199 and $29, respectively. PictureMate comes with a one-year limited
warranty in the United States and Canada with Epson Exchange Warranty. More
information is available at www.MyPictureMate.com. About Epson Epson offers
an extensive array of award-winning image capture and image output products
for the consumer, business, photography and graphic arts markets. The
company is also a leading supplier of value-added point-of-sale (POS)
printers and transaction terminals for the retail market. Founded in 1975,
Epson America Inc. is the U.S. affiliate of Japan-based Seiko Epson
Corporation, a global manufacturer and supplier of high-quality technology
products that meet customer demands for increased functionality,
compactness, systems integration and energy efficiency. Epson America Inc.
is headquartered in Long Beach, Calif. ### Note: PictureMate is a trademark
of Seiko Epson Corporation and Chief Memory Officer is a trademark of Epson
America Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective
companies. Epson disclaims any rights in those marks. 1 PMA Camera/Camcorder
and Digital Imaging Survey, June 2003 2 Based on estimated average use
conditions. Actual yields will vary based on images, color balance,
environmental conditions, and frequency of use. 3 Using the PictureMate
cartridge and PictureMate paper, prints are predicted to last up to 200
years in archival sleeves in album storage and up to 100 years in a glass
frame in indoor display conditions. See Wilhelm-research.com for test
conditions. Actual print stability will vary according to image and storage
or display conditions. Epson does not guarantee the longevity of prints.

news:Pine.WNT.4.58.0402231132540.2704@brooklyn_tc. nebula.washington.edu...

Old February 24th 04, 08:08 AM
James Akiyama

Another choice is the Canon CP-200 or CP-300. These printers work through
USB and support PictBridge. If your camera supports PictBridge, you can
directly print from the camera to the printer.

Alternately, the Sony DPP-EX7 is probably your best bet.

James

Old February 24th 04, 10:46 AM
FredBillie

Date: Mon, Feb 23, 2004 1:34 PM

[...]

BRBR

At only 40 cents a sheet you may find it hard to beat the dye-sub 4X6 printers
available at:

http://www.hitishop.com/index.html

Also, it is my understanding the Canon CP-200/300 series prints a full 4X6 and
the 300 version is even battery powered, but their prints are going to be
closer to 55 cents per. The small HP printer is not bad but can’t hold a
candle to the larger 6 color printers or the small dye-sub version and I
didn’t like what appeared, to me, to be a slight orange cast.

Canon also makes a VERY compact printer that can print up to 8.5X11 inches and
runs about $250. Forgot the model number but most stores carry it.

You want cheaper printing costs in a dye-sub, then get the HiTouch model from
the WEB site above. If you want REALLY small and compact, you might want to try
the Canon CP-200/300 series. Best Buy and CompUSA carry the CP-200 at about
$180-.
Old February 29th 04, 11:37 PM
Bob Headrick

"Kenneth Oakman" wrote in message
news:Pine.WNT.4.58.0402231132540.2704@brooklyn_tc. nebula.washington.edu...

Im looking for recomendations for printers that take compact flash
and smart media (xd cards a plus) or connect to cameras (olympus) to
print 4x6 copies when away from a computer.

I know HP makes a plain paper/photo paper one, but havent seen a
sample if its print. I have seen some dye sub printers, similar to the
Olympus P-200 but I believe that only prints 3x5 output.

Are there any such printers, how do prints look? The HP I recently
saw does not let you see what you are printing unless you print out a
contact sheet with all the images on it and select by number. This would
seem to use lots of ink and paper. Are there any printers that let you see
the image even if in monochrome before you print and maybe crop or adjust?

The HP Photosmart 245 allows you to view, zoom and crop from the display before
printing. Spec's are available at:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...27-305328.html

This printer supports xD cards as well as most other digital camera card
formats.

Regards,

4-color vs more-color printers Scott Cameron Printers 16 January 20th 04 09:53 PM
deskjet 845 C ink Pascal Printers 2 November 17th 03 10:16 AM
Phaser printers and LED printers Dwight Huffman Printers 10 November 2nd 03 08:43 PM
Phaser printers and LED printers Dwight Huffman Printers 0 October 30th 03 04:47 AM
Access control for Lexmark printers Wayne Ware Printers 0 June 27th 03 01:34 AM