BFG 8800 fan

Old June 19th 07, 09:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil_C

Default BFG 8800 fan

Hello All
I have a BFG 8800 GTS OC 640mb video card in the top PCI-e slot. Then
in the next PCI -e slot I have an Adaptec RAID card. The problem is
the close proximity of the two cards is pushing the Adaptec card over
temp. I don't know what temp the video card is running at as I cannot
find out how to check the temp. Checking the rear vent on the video
card there appears to be only a very small amount of air flow. Should
there be a lot of air flow through this vent?

Regards

Phil

Old June 19th 07, 10:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Phil_C wrote:
Hello All
I have a BFG 8800 GTS OC 640mb video card in the top PCI-e slot. Then
in the next PCI -e slot I have an Adaptec RAID card. The problem is
the close proximity of the two cards is pushing the Adaptec card over
temp. I don't know what temp the video card is running at as I cannot
find out how to check the temp. Checking the rear vent on the video
card there appears to be only a very small amount of air flow. Should
there be a lot of air flow through this vent?

Regards

Phil

In this sample photo, there are exhaust vents inside the case, as
well as on the faceplate. Which means not all the hot air gets
to leave through the faceplate. (And no, I'm not going to recommend
placing tape in an obvious spot, to stop it. You don't know if there
is sufficient vent space, for the cooler to work properly, if
you block part of it :-) )

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggIma...143-081-02.jpg

If you want an aftermarket cooler, there is something like this. The
fins and fan are placed on the opposite side of the card, which would
prevent waste heat from hitting your Adaptec card.

http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/m..._hr03_plus.htm
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=624&p=2

Chances are, there are other metal assemblies between the CPU socket
and the video card, which will prevent the use of the HR03_plus. Like
if you were using a Tuniq Tower on the CPU, there might not be much
space left for the HR03_plus.

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggIma...154-001-03.jpg

Alternately, a water block, and water cooling, is another way to pull
the heat from the case (especially if the radiator is mounted outside
the case). This shows a video card with water block installed at
the factory.

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggIma...143-099-03.jpg

You don't mention what motherboard you are using. Is this an SLI
motherboard, with more than one video slot ? Can you reposition
the cards, so the 8800 cannot roast its nearest neighbor ? It
would help a lot to know what the layout of the motherboard
looks like, and which slots have stuff in them.

Paul
Old June 19th 07, 11:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil_C

http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/m...php?id=624&p=2

[...]

Hello Paul
Thanks for the reply. I have an Intel D975XBX2 which has the following
ports in order from top to bottom.
PCI-e x 16 (x16 slot) - 8800
PCI - 8800 heat sink and cooler
PCI-e x 8 (x16 slot) - RAID
PCI - Sound Card
PCI-e x 4 (x16 slot) - Empty
PCI - TV Card

I am not sure if it is SLI capable or not but either way I have no
intentions of running SLI. Due to the three different speeds of the
PCI-e slots I cannot move cards around with out losing performance.

I have been doing some research and it appears the BFG Tech nForce
680i SLI has three x 16 PCI-e slots, two rated at x16 and one at x8
which will allow the RAID card to be moved away from the 8800. It will
also leave an empty slot below the 8800 card.

Regards

Phil

Old June 19th 07, 12:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Phil_C wrote:
On Jun 19, 7:48 pm, Paul wrote:
Phil_C wrote:
[...]

PCI Express is 250MB/sec bidirectional per lane. Placing the RAID card
in the x4 slot, gives a max 1GB/sec speed. Do you have enough disks to
hit that limit ? The x4 interface is on the Southbridge, so the DMI
bus between Northbridge and Southbridge, is the limiting factor.
DMI is also rated at 1GB/sec bidirectional, just enough to pass all
the PCI Express x4 bandwidth to the Northbridge. Simultaneous access
to Southbridge high bandwidth devices, would compete for bandwidth,
with the PCI Express x4 slot of the BadAxe2. Still, moving the RAID
card down to that slot, is a quick fix, and you might not even notice
the difference.

Come to think of it, with the bifurcated (Intel's term, not mine)
PCI Express interface on the Northbridge, you could well be getting x8
for the upper slot and x8 for the next slot down. There should be no
difference between...

PCI-e x 8 (x16 slot) - 8800 Original config
PCI - 8800 heat sink and cooler
PCI-e x 8 (x16 slot) - RAID
PCI - Sound Card
PCI-e x 4 (x16 slot) - Empty
PCI - TV Card

and

PCI-e x 8 (x16 slot) - RAID
PCI - Sound Card
PCI-e x 8 (x16 slot) - 8800
PCI - 8800 heat sink and cooler
PCI-e x 4 (x16 slot) - Empty
PCI - TV Card

With the second config, maybe you could fit a "slot cooler" in the
x4 slot ? I hope the intake on this thing, is on the correct side.

The Northbridge has a total of x16 lanes internally. There are x24
lanes of wires on the outside of the chip. Internal multiplexing,
steers the x16 of lanes, to the x24 wires, as directed by the BIOS.
That is how you get x16 in the primary slot, when the secondary is
not being used, and how the primary and secondary each get x8 when
both slots are being used. (That steering was originally done with
"paddle cards" on the first SLI designs, and later via external
high speed PCI Express buffer/mux chips. The Intel design moves the
buffering inside the Northbridge.)

Now, some BIOS are sensitive to which slot gets the graphics
card, so you can never be sure it'll work until you try it.
(Some Asus boards started life, not even being able to accept
a RAID card in the second video card slot.)

Paul