Sony Vaio Laptop keeps overheating

Old July 16th 06, 04:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DJGezza

Default Sony Vaio Laptop keeps overheating

Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop (PCG-FR415M) which quite often shuts down
after an hour or so useage. I'm assuming this is due to overheating
because it always feels very hot and the shutting down occurs more
frequently on hotter days. The fan is running OK and always starts
up within a few moments of booting up from cold after which it seems
to run at full speed all the time the laptop is in use. I have
checked the air vents are clear and have found that liftting the
laptop slightly off the surface helps a bit because the fan is
underneath. However it still sometimes shuts down.

Any ideas?

Many thanks... :crybaby:

Old July 16th 06, 05:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Lez Pawl

"DJGezza" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop (PCG-FR415M) which quite often shuts down
after an hour or so useage. I'm assuming this is due to overheating
because it always feels very hot and the shutting down occurs more
frequently on hotter days. The fan is running OK and always starts
up within a few moments of booting up from cold after which it seems
to run at full speed all the time the laptop is in use. I have
checked the air vents are clear and have found that liftting the
laptop slightly off the surface helps a bit because the fan is
underneath. However it still sometimes shuts down.

Any ideas?

Many thanks... :crybaby:

you could sit it on a laptop/notebook cooler........

typ http://www.pcabusers.com/reviews/ant...kcooler/p1.htm

Old July 16th 06, 06:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jan Alter

"Lez Pawl" wrote in message

"DJGezza" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop (PCG-FR415M) which quite often shuts down
after an hour or so useage. I'm assuming this is due to overheating
because it always feels very hot and the shutting down occurs more
frequently on hotter days. The fan is running OK and always starts
up within a few moments of booting up from cold after which it seems
to run at full speed all the time the laptop is in use. I have
checked the air vents are clear and have found that liftting the
laptop slightly off the surface helps a bit because the fan is
underneath. However it still sometimes shuts down.

Any ideas?

Many thanks... :crybaby:

you could sit it on a laptop/notebook cooler........

typ http://www.pcabusers.com/reviews/ant...kcooler/p1.htm

If this laptop is more than a year old I would investigate the fan itself to
clear it of any dust build up. Additionally there may be another fan that
needs cleaning as well.

--
Jan Alter

or