EMC Centera and backup

Old January 30th 07, 05:19 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
[email protected]

Default EMC Centera and backup

Hi,
When I back data up from an EMC Centera system, is the data on tape
also optimized using the content addressing scheme?

Dvy

Old February 1st 07, 05:12 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
[email protected]

Dvy,

First, I'm assuming that you are referring to 'optimization' - as the
blob - de-duping / single instance storage right?

Inside the Centera - lot's of misunderstanding about what is de-duped
and what isn't.
CDFs are never duplicated.

Blobs even though the same, are stored in Centera as duplicates if -
they are embedded in a CDF, or the naming scheme used is anything
other than M or M++. GM naming kinda does sometimes - depending on
parameters. Lot's of machines - configed so that de-duping doesn't
occur.

If the app does anything with the blob - it can mess up de-dupe.
(i.e. Legato EX and Symantec EV put data into a container, and even
though objects in the container are the same - Centera can't de-dupe
them.

All that being said, and assuming that you've got dupe data in the
Centera, that has been de-duped by the Centera - when it goes to tape,
with either of the EMC tools for backing up a Centera (CASBAR or
CBRM), your data will be re-populated. That is any effect of de-
duping is removed.

At StorageSwitch, we have some tools for BU of a Centera, that are
currently in test, that will give you the option of maintaining the de-
dupe, or not. Feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions
clark @ storageswitch . com.

Old February 1st 07, 07:26 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
[email protected]

On Jan 30, 9:19 am, wrote:

Hi,
When I back data up from an EMC Centera system, is the data on tape
also optimized using the content addressing scheme?

Dvy

Thankyou. How about on the NetApp NearStor platform? How well does
it perform De-Dup? And will files that I backup from it via my Media
Server to tape also be optimized?

Dvy

Old February 2nd 07, 12:43 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
[email protected]

On Jan 30, 9:19 am, wrote:

Hi,
When I back data up from an EMC Centera system, is the data on tape
also optimized using the content addressing scheme?

Dvy

Thankyou. How about on the NetApp NearStor platform? How well does
it perform De-Dup? And will files that I backup from it via my Media
Server to tape also be optimized?

Dvy

You bet,

I don't know about de-dupe in NetApp product. Heard about the
capability last week, but haven't seen anything on it yet. Unless the
backup app has a 'backdoor' into the NearStor, I would presume that it
will not be able to maintain the de-duplication in the backups.

Gimme a yell if you go the Centera route. I have a lot of experience
there. 303.859.3321.

...clark