"Windows 7 computers won’t receive security updates without antivirus scanner"

Old March 2nd 18, 04:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Default "Windows 7 computers won’t receive security updates without antivirus scanner"

"Windows 7 computers won’t receive security updates without antivirus
scanner"

https://www.myce.com/news/windows-7-...scanner-83815/

"Windows 7 computers without an antivirus scanner won’t receive the
latest security updates automatically. These systems won’t receive the
security updates of January and February which also means they are not
protected against Spectre and Meltdown based attacks."

This is getting more and more complicated.

Lynn
Old March 2nd 18, 07:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Windows 7 computers won’t receive security updates without antivirus
scanner"

https://www.myce.com/news/windows-7-...scanner-83815/

"Windows 7 computers without an antivirus scanner won’t receive the
latest security updates automatically. These systems won’t receive the
security updates of January and February which also means they are not
protected against Spectre and Meltdown based attacks."

This is getting more and more complicated.

Lynn

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/...virus-software

"More information

Windows Defender Antivirus, System Center Endpoint Protection, and
Microsoft Security Essentials are compatible with the 2018 Windows
security updates and have set the required registry key.
"

That says MSE has been setting this for itself.

Paul
Old March 2nd 18, 12:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Paul wrote:

Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Windows 7 computers won¢t receive security updates without antivirus
scanner"

https://www.myce.com/news/windows-7-...scanner-83815/

"Windows 7 computers without an antivirus scanner won¢t receive the
latest security updates automatically. These systems won¢t receive the
security updates of January and February which also means they are not
protected against Spectre and Meltdown based attacks."

This is getting more and more complicated.

Lynn

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/...virus-software

"More information

Windows Defender Antivirus, System Center Endpoint Protection, and
Microsoft Security Essentials are compatible with the 2018 Windows
security updates and have set the required registry key.
"

That says MSE has been setting this for itself.

The large anti-virus vendors already add this key - *if* they are
compatible with the Meltdown patch. I had Avast. It already added the
registry key. I was triggered to check when a proposed Windows update
mentioned the AV requirement (well, actually this registry key but the
idea is that AV software shouldn't set this unless they are compatible).

Don't know if it was this one but here is an example where MS tells you
about AV, compatibility, and this registry key:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...virus-software
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...date-kb4056897

Another article mentioning the same requirement:

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...ing-to-it.html

That has a link to a table of AV products that supposedly support the
Meltdown patch and set the registry key. The table is at:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...L42FQ/htmlview

Not all AVs are listed. The crappy ones are missing, like ClamAV.
Comodo's AV (CAV) is also missing because it was always crappy, never
released as a non-alpha version by itself, and instead merged into their
Internet Suite product so they could steal the HIPS feature from their
firewall. Just dump CAV. If your choice of AV is not listed, either
check that the AV added the registry key (don't just add it yourself
since that means the AV may cause hangs and BSODs with the new Windows
security updates) or check if the AV vendor on compatibility.
Old March 3rd 18, 08:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Paul wrote:
Lynn McGuire wrote:
[...]

I have a followup for this rather oblique Microsoft statement.

I did a test today, it took a few hours, and noticed something.

1) Windows 7 comes with MSE. Probably turned on by default.
That was certainly my working assumption.

2) Installed 2017-12 Cumulative, and Windows Update refuses to detect
2018-01 or 2018-02 Cumulatives (the Spectre/Meltdown kind).

3) I check Regedit, no QualityCompat. I figured before, that Microsoft
probably doesn't use the same setting as the third-party players,
but now I'm beginning to wonder if there's more to it.

4) I discover the following link, while looking for "MSE Definitions"
or something.

I was looking for Definitions, as I was going to chuck in a set
just for fun. This item is more than definitions though. It appears to be
code, and it adds a little Notification animation, which suggests
I got new code from this installer thing.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...tials-download

Note: Be careful with that! It will change your Windows Update settings
from "Never Update" to "Go Right Ahead No Matter What The User Wanted".
I was wondering why the Quick Scan that MSE does at a time like this
was running so slow, then I see the Windows Update tag-team services
railed, as they try to sneak in an update before I catch them at it.

Check your Windows Update setting before wandering away.

5) Now I fire up Regedit, and what do you know, there is now a
QualityCompat registry setting that the *new* MSE installed.

6) When I go back to Windows Update and check for updates,
the 2018-02 Cumulative shows up.

*******

The situation isn't really complicated, but damn, wouldn't it
be nice if they explained it some place conspicuous ? You need
a *new* MSE to get the updates in question.

HTH,
Paul
Old March 4th 18, 04:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 21:06:50 -0600, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

"Windows 7 computers won’t receive security updates without antivirus
scanner"

https://www.myce.com/news/windows-7-...scanner-83815/

"Windows 7 computers without an antivirus scanner won’t receive the
latest security updates automatically. These systems won’t receive the
security updates of January and February which also means they are not
protected against Spectre and Meltdown based attacks."

This is getting more and more complicated.

Lynn

The intent is not to block those who don't have AV, but to block those
whose AV isn't compatible with the patches.
Old March 4th 18, 04:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

On Sat, 03 Mar 2018 02:47:56 -0500, Paul
wrote:

I was looking for Definitions, as I was going to chuck in a set
just for fun. This item is more than definitions though. It appears to be
code, and it adds a little Notification animation, which suggests
I got new code from this installer thing.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...tials-download

Note: Be careful with that! It will change your Windows Update settings
from "Never Update" to "Go Right Ahead No Matter What The User Wanted".
I was wondering why the Quick Scan that MSE does at a time like this
was running so slow, then I see the Windows Update tag-team services
railed, as they try to sneak in an update before I catch them at it.

Check your Windows Update setting before wandering away.

Microsoft is scum.

1) There are legitimate reasons for never-update: You're in a
location where you're paying a lot for bandwidth. Otherwise it's a
head-in-sand approach.

2) Ignore the user is not acceptable, either. While it's fine for
light users who leave their machines on at night how many people does
that describe? The sort of user that leaves nothing running at night
generally will turn it off!

Download and install when the user says so should be the normal
option. They also install on shutdown unless you override it so the
updates will normally get installed.
Old March 11th 18, 12:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 11:12:27 AM UTC+8, Loren Pechtel wrote:

The intent is not to block those who don't have AV, but to block those
whose AV isn't compatible with the patches.

Only have one Win10 PC (my wife's actually). It downloads updates then
complains that AVIRA must be deleted.
She used to have AVIRA ages ago, and uninstalled it. It doesn't show up in
list of programs.
So stupid Windoze is detecting some fragment that AVIRA didn't wipe completely.
AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!