CPU Test Failed - ASUS P4C800

Old February 8th 04, 01:18 AM

Default CPU Test Failed - ASUS P4C800

Well this is driving me nuts - and help may get you into heaven...

I purchased a new ASUS P4C800 board and a 2.8 MHZ Intel chip. So I hook
everthing up and I continue to get CPU test failed problem. Beats me - I
do not want to purchase new power supplies or a new Motherboard. Anyone
else run into this?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Old February 8th 04, 01:19 AM
Anon

mark25a wrote in message
link.net...
Well this is driving me nuts - and help may get you into heaven...

I purchased a new ASUS P4C800 board and a 2.8 MHZ Intel chip. So I hook
everthing up and I continue to get CPU test failed problem. Beats me - I
do not want to purchase new power supplies or a new Motherboard. Anyone
else run into this?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Three things to check . . .

Review ALL BIOS settings related to CPU or memory settings. Also check any
jumpers or dip switches present on the mainboard to see if they relate to
the CPU or RAM. If no problems noted . . .

Unplug the computer from the wall. Carefully remove the CPU from the socket
and then reinsert it. It might just be loose in the socket. Be sure that
the heatsink/fan is properly installed after doing this.

Also (if the above doesn't help) unplug the computer from the wall again and
clear CMOS. There should be a jumper on the mainboard for you to close to
clear the CMOS (check the manual). If you close a jumper to clear the CMOS,
leave the jumper connected for a few minutes before removing it.

I know you said you don't want to buy a new power supply, but a CPU alone
can use about 1/4th the safe load of a power supply (not to be confused with
maximum output power). So it should be easy to understand how upgrading a
processor could up the power requirements of a PC just a bit further than an
old power supply can handle reliably. That would easily explain CPU test
errors. -Dave

Old February 8th 04, 01:47 PM

Thanks Dave - and sorry for top posting.

I have reseated the CPU twice and my next step is to purchase a new power
supply. However I doubt that is the problem. Lots of chat on various
newsboards about this problems with ASUS boards.

I am not familiar with how to do a BIOS upgrade if I can not get past this
"CPU TEST FAILED" thing but some have suggested this approach....

Thanks for taking the time to reply...

"Anon" wrote in message
s.com...

link.net...

Old February 8th 04, 02:42 PM
Stevie Boy

I have reseated the CPU twice and my next step is to purchase a new power
supply. However I doubt that is the problem. Lots of chat on various
newsboards about this problems with ASUS boards.

------------------------

Since you seem to have another pc up and running to post these messages why
dont you before emptying your pockets try the psu in this unit? Or even swap
cpu's if possible.

Steve

Old February 8th 04, 10:23 PM
Glenn M

Don't the P4 use a power supply that has a special connector on
it...could it be you are using a power supply that it not P4 ready and
lacks the connector for the P4 motherboard ?
Good Luck
Glenn M
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 01:18:58 GMT, wrote:

Well this is driving me nuts - and help may get you into heaven...

I purchased a new ASUS P4C800 board and a 2.8 MHZ Intel chip. So I hook
everthing up and I continue to get CPU test failed problem. Beats me - I
do not want to purchase new power supplies or a new Motherboard. Anyone
else run into this?

Thanks in advance for any help...

A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd
Old February 9th 04, 06:31 PM

"Stevie Boy" wrote in message

I have reseated the CPU twice and my next step is to purchase a new

power
supply. However I doubt that is the problem. Lots of chat on various
newsboards about this problems with ASUS boards.

------------------------

Since you seem to have another pc up and running to post these messages

why
dont you before emptying your pockets try the psu in this unit? Or even

swap
cpu's if possible.

Steve

thanks for the reply but.... I am posting from my portable. I did purchase
a new power supply and no luck. Spoke to ASUS and they said - take the MB
out and put on phone book and try again (shorts situation) or reset the
memory or reset the bios...

Old February 13th 04, 12:07 AM

Let me reply to my own post as I found the problem - and maybe this will
help others. First - unplug completely. Next remove the CMOS battery -
then reset the pins (CLRCT) and - it worked. Seems this board is very
fussy and needs to be cleaned out. Hope this helps someone...

link.net...