legend 402

Old June 14th 08, 07:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
AWM

Default legend 402

I picked up a legend 402cdw that still has the original HD (500MB) working.
It is an 75MGHz. Is this the actual speed or is it more like 66. Does anyone
know of any tricks to remove nicotine stains? This one obviously had an ash
tray on one side of the computer.If anyone has any spare 32 MB edo's I could
use 4.
thanks
mc

Old June 14th 08, 10:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
philo

"AWM" wrote in message
I picked up a legend 402cdw that still has the original HD (500MB)

working.
It is an 75MGHz. Is this the actual speed or is it more like 66. Does

anyone
know of any tricks to remove nicotine stains? This one obviously had an

ash
tray on one side of the computer.If anyone has any spare 32 MB edo's I

could
use 4.
thanks
mc

The cpu is 75 mhz.
If the machine has win95 on it 16 -32megs of RAM will probably be enough...
(My original win95 machine did fairly well with just 8 megs of ram)

I use just plain rubbing alcohol to clean cases that are stained.

Old June 14th 08, 10:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Hi mc !

"AWM" wrote in message
I picked up a legend 402cdw that still has the original HD (500MB) working.
It is an 75MGHz. Is this the actual speed or is it more like 66.

"back in the day" Intel released some CPU's running at a FSB ( front side
bus ) of 50Mhz. Your 75MHz CPU runs at a FSB of 50MHz X 1.5 = 75MHz.

The "normal" FSB for Socket 5 and 7 ( and even Socket 4 ) CPU's was 60 or
66MHz FSB. Cyrix made some CPU's that would run at 75MHz, and after that
there was Super Socket 7 running at 100MHz.

Some motherboards offered lots of tinkering, with FSB speeds of 50, 60, 66,
75, 83, 100, 105, 112, 133, etc, and even some numbers in between.

I have never seen a 75MHz CPU that would not run at 60 or 66MHz. Intel
probably made some "dud" CPU's that didn't pass testing, so they sold them
to run at 50MHz bus speed. Also, these were sold as "value" machines,
offering Pentium power for cheap, back in the day.

( My very first computer was a Compudyne 75MHz machine. Bought it new. Still
have it. )

I would change the jumpers out, and run it at 100MHz, see what happens. Or
failing that, locate a 133MHz CPU and shove that in there. Or ever better, a
200MHz Overdrive CPU. Best you're going to do, unless you find a 400MHz
Evergreen kit, and update the BIOS.

Does anyone
know of any tricks to remove nicotine stains? This one obviously had an
ash tray on one side of the computer.

A lot of older computers seem to "yellow up" worse than others. I have some
PB machines that will not clean up. It's probably not nicotine, but could
be.

I have computer cases that yellowed up, sitting on a shelf, wrapped in
plastic, that never got sun on them. Go figure.

I have never found anything that will return the case to the color it should
be. And I have TRIED.

bobwatts

--
boBWatts®©
EartH

Old June 15th 08, 12:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

I still have some 32MB 72-pin EDO SIMMs, and also a 133MHz Pentium or two. This
stuff is not worth too much any more, but if you want to contact me off-line and
pay a few bucks to PayPal, I can send them out. Also, if you can determine the
model of motherboard, I may be able to help with jumper settings to crank up the
CPU speed. Or a photo of the motherboard would help, as PB used a lot of Intel
made boards in their early Pentium systems. (After that, they switched to other
motherboard manufacturers, and reliability went downhill.)
The early Intel Plato and comparable LPX motherboards would support nothing
faster than 100Mhz... Ben Myers

Old June 17th 08, 12:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
AWM

Does anyone know how this model was originally loaded (disks or cd)?
It has a create system disks option in the system tools menu which I do not
see on my other versions(I think).
mc

Old June 17th 08, 01:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

mc"AWM" wrote in message

I picked up a legend 402cdw that still has the original HD (500MB) working.
It is an 75MGHz. Is this the actual speed or is it more like 66. Does
anyone know of any tricks to remove nicotine stains? This one obviously had
an ash tray on one side of the computer.If anyone has any spare 32 MB edo's
I could use 4.
thanks
mc- Hide quoted text -

I use alcohol(isopropyl 90%) to clean boards that I buy that have
residue.
Ethyl alcohol (denatured) also works ok
I label them refurbished.
I use mild bleach to clean the outside of units to clean the stains
from smoking that resides
on the plastic case.
Ammonia also works but is known to etch plastics

Painted metal should also follow the above rule