advantages? P650 or P750 over G450

Old June 10th 05, 09:04 PM
Larry Heath

Default advantages? P650 or P750 over G450

Are there any significant advantages that the Matrox P650 or P750 has over
the Matrox G450 32 meg video cards?

My system consists of a Compaq Presario P4 computer model S4300NX running at
2.4 MHz with 2 1/2 gigabytes of RAM memory, two hard disk drives, one is 100
GB, the other is 160 GB. The system has an internal DVD ROM, and CD
ROM/burner plus an external DVD burner. Two printers and Epson stylus Pro
4000 and Epson stylus photo R200. Two scanners are from Epson, models, 3170
and 4990. A 100 MEG zip drive. All the aforementioned external accessories
are on USB 2.0 ports. I have the original compact FP 7317 monitor running
as secondary at 1280x1024 32 bit color on the G450 and a Dell 21" inch FPW
running as primary at 1600x1024 32 bit color. The operating system is XP
with service pack two. I also have Hauppauge 350 TV card installed.

My primary concern is the quality and performance of the video display using
Adobe Photoshop CS. Am I going to see any significant benefits going to the
P650 or P750 over the G450? I also have compatibility issues, crash and burn
issues, with the TV card PVR 350/WinTV2000/Titan TV Programming Guide/WinTV
IR controller, and I am wondering if this may be due to the Matrox G450
display card. I also have Seti At Home, running in background full time. I
also run the Dragon naturally speaking 8.0 dictation program. I have
ZoneAlarmPro firewall running as well PestPatrol and McAfee virus ect.

Anyway, exclusive of the normal stability problems associated with windows
does anyone out there have an insights as to specific compatibility issues
associated with the G450 and any of the above mentioned hodgepodge of
hardware or programming?

Thanks Larry

ps: For what its worth, in case I didn't make it clear above, Hauppauge
support is pretty much useless, for others contemplating this manufacturer,
DON'T!

Old June 11th 05, 03:15 AM
Larc

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:04:07 -0400, "Larry Heath"
wrote:

| Are there any significant advantages that the Matrox P650 or P750 has over
| the Matrox G450 32 meg video cards?

In a word, no! At least not in my experience. In the process of
upgrading my main computer, I bought a P650 to replace a G450 that I
needed keep in the old motherboard I moved to my second system.

I do a lot of graphics editing and haven't seen one iota of difference
in performance between the 450 and the 650. The 650 will enable me to
feed an LCD monitor through the digital connector if I ever decide to
get one, but that's the only real plus I can think of except the fact
that support for the 650 will probably last longer.

Larc

Old June 11th 05, 05:49 AM
Arthur Hagen

wrote:

Are there any significant advantages that the Matrox P650 or P750
has over the Matrox G450 32 meg video cards?

In a word, no! At least not in my experience. In the process of
upgrading my main computer, I bought a P650 to replace a G450 that I
needed keep in the old motherboard I moved to my second system.

I do a lot of graphics editing and haven't seen one iota of difference
in performance between the 450 and the 650. The 650 will enable me to
feed an LCD monitor through the digital connector if I ever decide to
get one, but that's the only real plus I can think of except the fact
that support for the 650 will probably last longer.

Doesn't the P750 support 10 bits per pixel in Photoshop like the
Parhelia does? Getting 1024 shades of grey or green instead of 256 is a
significant difference.

Regards,
--
*Art

Old June 11th 05, 08:14 PM
Larry Heath

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Gents

I will have to look into the 10 bit per pixel gray scale depth, I am doing a
good bit of B&W and being able to broaden the pallet would be excellent.

Later Larry