USB file copy problem

Old April 19th 19, 11:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Default USB file copy problem

I have not posted here in ages as all has been going very well. Now I
finally have a question.

I have an Android phone LG-6 that I back up to my main computer on
occasion. The file copy is extremely slow and just yesterday noticed the
operation stops or does not take place at all on nested folders just two
or three deep.

I have tried both USB-2 and USB-3 ports with the results.

The machine dual boots Win10 and Ubuntu 18.04 and has the same problem
with both operating systems , so I know it's the hardware.

The problem is only evident when I try to backup my phone, no problem
with an external HD.

Since I have five machines in my house that are used frequently I tried
them all and the file copy works fine on two of the machines.

One of them is the newest machine in the house (win10) and the other
one, the oldest (win7).

I'm a bit stumped. Any ideas?
Old April 20th 19, 01:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

philo wrote:
[...]

The protocol used is probably MTP.

Regular USB storage devices use the Mass Storage protocol.

MTP is supposed to be a file-by-file kind of protocol,
but Google made some additions to the protocol which
allow sending pieces of the file at a time (big pieces).
No transfer is segmented a sector at a time.

You can use USBTreeView and verify whether the device
negotiates USB1.1, USB2 or USB3 rates. The PHY rate
would be independent of the lazy ways of MTP protocol.
A separate factor in terms of potential issues.

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html

Paul
Old April 20th 19, 02:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

On 4/19/19 7:49 PM, Paul wrote:
philo wrote:
[...]

Thanks Paul. Gives me something to check.

At least now I know which machines are best for me to use for backup
Old April 20th 19, 06:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

On 4/19/19 8:30 PM, philo wrote:

snip
independent of the lazy ways of MTP protocol.
A separate factor in terms of potential issues.

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html

*** Paul

Thanks Paul. Gives me something to check.

At least now I know which machines are best for me to use for backup

Decided to fool around with the machine I use the most...the one dual
booting Linux and Win10

Zero problems today.

Don't know what to think.
Old April 20th 19, 06:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Just remembered that I did update the OS yesterday.

The latest version avail for my phone is 8.0

I had been running 7.1

Maybe there was some bug that was corrected?